Dragon Age 2 Demo is like watching a movie and pressing 1.2.3....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kingeliran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kingeliran
Member since 2005 • 1069 Posts

the demo sucked no way near DAO, it was like 2 min playing (when i say play, i mean pressing 1,2 buttons) and a cutsene, again 2 min and a cutsene.

and what the hell, they fast forward all the arrival to kirkwall, dunno why,but the game is annoying i cant get into the game enough, and whats up with all the short annoying loading times in a middle of a cutsene?

AND WHERE THE HELL IS ALL THE SKILLS?!!??!?!?! alchemy, tracking, traps,

in short, it feels like DA origin was actully improvment of the sequel.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
No need for your own thread http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27588008&page=14&tag=topics%3Blastpage
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
No need for your own thread http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27588008&page=14&tag=topics%3Blastpagebonafidetk
This link will trap you in the UK, you must not click it.
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

They removed skills it's been confirmed

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

its a demo so im sure thats why things were cut out. idk having more cutscenes is kinda nice, seeing as how my main draw to DA:O was the story. im surprised and find myself really liking the demo, the combat feels a lot more fluid than DA:O if that makes any sense. will be getting this game, but not at launch, will wait for price to drop

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Pressing 1, 2, 3? We were not playing the same game.
kingeliran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kingeliran
Member since 2005 • 1069 Posts
no skills is lame u can actully see they rushed the game.... thats why they removed the skills.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

You guys do realise what you play in the demo takes place near the begining of the game yes? So its obvious you wont have all the slots unlocked and characters developed. From what I have played the game is fine, and will be better with the full release. From what i have read its still hard as hell and it still requires you to use the pause function.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

You guys do realise what you play in the demo takes place near the begining of the game yes? So its obvious you wont have all the slots unlocked and characters developed. From what I have played the game is fine, and will be better with the full release. From what i have read its still hard as hell and it still requires you to use the pause function.

rzepak
This is EXACTLY the reason why I am not playing the demo...
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
no skills is lame u can actully see they rushed the game.... thats why they removed the skills.kingeliran
How sure are you that this is not only because its a Demo? I mean if I was Bioware I would remove that to make the Demo easier to access.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Elann2008

[QUOTE="rzepak"]

FelipeInside

True. Some people mistaken the demo for a last stage build. It's an old build. Like Daytona said, demos don't usually have all the features available so that it can be more accessible to play. Giving too much away in a demo only sets up people for disappointment. Sometimes, it confuses people like the gentleman above.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#12 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

They've definately made it more tailored to the console controller. From what I've seen in the demo, you don't need to pause and think of tactics as much as you did in the first game.

I still enjoyed it, but I would have preferred they had stuck closer to the original. I kinda had fun when all but the female templar knight died when fighting the Ogre and a bunch of the small darkspawn. I was able to actually move out of the way of the ogre's charge, stomp and punch attacks, move around to its back and attack it. I liked how good the hit detection was.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

They've definately made it more tailored to the console controller. From what I've seen in the demo, you don't need to pause and think of tactics as much as you did in the first game.

I still enjoyed it, but I would have preferred they had stuck closer to the original. I kinda had fun when all but the female templar knight died when fighting the Ogre and a bunch of the small darkspawn. I was able to actually move out of the way of the ogre's charge, stomp and punch attacks, move around to its back and attack it. I liked how good the hit detection was.

-Unreal-

have fun dying with that logic (in red). The combat hasn't changed from DA:O, they only use flashy animations to sync it up better

redsoull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 redsoull
Member since 2008 • 252 Posts

Troll? or you actualy expect a level 1 to start off with skills !!!??!?

The demo is great, grapichs look nice, gameplay is awesome, the loading? Lol it takes half a second?

If not you better get a new system or play on lower specs.

What ive seen tasted like more, great game.

and again, its a freaking demo !

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Yeah, the demo was horrible. Bioware just keeps getting worse and worse.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

What is everyone complaining about? This is the type of stuff you all have been screaming about. Everyone always moaning about story over everything, constantly crying about deep games (mechanic wise) that are "ruined" by crappy stories...well...here ya go...game devs are listening to you!

:lol:

Personally I think the focus on story and lame brain "character interaction" has been killing games especially RPG's. At least for me...I really hate this kind of game design. Give me cool environments to explore, deep mechanics, awesome character progression and skills, tactical (even turn based) combat, intersting worlds, and atmosphere over story/cinematics any day of the week.

Anyways for me the first Dragon Age felt like playing/watching a soap opera for gamers and bored me to tears. The second one looks the same, so I'll probably skip it. Mass Effect 1/2 I had to play as a 3rd person shooter instead of a RPG...which worked well because I did enjoy them. But still...not what I look for in a RPG.

There's absolutely no doubt the quality of Bioware games is top notch...and I am sure for the people who enjoy them their games are fantastic. For me, they make some of the most boring RPG's on the planet. I think the last Bioware game I really enjoyed was NWN.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

the demo sucked no way near DAO, it was like 2 min playing (when i say play, i mean pressing 1,2 buttons) and a cutsene, again 2 min and a cutsene.

and what the hell, they fast forward all the arrival to kirkwall, dunno why,but the game is annoying i cant get into the game enough, and whats up with all the short annoying loading times in a middle of a cutsene?

kingeliran
Your level 1... Trapping, tracking and alchemy were quite useless in which the only time I saw any need for them is for soloing.. Alchemy was another useless skill because it took absolutely NOTHING to get it, because characters you got already had it.. And the demo was merely a show case of the combat in how it changed..
Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

It's a rough, rushed demo. My first impression of it was horrible.

I played through a second time as a different character and enjoyed it a lot more, but it's still pretty awful. They skipped a lot of gameplay. Naturally it won't be like that in the full game. I hope.

Avatar image for Marilyn_slimson
Marilyn_slimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Marilyn_slimson
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

Why did this demo suck so bad? They have clearly eliminated the essence of the RPG - that dragon age was...The graphics are cartoonish now...

This looks like Devil May Cry + Dragon Age Origins = DA2. There was no BLOOD? Usually after a battle, everybody was loathed in blood and there was actual skill involved because if you were bad in your combat choices (pausing and utilizing every class's unique moves) you were pretty much toast.

And yes this game is commercialized to show everyone how RPG's are.. but they have FAILED..They didn't do that to Mass Effect 2 and I hope that Mass Effect 3 is dumbed down like Dragon Age was.

These stupid actions and light combinations make the game look more like toonish than anything else... Where are the damage numbers?!

Why does this mechanism suck so bad? If only BioWare could come on this thread and answer...

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

What is everyone complaining about? This is the type of stuff you all have been screaming about. Everyone always moaning about story over everything, constantly crying about deep games (mechanic wise) that are "ruined" by crappy stories...well...here ya go...game devs are listening to you!

Personally I think the focus on story and lame brain "character interaction" has been killing games especially RPG's. At least for me...I really hate this kind of game design. Give me cool environments to explore, deep mechanics, awesome character progression and skills, tactical (even turn based) combat, intersting worlds, and atmosphere over story/cinematics any day of the week.

Anyways for me the first Dragon Age felt like playing/watching a soap opera for gamers and bored me to tears. The second one looks the same, so I'll probably skip it. Mass Effect 1/2 I had to play as a 3rd person shooter instead of a RPG...which worked well because I did enjoy them. But still...not what I look for in a RPG.

There's absolutely no doubt the quality of Bioware games is top notch...and I am sure for the people who enjoy them their games are fantastic. For me, they make some of the most boring RPG's on the planet. I think the last Bioware game I really enjoyed was NWN.

Renevent42
Pretty much this, ME2 was great as a TPS but as an RPG is pretty terrible. Bioware makes high quality games, there is no doubt about that, but they just don't feel that engaging or deep. I'm almost hoping ME3 is mostly an action game, because I think they do show some real talent for creating these actiony, cinematic type games.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008
[QUOTE="kingeliran"]

sSubZerOo
Your level 1... Trapping, tracking and alchemy were quite useless in which the only time I saw any need for them is for soloing.. Alchemy was another useless skill because it took absolutely NOTHING to get it, because characters you got already had it.. And the demo was merely a show case of the combat in how it changed..

Agreed. I didn't bother with any of those "skills" at all. I saw no point in using them. Unlike The Witcher, where alchemy was useful.
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

kingeliran

****in' keyboards, how do they work?

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

The demo was okay, but I wasn't a fan of the first so my opinion doesn't matter. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Why did this demo suck so bad? They have clearly eliminated the essence of the RPG - that dragon age was...The graphics are cartoonish now...

.... They both have a unique artstyles, and your going to have to show us how its cartoony compared to the first..

This looks like Devil May Cry + Dragon Age Origins = DA2. There was no BLOOD? Usually after a battle, everybody was loathed in blood and there was actual skill involved because if you were bad in your combat choices (pausing and utilizing every class's unique moves) you were pretty much toast.

That sounds like a problem of your game.. My game had plenty of blood.. And the demo it self got pretty tough in the end.. And I am assuming this was at normal difficulty so we can assume there is going to be at least 2 harder difficulties..

And yes this game is commercialized to show everyone how RPG's are.. but they have FAILED..They didn't do that to Mass Effect 2 and I hope that Mass Effect 3 is dumbed down like Dragon Age was.

These stupid actions and light combinations make the game look more like toonish than anything else... Where are the damage numbers?!

.. You have the option to turn them on in the main options menu... And I am trying figure out what mean about the first one.. Because at level 1 many actions.. Hell in the first one if your a thief or warrior you have very few abilities.. The only thing I noticed in difference is the combat obviously faster..

Why does this mechanism suck so bad? If only BioWare could come on this thread and answer...

Marilyn_slimson

Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
I thought the demo was great. I can only imagine how much better the full version is :)
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside
For those who have played the demo. ARE THE GRAPHICS BETTER than Part 1 or not...?
pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts
Its debatable, I can't agree if someone says one is clearly better than the other. The graphics are locked in medium also. The visuals are clearly different and have different style. The visuals look more clean but don't know if its just the demo levels but I felt it was less detailed. The facial experssions are less visible detailed though I felt. I don't think its bad nor much better just a different direction. I'm fine with it, fine with both was fine with DA:O
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

Gooeykat
Pretty much this, ME2 was great as a TPS but as an RPG is pretty terrible. Bioware makes high quality games, there is no doubt about that, but they just don't feel that engaging or deep. I'm almost hoping ME3 is mostly an action game, because I think they do show some real talent for creating these actiony, cinematic type games.

Mass Effect was meant to be action oriented from the beginning. It never was an actual RPG
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside
Its debatable, I can't agree if someone says one is clearly better than the other. The graphics are locked in medium also. The visuals are clearly different and have different style. The visuals look more clean but don't know if its just the demo levels but I felt it was less detailed. The facial experssions are less visible detailed though I felt. I don't think its bad nor much better just a different direction. I'm fine with it, fine with both was fine with DA:Opcgamer_07
If it's locked on medium then we can't tell yet. From the gameplay videos I have seen, DA2 looks a lot more "simple" "console" graphics-like than it's predecessor. I'm not talking about combat, content or story.... just the looks.
KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

If it's locked on medium then we can't tell yet. From the gameplay videos I have seen, DA2 looks a lot more "simple" "console" graphics-like than it's predecessor. I'm not talking about combat, content or story.... just the looks.FelipeInside

I wish there was a way to unlock DX11 features on the demo...

shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts
I hate how the frequency with which the loading screen comes up.
shane_orija

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shane_orija
Member since 2008 • 910 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]For those who have played the demo. ARE THE GRAPHICS BETTER than Part 1 or not...?

The character models are awesome, much better than in the first. The textures are kinda meh.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

This is why I dont post here anymore, Gamespot forums seem to attract the most opinionated, and hateful gamers I have ever seen. have fun nitpicking and hating everygame that comes out. This place is so lame, complaing about not having all the skills available to you in a demo? Please

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

This is why I dont post here anymore, Gamespot forums seem to attract the most opinionated, and hateful gamers I have ever seen. have fun nitpicking and hating everygame that comes out. This place is so lame, complaing about not having all the skills available to you in a demo? Please

Advid-Gamer

I know, it's terrible, but at least there is a decent community on the legacy console forums.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

[QUOTE="rzepak"]

FelipeInside

the demo is actually a lot like the beginning to Prototype. You select your **** and they let you tool around with a lot of cool skills you get at later levels, then the plot line kicks in and goes "wait a minute" and BOOP! your skills are taken away and your back to level 1 basic noob.

as far as the gameplay of DA2, well, to be perfectly honest 80% of the fun for me in DA1 was the plot and progression. Skills and stiff are cool, as is tactical gameplay, but for a franchise like DA it would benefit greatly from being both fun to play and fun to watch.

In my experience, Dragon Age Origins was fun the first time through because it was fresh. The story was new, and the gameplay was acceptable enough. The second time through, it was a chore . Not gonna lie; the Origins stories were decent enough, but ultimately negligable. The gameplay was, dare I say, tedious...and definately boring to watch.

I will say this: Bioware is famous/infamous for streamlining gameplay. Theyre a developer that not only learn from their mistakes (which is tough, considering the first installments of their games are top notch), but they do not rest on their laurels and will often do a 360 to change up the pace, gameplay, and storytelling of their games.

ME1 and ME2 are similiar, but ultimately completely different games despite being in both the same franchise and the same genre. And, in my humble opinion, ME2 is the superior game.

Bioware is, in short, gaming evolution-lightning in a bottle...the change they do is great, significant, and arguably for the better...but some people cant handle it

/end drunken rant

/gnight

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]For those who have played the demo. ARE THE GRAPHICS BETTER than Part 1 or not...?shane_orija
The character models are awesome, much better than in the first. The textures are kinda meh.

i think the textures will be awesome.

the reason people are disappointed is because the demo takes place in ugly blighted land where nothing grows. Basically imagine a forest without the trees and grass and fury animals. Horrible, right?

Exactly

and thats why people are disappointed...because it looks horrible...like its supposed to.

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

[QUOTE="shane_orija"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]For those who have played the demo. ARE THE GRAPHICS BETTER than Part 1 or not...?mrbojangles25

the reason people are disappointed is because the demo takes place in ugly blighted land where nothing grows. Basically imagine a forest without the trees and grass and fury animals. Horrible, right?

Exactly

and thats why people are disappointed...because it looks horrible...like its supposed to.

Tbh I am less disappointed in the atmosphere then I am in most of the armor it just looks bad the textures bleh.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="shane_orija"] The character models are awesome, much better than in the first. The textures are kinda meh.Empirefrtw

Exactly

Tbh I am less disappointed in the atmosphere then I am in most of the armor it just looks bad the textures bleh.

the textures were good imo, I just thought the armor looked too "busy", if that made any sense.

I mean, we come across this templar and he is wearingbasically a fancy trenchcoat...wtf give that dude some PLATE!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FelipeInside

Advid-Gamer
And that's why no one cares about your opinion here either.... since you flat out insulted everyone on this forum
Avatar image for WorldComingDown
WorldComingDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 WorldComingDown
Member since 2010 • 358 Posts

Advid-Gamer

Haha. Hmm yeah this is what it is like at the majority of forums out there mate. Besides you think this is bad? Head over to MMORPG.com and check out some threads on just about any MMO. Good job on deciding to come back to these forums only to pick out one thread with a negative title and attempt to insult everyone in here. Bahaha GTFO.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

The demo was ok. You can't zoom out as much as you could in DA, but I mostly played it zoomed in anyway.

But the textures looked like **** in DX9 maxed out, I hope the final version looks better.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Yup, its exactly like that, i also find very facepalm worthy that half the options are missing from both gameplay and controls. I mean, this is a demo of a demo, 1234, FINISH!!
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

WorldComingDown

Haha. Hmm yeah this is what it is like at the majority of forums out there mate. Besides you think this is bad? Head over to MMORPG.com and check out some threads on just about any MMO. Good job on deciding to come back to these forums only to pick out one thread with a negative title and attempt to insult everyone in here. Bahaha GTFO.

Just ignore him World, like everyone else does. This thread is only negative on the first post. The rest is about discussing a few different aspects of the game.