DOTA2 is one of the clunkiest games I've ever played.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I tried to give the game a chance, I really did, must have downloaded it like 6 times.

But I simply cant get past how ridiculously clunky the gameplay is when compared to any other MOBA out there.

The interface is just horrible, if you misclick on a place you might end up opening a giant tab that can only be closed by manually clicking on a tiny X, so if it happens while you're in battle, you're screwed.

Inexplicably being unable to buy some items despite having the cash for it and the ingredients from secret shop.

And the balance, dear lord, the balance...

This is where the game simply gets me..., balance is non existing, there are some crazy OP characters while others are terrible, this isn't just a case of "noobstompers" characters, it's downright horrible balance decisions.

Take Pudge, for example, his hook range is just ridiculous, he can hook you from literally twice your FOV, so unless you have wards placed every-fucking-where, you can't really do anything about him. Not only that, but once he hooks you, he alone kills you in less than 5 seconds unless you're a super tanky character.

Now, LoL has a similar character called Blitzcrank, the difference being: Blitz is actually balanced, his Hook range is much shorter and if he grabs you on his own (with no teammates to help him), you'll most likely survive the encounter, because the devs figured that if he is a character with so much utility, he should not be able to deal crazy amounts of damage by default.

Then you got others, like the drow ranger, who despite being an ADC, can 1vs5 the enemy team if she has 4 kills or so. Or Doombringer, his ultimate is like a 15 seconds silence which also makes you lose like 70% of your health, so again, unless you're a huge tank, or you are 2 steps away from fountain, you're going to die, fast, with no way of countering this.

LoL also has its amount of noobstompers characters, but they are much more balanced than the ones in DOTA.

DOTA simply seems to be a "powerfest", where character designers just make a bet on who can create the most broken character in the game, no one will care about balance, because the first person to complain about it will be dismissed as "total noob who cant play dota".

And to this day, I have not found a single person who liked DOTA2 after playing LoL, HoN or even Smite, for exactly the same reason, nobody thinks that the game is balanced after playing those.

DOTA players claim that DOTA is far more balanced and has a higher skillcap because skills and it's effects hit way harder than in other mobas, but this is total BS, it aint higher skill cap, it's just a game that severely punishes mistakes you make during defense while patting your back for those made during attacking.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

MOBA aren't known for their gameplay. I mean, how much mechanical depth can a developer squeeze out of a mouse with two buttons ?

Especially where RPG Elements are involved, theres bound to be some imbalance..

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

Hey man I respect what you're saying and I understand it can be really difficult for newcomers to get a proper dota experience in under 40-60 hours. I believe it takes at least 100 hours for someone to get the full dota2 experience, also I recommend you to play it with some experienced dota players because when you start winning and when you start incorporating successful strategies to counter the opposing team, the feeling is unmatched. It's so rewarding when you and your buddies outsmart and outplay the other team and you begin to feel good about your time invested learning the game. I've played HoN for over 1,500 hours, and LoL for around 250 hours, but I like dota2 the most and it's the moba I play now and decided to invest my time.

Dota 2 only introduces new heroes every couple of months, opposed to HoN where there is a new hero every 2 weeks. This undoubtedly helps the balancing in dota because it holds their roster of heroes together without any imba heroes combos, there are counters for every line up and that's what it sounds like what your problem is. You're saying that certain heroes are over powered, however that isn't the case. Your opponents probably countered the hero picks your team made, making it very easy for them to beat you, however that in now way makes those heroes overpowered because there are other heroes that also counter the heroes that countered your heroes. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

It's this core countering mechanic in dota that makes it shine so bright, and that's why it's the most popular moba. The game revolves around it's tight roster of heroes that are all balanced, taking into the fact that certain heroes counter others, but it doesn't mean they are overpowered. If all the heroes in dota were equally powered, then obviously matches would end up in stale mate, however there needs to be weaknesses and strengths to heroes to make the game interesting and have levels of depth to it.

I think you should take more time learning dota 2 before judging it because it sounds like you haven't spend enough time playing it to understand it fully. Dota 2 is a very fun and rewarding game and I can't stop playing it because it makes me feel like a skilled player when I captain a team and cleverly counter pick the other team, it's a rewarding feeling that is unmatched and that can't be found in any other game.

Hope you properly regard this and make take dota 2 into consideration again.

ankor77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ankor77
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

Having around 600 hrs into dota2, its all about the 5v5 matchup. not your 1v1 matchup. In All Pick you should pick a real team. There are some characters that are going to die alot to support. If doombringers Doom ability is bother you buy a linkens sphere which will aleviate a targeted spell. I think dota2 has great balance for those who truly learn to play the game.

Dota does have a VERY steep learning curve. You must play a ton to really know how to play. How much time did you really put into dota?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

@lightleggy said:

I tried to give the game a chance, I really did, must have downloaded it like 6 times.

But I simply cant get past how ridiculously clunky the gameplay is when compared to any other MOBA out there.

The interface is just horrible, if you misclick on a place you might end up opening a giant tab that can only be closed by manually clicking on a tiny X, so if it happens while you're in battle, you're screwed.

Inexplicably being unable to buy some items despite having the cash for it and the ingredients from secret shop.

And the balance, dear lord, the balance...

This is where the game simply gets me..., balance is non existing, there are some crazy OP characters while others are terrible, this isn't just a case of "noobstompers" characters, it's downright horrible balance decisions.

Take Pudge, for example, his hook range is just ridiculous, he can hook you from literally twice your FOV, so unless you have wards placed every-fucking-where, you can't really do anything about him. Not only that, but once he hooks you, he alone kills you in less than 5 seconds unless you're a super tanky character.

Now, LoL has a similar character called Blitzcrank, the difference being: Blitz is actually balanced, his Hook range is much shorter and if he grabs you on his own (with no teammates to help him), you'll most likely survive the encounter, because the devs figured that if he is a character with so much utility, he should not be able to deal crazy amounts of damage by default.

Then you got others, like the drow ranger, who despite being an ADC, can 1vs5 the enemy team if she has 4 kills or so. Or Doombringer, his ultimate is like a 15 seconds silence which also makes you lose like 70% of your health, so again, unless you're a huge tank, or you are 2 steps away from fountain, you're going to die, fast, with no way of countering this.

LoL also has its amount of noobstompers characters, but they are much more balanced than the ones in DOTA.

DOTA simply seems to be a "powerfest", where character designers just make a bet on who can create the most broken character in the game, no one will care about balance, because the first person to complain about it will be dismissed as "total noob who cant play dota".

And to this day, I have not found a single person who liked DOTA2 after playing LoL, HoN or even Smite, for exactly the same reason, nobody thinks that the game is balanced after playing those.

DOTA players claim that DOTA is far more balanced and has a higher skillcap because skills and it's effects hit way harder than in other mobas, but this is total BS, it aint higher skill cap, it's just a game that severely punishes mistakes you make during defense while patting your back for those made during attacking.

You shouldn't get hooked by Pudge. Pudge is a mid character - when he goes missing, be wary. Keep an eye out for hooks and dodge them. It's really his only trick. He's a kinda shitty hero otherwise and tapers off HARD. He has a 47.99% win rate, so he is not overpowered.

Doom's trick is, well, doom. Takes one guy out of a fight. Other than that, he's not that great. He has a 48.77% win rate, so likewise, he is not overpowered. Drow has a 52.76% win rate, which is a little above average, but not outright stupid. Really squishy, and IIRC, if she's not shooting from near max range, she loses her damage buff.

The highest win rate for a hero is something like 57% now, so, while some heroes are far more viable than others, there is definitely nothing that can't be countered. It's a MOBA, though, so it'll take a while for you to get used to the nuances of it. It plays a bit differently than LoL (which, admittedly, I couldn't get into after after a few hundred hours of Dota).

Balance is actually one thing I think Dota does quite well.

The side shop thing could be a glitch as I have had problems with it before.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2770 Posts

@lightleggy: you'll never get into dota with the mentality of "unlike lol", because that just means you prefer lol which in turn means you shouldn't bother with dota if you just want lol in a different skin.

as someone who regularly plays both games, i can understand it can be really frustrating to get used to the other. after long lol sessions i can't last hit or deny anything in dota, and after long dota sessions i miss just about every skill shot in lol. for a while, then i just get used to it.

you just need to practice and get accustomed to the mechanics of dota2, it feels harder because other players can steamroll you easily but that's not a sign of imbalance. any competitive shooter will have players that will instagib newcomers so fast they won't even know what hit 'em. they can do that to veterans too. the difference is that experienced players know what they did wrong and what they could have done right. beyond that, the outcome may be identical. once you learn popular places where pudge can pull you from you will 1. keep moving, 2. stand behind creeps, 3. place wards, 4. counter his ult.

the margin for error in dota is much smaller than lol so it feels like the game is imbalanced. taking the example of pudge and drow ranger, either of these heroes can kill each other in a matter of seconds, it just depends who lands their skills properly. this is an indication of good balance, not imbalance.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12475 Posts

Never tried DOTA, not because anything but the whole Warcraft theme doesn't appeal me anymore.

I did love Smite and LoL

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Crying about Pudge... hahahaha. If anything he needs a bit of a buff. Rarely see Pudge being picked at all because he is so easy to counter.

Same with Drow Ranger, no escape mechanism, slow movement speed, low hp. If you get 5v1'd by a Drow then you either fed him all game and you're 60 minutes in ( even then it would be hard ) or you're team has no clue what they're doing.

I think you just need to learn to play bro. Not being mean but with 1000 hours played I can tell you. Those heroes you listed there are not even CLOSE to being the "problematic OP heroes" you might encounter if you keep playing. LOOKING AT YOU BRISTLEBACK! ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I stopped reading... at the start. then I saw complaints about pudge and balance. realised I'm probably reading a crappy LoL noob post... ironically complaining about balance.... that game... everyone does the same damn thing.

Difference between DoTA 2 and LoL? that "power fest" is nothing more than "brutally punished for foolish mistakes" ... you should know where pudge is at all times, or at least know he is missing, you know where he can hook from, it should be warded.... his entire roll is to murder people early game, and provide somewhat tanky / grab utility end game.

But why am I bothering? I've played LoL recently... such a joke easy game where skills don't stand out.

Thresh and Blitzacrank are boring compared to Pudge. the hook radius is too small and boring. but then this is lol all over.... character skills don't determine outcomes, just who can blink and farm the most... pathetically easy game that does not punish you for mistakes nowhere near enough.

Hell people live so long half the time most ganks end in a "oh I can freely get away".

LoL tournements are a running joke compared to DoTAs .... the teams are never the same because its luck based grind and bash at the end.

DROW RANGER? LMAO

"Hey guys, I played a few games of DoTA, coming from the casual dumbed down version I have no idea whats going on so instead I will whine on a forum because I suck... but ofc ITS BALANCE's FAULT."

Game has been "balancing" alot longer than LoL.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

And don't get me started on "clunky" .... your obviously doing something wrong. but then the item list in DoTA is alot more complex than LoLs ... other than that, its all you mate. nobody else. nothing clunky about it.

I got bored of LoL pretty quickly.

fed up of 2-5 minute load times by 5 year old kids with a hamster wheel powered computer... and ofc, lol being that graphically outdated, yet having appalling load times is a joke.

Love grinding 10-20 hours to unlock 1 character.... so much fun.....