• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zhivago_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 zhivago_x
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts

The original Doom and Quake are the only two titles that actually revolutionized the genre in terms of graphics, sound and gameplay. Wolfenstien 3d may have been the first but it was Doom that created the entire genre people call FPS. And the original Quake brought, along with superb production, full 3D objects and one crazy soundtrack (Nine Inch Nails). Everything since the first Quake was the improvement over the original basic formula in terms of graphics or gameplay but essentially nothing new or fundamentally different.

My favorite among those two? Well, Quake 2. I had some crazy deathmatch games playing that game on a mighty Voodoo 2 3d accelerator. Although I must admit Doom 3 carries its years pretty well.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#52 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
[QUOTE="zeus_gb"]

I wouldn't say the game is mediocre but the game play is very repetitive.

Gooeykat

That's about the funniest thing I ever read. All doom and quake games are repetitive. To criticize Doom 3 for being repetitive is very amusing.

I'm glad I could amuse you.

FPS games are repetitive but Doom 3 takes it to a whole new level.

Foreward66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Foreward66
Member since 2007 • 144 Posts

well both games are great and Doom was my first FPS game ever, but still i ahve to go with Quake, i mean im still playing quake 3 and i have a clan in it so i guess they would be pissed if i chose Doom :p

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#54 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
[QUOTE="Gooeykat"][QUOTE="zeus_gb"]

zeus_gb

That's about the funniest thing I ever read. All doom and quake games are repetitive. To criticize Doom 3 for being repetitive is very amusing.

Well, you are entitled to you're opinion of course, but Doom and Quake have always been a repetitive fragfest and Doom 3 actually was a little different (slow and go) from what id did in the past. My guess, is that this is actually what you are actually taking issue with, not the repetitiveness. So all FPS are repetitive? I wasn't talking about all FPS, I was talking about Doom and Quake. But that's interesting that you think this. I would say there are many FPS that don't have repetitive gameplay, the Half Life series is good example.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[QUOTE="thanatose"]

[QUOTE="Zillaschool"]Doom is the grandfather of all fps game.zeus_gb

Not true, Wolfenstein 3D is the grandfather of all FPS games, Doom is more like the great uncle. :)

There was even two FPS style games before Wolfenstein 3D but that's the one that put FPS on the map. Doom took the map and blew it up.

Indeed. It doesn't matter what came first. Doom wrote the book on everything FPS and popularized them to no end.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I played Doom a lot more, so I'd have to say that.

Thing about Quake is I can look back now and see how good it was, but at the time I was just tired of FPS games. I had played Doom and Doom2, along with making all kinds of level mods back in the day... then I was hooked on Duke 3d for a long time, played through Rise of the Triad and a whole bunch of similar FPS B-listers of that era... by the time Quake came out, I just kinda fell out of it. I did get into it for a while because I liked making levels in 3d, but by then new stuff was coming out and then it became really tough to make new levels so I was just like screw it.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
Quakeworld is the greatest multiplayer game ever created. Maybe greatest game, period. Nothing tops it. Every multiplayer game since then and before it has completely paled in comparison.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
Doom gets my vote, it was tough though.
prasath_amd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 prasath_amd
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

Quakeworld is the greatest multiplayer game ever created. Maybe greatest game, period. Nothing tops it. Every multiplayer game since then and before it has completely paled in comparison. Zeliard9

Counter Strike is another legendary FPS........

kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts

Quake.

after playing it I tried Doom and Doom2. the graphics and gameplay of these two were clearly inferior. Quake was the first fully 3D game. Scary as hell but incredible levels. I didn't play much MP, just SP.

Finished Q2 campaign maybe like 10 times. So I liked that one, too

zimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 zimson
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Quake for sure.

Quake 2 was awesome. Quake 3 was great fun. Haven't played Quake 4 much (only 5 minutes to test it out) but it seems very playable. Hoping to pick it up sometimes soon when I get a better PC.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 zeus_gb
[QUOTE="zeus_gb"][QUOTE="Gooeykat"][QUOTE="zeus_gb"]

Gooeykat

Well, you are entitled to you're opinion of course, but Doom and Quake have always been a repetitive fragfest and Doom 3 actually was a little different (slow and go) from what id did in the past. My guess, is that this is actually what you are actually taking issue with, not the repetitiveness. So all FPS are repetitive? I wasn't talking about all FPS, I was talking about Doom and Quake. But that's interesting that you think this. I would say there are many FPS that don't have repetitive gameplay, the Half Life series is good example.

The thing I have an issue with in Doom 3 is the go into a room, doors lock, get ambushed, go into next room same thing happens etc etc.
Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#63 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Stop acting like an idiot, every game can be dumbed down to that. Replace ambush with puzzle and you got Portal. I hate Portal but nobody else seems to so you're saying you hate Portal too then?
prasath_amd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 prasath_amd
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

Stop acting like an idiot, every game can be dumbed down to that. Replace ambush with puzzle and you got Portal. I hate Portal but nobody else seems to so you're saying you hate Portal too then?Kev_Boy

So if u replace ambush with puzzle then u get Portal? I think not. Portal is just a simple but powerful play mechanic......Portal is awesome , addictive , mind-blowing & yet simple..... :)

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Didn't like Wolf3D and I didn't like ROTT. I just thought they were stupid at the time. Doom was a good game. I didn't like quake though. It just seemed of the wall. But quake II was much better.

For me the best of the classics were Duke3D & Blood.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 zeus_gb

Didn't like Wolf3D and I didn't like ROTT. I just thought they were stupid at the time. Doom was a good game. I didn't like quake though. It just seemed of the wall. But quake II was much better.

For me the best of the classics were Duke3D & Blood.

MagnumPI
Didn't like ROTT even with it's dynamic lightning and masked walls? shocking! :O
agux987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 agux987
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts
They' re great but I like QUAKE
ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#68 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

Never been a Quake fan (check the avatar)

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT1GaD6B_Lk&feature=related