This topic is locked from further discussion.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I just saw a doom 4 gameplay video on youtube. seems legit. why are there no topics on this?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_: Because we already seen it and discussed it during E3 and Gamescom. Unless there is a new video or information out there, there is no obvious reason why a discussion for this would still be active.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_: Because it was shown everywhere over a month ago. Old news. Personally I thought it looked boring and I pretty much lost all interest in the game.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

No one is talking about it and it was never a big deal because it looks pretty lame. Nothing like watching someone shoot enemies with a shotgun and only dealing minor damage to them, so then the strategy is to run up to them and insta-kill them with a melee move.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_

Well my fucking bad for being busy and having no clue. It does look lame btw... so sad :/

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Dying to play it, looks like a mix of Bulletstorm gameplay and Doom 3 atmosphere

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

It's Doom. It will be vanilla, yet it will be awesome.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _SKatEDiRt_

What potential do you guys see in it? See i fell in love with Doom 3's atmosphere and artwork. It made me feel like i was truely in the bowels of hell and fighting for my life. All you need are so studio monitors and a dark room. turn it up full blast and have toilet paper nearby.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

Dying to play it, looks like a mix of Bulletstorm gameplay and Doom 3 atmosphere

Yeah, to my eyes it looks freaking awesome. Doom 4 and Shadow Warrior 2 are my most anticipated FPS's...can't wait.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Renevent42 said:
@PredatorRules said:

Yeah, to my eyes it looks freaking awesome. Doom 4 and Shadow Warrior 2 are my most anticipated FPS's...can't wait.

What do you think looks awesome about it other than it has decent graphics? Just curious.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:
@Renevent42 said:
@PredatorRules said:

What do you think looks awesome about it other than it has decent graphics? Just curious.

Great job on shadows and lighting, textures look decent as you've said, artstyle and the whole atmosphere adds a lot to the visuals in general

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KHAndAnime

@PredatorRules said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@Renevent42 said:
@PredatorRules said:

Great job on shadows and lighting, textures look decent as you've said, artstyle and the whole atmosphere adds a lot to the visuals in general

I meant aside from the graphical aspect :P

Like, from a gameplay perspective, it just looked really weak. Weaker than Doom 3, even. Doom 3 at least experimented with lighting and darkness. Here, there's none of that so we just have the gunplay, yet... the weapons looked really lacking in punch, and the melee looked like it instantly 1-shotted everything (where a super shotgun wouldn't work), which makes me question: why would you use a gun in this game? Shouldn't Doom be about fun gunplay? Not running around meleeing every other enemy? That was never really part of Doom's gameplay...

As we all know, the shotgun was famous in the Doom saga for dealing an effective, satisfying blow. Yet both the regular shotgun and super shotgun look weak as hell in this (unable to 1-shot guys where melee got 1-hit kill), which makes me wonder: how did they mess it up so bad?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@PredatorRules said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@Renevent42 said:
@PredatorRules said:

Like, from a gameplay perspective, it just looked really weak. Like, weaker than Doom 3. The weapons looked really lacking in punch, and the melee looked like it instantly 1-shotted everything (where a super shotgun wouldn't work), which makes me question: why would you use a gun in this game? Shouldn't Doom be about fun gunplay? Not running around meleeing every other enemy? That was never really part of Doom's gameplay...

The guns sounded better than Doom 3 IMO, which were low quality and sounded like tin cans. I liked Doom 3 overall though. Anyways Doom 4 the game play is faster (closer to Doom 2), levels appear to be larger and more open/vertical (unlike Doom 3 which were all fairly linear corridors), and I really like the added gore system. Also, I believe you can only do a melee kill once you hit them a few times with guns (they flash) so you will def have to do plenty of shooting.

They clearly took inspiration from Brutal Doom (awesome mod, btw), which is a great thing and I think Doom 4 looks like it plays a whole lot closer to the originals than Doom 3 does.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GeryGo  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:
@PredatorRules said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@Renevent42 said:
@PredatorRules said:

Like, from a gameplay perspective, it just looked really weak. Weaker than Doom 3, even. Doom 3 at least experimented with lighting and darkness. Here, there's none of that so we just have the gunplay, yet... the weapons looked really lacking in punch, and the melee looked like it instantly 1-shotted everything (where a super shotgun wouldn't work), which makes me question: why would you use a gun in this game? Shouldn't Doom be about fun gunplay? Not running around meleeing every other enemy? That was never really part of Doom's gameplay...

I agree about the new finishers - well... it's new...

About the guns lacking punch I wouldn't be worried since they've made Doom 3 and Rage excellent in that perspective.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_: The thing that bothered me about the gameplay trailer was that they were clearly using a controller.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _SKatEDiRt_

@GummiRaccoon said:

@_SKatEDiRt_: The thing that bothered me about the gameplay trailer was that they were clearly using a controller.

I know right. WTF?!

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@_SKatEDiRt_: Not sure, but I grew up on Doom/Heretic and Hexen and it looks freakin' awesome.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I'm looking forward to the new Doom for some pick-up-and-play entertainment. My gripes are though that the weapons don't pack a big punch (this is after playing Brutal Doom), the speed isn't quite there and the finish-off moves will probably get repetitive.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#19 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I loved Doom 3, so the move back to hyperspeed parkour stuff is not that appealing. Also it still looks based heavily on idTech5, as you can see in the videos there are weapons that had their textures load in when you switched to them (disgusting) and the environment looks full of blurry, muddy textures. Although the dynamic lighting looks better (has to look better than none at all) it still looks inadequate. Of course I am getting it, but my expectations are for a mediocre experience slightly better than RAGE

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I think people were looking more for the run and gun or desperate running backward and firing gameplay of the original Doom with modern graphics.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_

@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

@_SKatEDiRt_: Not sure, but I grew up on Doom/Heretic and Hexen and it looks freakin' awesome.

Well if those games were your upbringing i can understand completely. In that sense yes it does look good!