doom 3 wont work in vista!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

humpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 humpas
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts
doom 3 demo (steam) wont work, everytime i launch it windows tells me its stopped working and searches for a soloution, i have latest updates and drivers and i don't have any virus are fragmented hard drive. i have vista 32 bit premium and a 8800gt
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts
Try to launch it without using Steam (there should be an exe in the /steam/steamapps/common/doom3 folder somewhere). If that doesn't do something different, I don't know what to tell you.
humpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 humpas
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts
didn't work and tryed running it in compatability with xp but still didn't work
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I don't think the doom 3 demo works with vista, it's an early unpatched version, the full game should.
error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts
the demo works fine in vista for me.:? hope you get your problem fixed though.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
The non-steam demo runs fine.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Demo and full version run fine on Vista. It must be Steam.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
i know this is a really old topic bump but i searched it on google and this came up and im having the same problem. first i tried the steam one and later to just direct download it off a site i googled and after installing i had the same problem. same vista 32bit and same gpu as TC...no fix?
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I have the Steam version of Doom 3 here, it works perfectly fine in Vista. Can't comment on the demo, never tried it,
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
Well if you're having problems with it on Steam, go to the Steam customer service forums and see if anybody there can help you.
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
Your best bet would be making a shortcut to the .exe and putting it in administrator mode AND compat mode and seeing if that does it. It should work fine as i have doom3 as well.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zomglolcats

Your best bet would be making a shortcut to the .exe and putting it in administrator mode AND compat mode and seeing if that does it. It should work fine as i have doom3 as well.ColdfireTrilogy

Yeah, I've found that most, if not all, of my problems related to a game not launching are simply fixed by running the game in admin mode on Vista.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CellAnimation

[QUOTE="ColdfireTrilogy"]Your best bet would be making a shortcut to the .exe and putting it in administrator mode AND compat mode and seeing if that does it. It should work fine as i have doom3 as well.zomglolcats

Yeah, I've found that most, if not all, of my problems related to a game not launching are simply fixed by running the game in admin mode on Vista.

I have over 100 games installed on here and not 1 of them requires me to run it in admin mode.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

[QUOTE="ColdfireTrilogy"]Your best bet would be making a shortcut to the .exe and putting it in administrator mode AND compat mode and seeing if that does it. It should work fine as i have doom3 as well.CellAnimation

I have over 100 games installed on here and not 1 of them requires me to run it in admin mode.

Well good for you. I have encountered this with a few games. With Warcraft III, couldn't get the battle.net autopatcher to patch the game without running admin mode. That's just one example.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CellAnimation
[QUOTE="CellAnimation"][QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

[QUOTE="ColdfireTrilogy"]Your best bet would be making a shortcut to the .exe and putting it in administrator mode AND compat mode and seeing if that does it. It should work fine as i have doom3 as well.zomglolcats

Well good for you. I have encountered this with a few games. With Warcraft III, couldn't get the battle.net autopatcher to patch the game without running admin mode. That's just one example.

Actually I stand corrected I forgot about Diablo II. I need to run that in admin mode if I want to play on Battle.net. This thread though is about Doom 3 and that works perfectly well in Vista as is.