Does the Sims 4 still suck?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by amyh7292 (324 posts) -

I'm by no means a PC gamer, this is the only thing I play on my laptop. I've played almost all the games/expansions since Sims 1. I currently have all the Sims 3 games and expansions and am pretty content with how diverse my gameplay can be currently. About a year ago, when I was considering getting Sims 4, a slew of pretty bad to mediocre reviews really turned me off. So, to my fellow Sims fans if you're here, is Sims 4 "good" yet? I know it has had a handful of updates and expansions now. Or should I just hold on to my Sims 3 collection and call it a day

#2 Posted by Nick3306 (3429 posts) -

The expansion packs have added some nice content but you still have loading screens upon loading screens. Stick with the sim 3.

#3 Edited by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@Nick3306 said:

The expansion packs have added some nice content but you still have loading screens upon loading screens. Stick with the sim 3.

The loading screens were also on Sims 3, they were just disguised as you travelling to another location.

TC, I can't comment too much on gameplay since I'm not a Sims fan, but I can safely say the Sims4 engine is miles above the Sims3 one.

#4 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5074 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:
@Nick3306 said:

The loading screens were also on Sims 3, they were just disguised as you travelling to another location.

TC, I can't comment too much on gameplay since I'm not a Sims fan, but I can safely say the Sims4 engine is miles above the Sims3 one.

So you're saying loading screens were disguised as an active open world? That's a new one I haven't heard before.

A loading screen is just that, a screen where the only purpose of it is to hide the world loading. The Sims 3 had no loading screens when playing the game.

#5 Edited by bonafidetk (3911 posts) -

Check out lazygamereviews on youtube if you're interested in the content of Sims 4. He's reviewed all the content packs so you can get an idea of if you'll like the game or not. If you dont mind shelling out a ton of cash then I'd say there is quite a bit of content for the game at this point.

For me though it's just too pricy for what it is.

#6 Posted by Nick3306 (3429 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:
@Nick3306 said:

Ya it's a great engine, multitasking is great, but nothing else. Less content and no open world make it miles worse than the sims 3 imo. Not sure what you mean by loading screens, because there definitely weren't any in the sims 3.

#7 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5074 posts) -

@bonafidetk said:

Check out lazygamereviews on youtube if you're interested in the content of Sims 4. He's reviewed all the content packs so you can get an idea of if you'll like the game or not. If you dont mind shelling out a ton of cash then I'd say there is quite a bit of content for the game at this point.

Easily my favorite youtube gamer/reviewer.

#8 Edited by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Nick3306 said:

So you're saying loading screens were disguised as an active open world? That's a new one I haven't heard before.

A loading screen is just that, a screen where the only purpose of it is to hide the world loading. The Sims 3 had no loading screens when playing the game.

Yes they were. Not disguised as the open world, just made to load the next area as you travelled.

When you went to a new area by car you couldn't control the car and as you got there it would load the graphical assets (sometimes you could even see them loading). It was a great idea but executed poorly because the engine was so buggy.

#9 Posted by thehig1 (7284 posts) -

if you have an ssd its pretty good

#10 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (5074 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Nick3306 said:

Yes they were. Not disguised as the open world, just made to load the next area as you travelled.

When you went to a new area by car you couldn't control the car and as you got there it would load the graphical assets (sometimes you could even see them loading). It was a great idea but executed poorly because the engine was so buggy.

It seems you don't understand what a "loading screen" actually is. Yes, it loads when you travel. That's a given. There is not a separate screen to hide the loading, which is what a loading screen is. Also, if you're walking to a destination you can stop and do things. It loads the world as you go along, there are no loading screens.

I agree that the loading was slow and the performance wasn't all that great, but it sucks that instead of trying to optimize it and fix it they went back to loading screens everywhere and no open world and even less items. The Sims 4 is a downgrade in most categories. Yeah the engine runs a bit smoother and the multi-tasking is nice, but everything else, from the open world, customization like create a style, to the items and amount of them The Sims 3 is far superior.

#11 Posted by SaintSatan (1986 posts) -

@amyh7292: What do you mean "still sucks"? It was fine on day 1.

#12 Posted by FelipeInside (28548 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Nick3306 said:

It seems you don't understand what a "loading screen" actually is. Yes, it loads when you travel. That's a given. There is not a separate screen to hide the loading, which is what a loading screen is. Also, if you're walking to a destination you can stop and do things. It loads the world as you go along, there are no loading screens.

I agree that the loading was slow and the performance wasn't all that great, but it sucks that instead of trying to optimize it and fix it they went back to loading screens everywhere and no open world and even less items. The Sims 4 is a downgrade in most categories. Yeah the engine runs a bit smoother and the multi-tasking is nice, but everything else, from the open world, customization like create a style, to the items and amount of them The Sims 3 is far superior.

I know what a loading screen is, I was just saying that Sims3 had loading where you couldn't do anything (hence the car example). Difference is that it showed you travelling to the destination while it loaded, Sims4 just shows you a screen and then loads the next destination.

#13 Posted by amyh7292 (324 posts) -

@saintsatan: Lol no. Not if you've ever played the Sims 3.

#14 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

still a downgrade over TS3, and still giving the same silly expansions in practically the same order.

#15 Edited by Nick3306 (3429 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@FelipeInside said:

I know what a loading screen is, I was just saying that Sims3 had loading where you couldn't do anything (hence the car example). Difference is that it showed you travelling to the destination while it loaded, Sims4 just shows you a screen and then loads the next destination.

Have you actually played the sims 3? You can walk out of your front door to the other end of town stopping wherever you want and controlling your character the whole way (there is no point where the game is loading and you can't do anything). That is an open world. The car example makes no sense because you tell the car where to go before hand, try walking somewhere instead of driving and you'll realize what we are talking about.

#16 Edited by zaku101 (4641 posts) -

The Sims 3 is a MUCH better game, your actually in the world. My friend lives across the street, I can actually walk over to his house and see what he's doing, now doing that in the Sims 4 would be impossible. I would stick with just playing 3...

#17 Posted by Renevent42 (6654 posts) -

My 13 year old daughter loves the game, if that's any help. She also enjoyed Sims 3 and while initially she said the 3rd had more stuff to do, with the a couple DLC's (I got her the work life one and another) she really likes 4 now and wouldn't go back to the previous game.

#18 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

These loading times you talk about... Will it help with putting the game on a SSD instead of a HDD?

#19 Posted by Nick3306 (3429 posts) -

@horgen said:

These loading times you talk about... Will it help with putting the game on a SSD instead of a HDD?

The problem isn't the loading times, it's the fact that there are loading times when sims 3 was a complete open world. They took a step forward with the engine and like 2 steps back with the gameplay and features.

#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (14144 posts) -

It's made by EA. Yes it still sucks.

#21 Posted by HGRex (10 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@bonafidetk said:

Easily my favorite youtube gamer/reviewer.

Oh yes, he's great!

Does The Sims 4 still suck? Hmm, I'm an average gamer, and so far I only own the regular one plus Get to Work and I'm entertained, but I only play it for about 4-5 hours and then I can wait about 2-3 weeks before playing it again.. Not bad.

#22 Posted by Horgen (120484 posts) -

@Nick3306 said:
@horgen said:

The problem isn't the loading times, it's the fact that there are loading times when sims 3 was a complete open world. They took a step forward with the engine and like 2 steps back with the gameplay and features.

Ah ok. I haven't played the third one so much so I don't remember how the situation with loading times are.. Though knowing me, I stick to being in the house 99% of the time. :P

#23 Posted by OrSoHelpMe1 (2 posts) -

The base Sims 4 game can get a little boring. Some of the expansion packs really change the game play though. Here's a good overview of them https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/sims-4-expansion-packs

And if you REALLY want to add a new aspect to playing the Sims, get in to content creation. It can be a little intimidating at first, but once you know what you're doing its really fun. This is a good article on how to do it: https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/sims-4-cc