Does the PC Gaming industry make any money?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 Terrorantula  Online
Member since 2007 • 1646 Posts
I picked up 3 games for only £35 from the local shop all brand new :O Just 1 game for Console costs like £45-50 lol.

Rainbow six Vegas £20
Company of Heroes £10
Dawn of War + expansion £10
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 7115 Posts
Platform licensing fee. PC games don't have this since no one owns the PC platform.
Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts
It must make money or developers wouldn't make games for pc. I am curious though, once this "games for windows" thing is used by everyone, will microsoft get a slice of the cash. Does this mean we can expect a price increase in pc games in the future?
Terrorantula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Terrorantula  Online
Member since 2007 • 1646 Posts
Dunno Company of Heroes and Vegas have games for windows on but very cheap
pwilletts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 pwilletts
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
They make probally just as much money as console game companies. 
Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Frozzik
Maybe alot of it is to minimise the need to pirate. If the games are cheap people may aswell buy the original. Pretty much same as the music industry.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Don't forget those in-game ads.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 madrocketeer
Nope, Microsoft gets no slice from GFW. In fact, I think Microsoft pays devs and pubs for the right to stick that banner on the boxes. And what does Microsoft get in return? Simple. The devs and pubs who signed on for GFW sell the top inch of their boxarts to Microsoft, who turn them into little billboards for their product, namely Windows. It's a whole different story over at the console side of things...
Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Frozzik
[QUOTE="madrocketeer"]Nope, Microsoft gets no slice from GFW. In fact, I think Microsoft pays devs and pubs for the right to stick that banner on the boxes. And what does Microsoft get in return? Simple. The devs and pubs who signed on for GFW sell the top inch of their boxarts to Microsoft, who turn them into little billboards for their product, namely Windows. It's a whole different story over at the console side of things...

Hmm, not sure i understand what you mean. Could you explain in a little more detail, sorry for being so stupid but i really am interested how all this will work and what affect, good or bad it could have on the future of pc gaming.
nailfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nailfoot
Member since 2005 • 2378 Posts

The PC industry makes plenty of money, and a some of it does not come from the actual sell of the product to you (well indirectly it does. If you stopped buying games, then in-game ads would not generate the cash they do now).

MMOs make a killing and couldn't care less if you buy the box. They want that monthly subscription fee (except for GW of course). As long as it is profitable by some means, then PC games will continue to be pumped out.

entralinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 entralinks
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I actually heard PC games are cheaper because PC is considered a life necessity in a way and consoles as pure entertainment and thus higher taxes for the console manufacturers. Sony has been trying to get it's PS brand be classified as a need of every home like a PC, but it's not succeeding. Heard it, not sure.
nailfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nailfoot

[QUOTE="madrocketeer"]Nope, Microsoft gets no slice from GFW. In fact, I think Microsoft pays devs and pubs for the right to stick that banner on the boxes. And what does Microsoft get in return? Simple. The devs and pubs who signed on for GFW sell the top inch of their boxarts to Microsoft, who turn them into little billboards for their product, namely Windows. It's a whole different story over at the console side of things...Frozzik
Hmm, not sure i understand what you mean. Could you explain in a little more detail, sorry for being so stupid but i really am interested how all this will work and what affect, good or bad it could have on the future of pc gaming.

The "Games for Windows" slogan on the top of the game box is an ad for Windows. It is an ad kinda like all the Marlboro book bags and hats of a few years ago that you will still see sometimes.

nailfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nailfoot

I actually heard PC games are cheaper because PC is considered a life necessity in a way and consoles as pure entertainment and thus higher taxes for the console manufacturers. Sony has been trying to get it's PS brand be classified as a need of every home like a PC, but it's not succeeding. Heard it, not sure.entralinks

Haha. A console will not be classified as a "Home Appliance" which is what you are driving at. If it was, it'd be a PC. Years in the future, PCs will certainly take the appearance of a console, but they will still do all the things a PC does that a console does not do.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 madrocketeer
[QUOTE="Frozzik"] Hmm, not sure i understand what you mean. Could you explain in a little more detail, sorry for being so stupid but i really am interested how all this will work and what affect, good or bad it could have on the future of pc gaming.

Nailfoot pretty much nails it. It's an ad. An inch-tall billboard flashing at you from the top of every PC game box telling you to buy a Windows PC so you can play this game.
cyw1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 cyw1988
Member since 2005 • 428 Posts

PC games on the whole are actually cheaper than console games(depending on where you come from). I am from Singapore and a console game on average cost nearly twice that of a PC game. However, I've been to some parts of the world where PC games cost just about as much as a console game.

In this time and age where MMO is the "in" thing its safe to say MMO PC games do earn more than console games. Although the game itself is cheap, probably 3 monthly payments to play it will probably make it cost more than a console game. So in the end which is more worth it? Only time will tell... =/

grouser22001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 grouser22001
Member since 2003 • 151 Posts
i hope pc gaming dies next year.
mobomasterguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mobomasterguru
Member since 2003 • 420 Posts

i hope pc gaming dies next year.grouser22001

Be prepared to be disappointed then

09n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 09n
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts
The PC gaming industry made 3.7 billion dollars last year. However this is dwarfed by the 10 billion or so consoles made. So yeah it makes money, but not as much as consoles.
sj420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 sj420
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts

The PC gaming industry made 3.7 billion dollars last year. However this is dwarfed by the 10 billion or so consoles made. So yeah it makes money, but not as much as consoles.09n

why would you group all the consoles together and compare that figure to pcs?  kind of skewed, don't you think

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts
Crysis will probably release for $49.99 US.  Now, if it was made for Xbox 360 or PS3, it would release at a $59.99 price point.  Hence, I love PC gaming.  As expensive as it is on the hardware side, there are other cost benefits, like mostly free internet play (outside of MMOs), games cost less than most console games in initial release, and the games tend to be better.  PC gaming of course has it's share of crap like the consoles and the consoles have gems too, but PC gaming has in most likelihood the best overall library of USDA Grade A Prime Rib choice titles.  Not to mention you can decently game on a laptop and take your PC gaming with you!!!!:D
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5669 Posts

[QUOTE="09n"]The PC gaming industry made 3.7 billion dollars last year. However this is dwarfed by the 10 billion or so consoles made. So yeah it makes money, but not as much as consoles.sj420

why would you group all the consoles together and compare that figure to pcs? kind of skewed, don't you think

I agree, I can never understand why people lump all of the consoles together and then compare it to one platform, the PC. One thing you also have to keep in my mind, is that the 10 billion includes the sales of the consoles and their hardware perifs as well, not just games. 

On another note, there are so many PC Games out and coming out, if PC devs weren't making money on the platform, they would have dumped it a long time ago. People all to often confuse multiplatform development with the PC's failure, but this is certainly not the case. Companies are just maximizing their profit, and the ease of dev'ing games for both the PC and 360 for instance is fairly easy by today's standards. For all intensive purposes, the PC industry is on the cusp of another boom like in 99 or in 04, once hardware calms down and dev's get to work with DX10/mulicore chips/beefer PC's in the average person's home, the gap between console and PC will grow wider than ever before. 

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts

i hope u die next year. 

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Frozzik
The PC gaming industry made 3.7 billion dollars last year. However this is dwarfed by the 10 billion or so consoles made. So yeah it makes money, but not as much as consoles.09n
so, there are what, 4 or 5 consoles still selling games and combined they total only 10b. This for me shows just how strong the pc market is. I'm pretty sure those figures don't include mmo fees nor downloaded games from places like direct2drive either. WoW alone must be making over 60m a month.
sj420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 sj420
Member since 2003 • 626 Posts

[QUOTE="09n"]The PC gaming industry made 3.7 billion dollars last year. However this is dwarfed by the 10 billion or so consoles made. So yeah it makes money, but not as much as consoles.Frozzik
so, there are what, 4 or 5 consoles still selling games and combined they total only 10b. This for me shows just how strong the pc market is. I'm pretty sure those figures don't include mmo fees nor downloaded games from places like direct2drive either. WoW alone must be making over 60m a month.

wow is an industry beast all by itself.  according to blizzard, they have 8+ mil users, and since the price plans range from $13 - 15...

they make anywhere from $104M - 120M per month just on subscription fees, or about $1.5B (that's a b folks) per year.  of course that's not pure profit, but i guarantee a relatively small portion of that is cycled back into salaries, maintenance, ads, etc. 

christ, why didn't i come up w/ this idea...  damn fatcats lol

grouser22001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 grouser22001
Member since 2003 • 151 Posts
yeah and i bet u kids have 5000 dollars to spend on that brand new crysis and ut3 game to play on your computer.........
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
If the PC Gaming industry dosn't make any money I don't think games like Crysis or Supreme Commander would have been made.....instead they might have been made for consoles
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#27 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
EA games had a section in their 2006 annual report titled "PC resurgence" and noted the large boom in digital downloads. In 2006 PC retail game sales increased. I used to have a link but can't seem to find it now but it stated only about 300-400 thousand units of a video game need to be sold to gain a profit for most games of today, Of course it varies a lot depending on budget though.
alanjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 alanjon
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
dude give up on that idea pc are hear to stay and i am so kind i dont even diss concoles
handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

dude give up on that idea pc are hear to stay and i am so kind i dont even diss concolesalanjon

Dude....PC's ARE HERE TO STAY. We cant make Consoles connect with Printers and servers. have writing programs and web sites without making it in to a computer. And there CPU's cant handle all that information. We cant make games without computers. and if you are such a n00b that you think console games are made on a console. then you are way to dumb to realize that EVERY game is made on a computer at first.

pops19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pops19
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
it does. but not as much as consoles. copying or buying and then playing a game on a console is a lot harder and far more expensive than doing so for pc games. however, a general opinion is that the pc games' constant need for evergrowing cpu n' graphics power leads gamers to spend more on graphics cards and less on the games themselves!
Rigges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 Rigges
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts

The PC is here to stay because it goes beyond gaming and everyone will always need a PC for work and home.  The price of consoles is going up and they keep adding components including keyboard, multiple connections, internet access etc, which ups the price and actually makes them resemble a PC more and more.

To make console games a PC is used to do all the programming.  Engines like Unreal Technology 3 where programmed on a C++ foundation (C++ uses windows graphics libraries, hence PC) and games developed on it can be translated to run on the XBOX 360 and the PS3 (as you know Gears of War runs on UT3) and at the same time, since it was initially programmed on the PC of course you can make the games run on the PC too.  So with the amount of money they make off engines and license and they very fact that the console wouldn't exists without the existence of a PC, the PC game industry might get smaller but it won't die.

One last note, if the price of consoles keep going up, eventually they will rival the PC in terms of price in which case they won't have a purpose (as a cheap alternative to buying a PC) and will die, but that won't happen.  I'm thinking eventually you'll get some kind of PC / Console highbred which fits under the name "Entertainment System" which does everything (hooks up to your HD TV, runs games, movies, internet, word processing, office documents, etc, etc).

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#32 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

Maybe alot of it is to minimise the need to pirate. If the games are cheap people may aswell buy the original. Pretty much same as the music industry.Frozzik

Exactly.  

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 spiltmilk
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

Platform licensing fee. PC games don't have this since no one owns the PC platform.madrocketeer

The award for most ignorant post is awarded to you. Billion dollars in sales, an anazing lineup of A titles in 2007 (More then consoleS). WHY ARE CONSOLE FANBOYS SO IGNORANT?Obviously they make money, or they wouldn't make games for it. Crysis has a20 million dollar budget, you think they would spend that much if they never made money?

PC sales increased last year despite it being a poor year for games (2007 will be the PC's best in a long time),, if you include digital downloads, sales are growing quite well. Ignorance FTW.  

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 spiltmilk

yeah and i bet u kids have 5000 dollars to spend on that brand new crysis and ut3 game to play on your computer.........grouser22001

More ignorance, and blatant lack of knowledge of PC hardware.

You can build a powerful PC for a little over $1000 that is more power then a 360 or PS3, and it does a lot more then play games.

TranquilSlogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 TranquilSlogan
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
whoever asked this question has never seen the figures from FF X-I. Over 100million players paying monthly fees divided by the server costs and very limited programming staff that update between 9am-5pm = $$$. If i had the money to start an MMORPG I would do it in a heartbeat. Especially when you have a fan base as big as Final Fantasy does. Final summary:  PC games make more money than console games when you compare release to profit margin. Don't doubt the PC.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#36 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2071 Posts

[QUOTE="grouser22001"]yeah and i bet u kids have 5000 dollars to spend on that brand new crysis and ut3 game to play on your computer.........spiltmilk

You can build a powerful PC for a little over $1000 that is more power then a 360 or PS3, and it does a lot more then play games.

May I add that most gamers are in thier mid to upper 20s.. which means they more than likely have JOBS... and CAN afford such hardware.. PC Gaming is a hobby.. and as such can be as cheap or as expensive as you wish it to be.. It is also less expensive than say.. oh cars... or gas powered model planes/cars. Or even railroad building models.. etc..

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 spiltmilk
[QUOTE="spiltmilk"]

[QUOTE="grouser22001"]yeah and i bet u kids have 5000 dollars to spend on that brand new crysis and ut3 game to play on your computer.........Alkpaz

Exactly, I upgrade not just for gaming, I like doing it, and so do Millions, that's how ATI, Nvidia make so much money. Like it or not, the average age of todays gamer is 30, I have a good job, and can easily afford to upgrade when I want to. I ahve the money, and enjoy PCway more then any console, and I have a 360, had a PS2, Gamecube, etc.. They just don't match up.

May I add that most gamers are in thier mid to upper 20s.. which means they more than likely have JOBS... and CAN afford such hardware.. PC Gaming is a hobby.. and as such can be as cheap or as expensive as you wish it to be.. It is also less expensive than say.. oh cars... or gas powered model planes/cars. Or even railroad building models.. etc..

Mezzanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Mezzanne
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

Of course...oh, and games for windows is just a way that microsoft is trying to standardise PC games in terms of more technical aspects, it's not a bad idea I think.

PC Gaming has it's flaws... but it also has it's strengths, and just how consoles have certain advantages PCs will never have, I believe PCs have certain other advantages consoles will never be able to achive.

handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

well...what advantage does the console have that the computer hassnt?

the gamepad? Nope. the gamepad was designed for the pc at first. and there is X-box gamepads for PC and the same with PS gamepads.

lets see.....Is it the Saving capabilety? nope. PC's have something called a Harddrive!

is it the CD/DvD/blue ray rom? nope. was designed for the pc at first.

well then. is it HD then? Nope. computers has that to.  

Games? maybe the consoles has some games that the Computer hassnt but thats the only advantage it has.

and if you start to wiine about the prices....then i can just tell you that you get more bang for the bucks if you spend it on a pc then a console becous of the limitations you have on it.

and befor you start to flamm. I have every Playstation and X-box but i can say i prefere the PC

mdcw9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mdcw9
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts

a PC is a platform designed for anything and everything... Its not just for gaming... thats what splits it from consoles. People like microsoft are trying to add more features to consoles... like the internet and music etc... but will fail miserably because thats what PC's are for, not even microsoft could replace that. Adding features like that including keyboards and mice will basically make it your average Personal Computer. But why would you want to spend an extra 100 pound on a console when a PC can do better?

a built PC specifically for gaming is the most powerful gaming platform and always will be. Consoles take approximatly 4-6 years to make, which means that upon their release, their already outdated by 1 year old PC components.

If you havnt already noticed, Xbox 360 games are 50 pounds +. And PC games are about 20 pounds on release (prices from Play.com). This alone shows you how well the pc game Dev's are doing. Console games have to be sold at high prices to make profit, but when u include people like microsoft, its just to rip you off. PC games are sold alot cheaper because:

1. There is a much greater number of people which buy PC games

2. It is much easier to produce a PC game as old game engines can be improved upon. In most cases... xbox games start with new game engines which means 6-10 years in production.

Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts
PC gaming brings in over $1 billion a year.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

Oh yeah? I hope your goldfish dies...TODAY!

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Pc games are indeed getting insanely cheap. I don't know why anyone would even bother pirating.

I got a STALKER collectors edition and Company of Heroes for 40 Euro's. That's practically free! :P 

Krall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Krall
Member since 2002 • 16463 Posts

yeah and i bet u kids have 5000 dollars to spend on that brand new crysis and ut3 game to play on your computer.........grouser22001

That's a gross over-esitmate if I ever heard one. We all know a brand new PC for around $1k can play those 2 games and more. My own personal PC let's me play those 2 games, plus keep track of all my business expenses with QB, trade stocks with an internet broker, do all of my banking and bill paying online, talk to people all over the place in these and other forums and hell I can even get a date tonight from my PC :P 

You can also upgrade PCs, with a console you toss it and all your componets and games you bought in the past and start all over again. That's not the case with a PC. I still have and play games that I bought 15 years ago. 

spiltmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 spiltmilk

PC gaming brings in over $1 billion a year.Hexum-311

Way more then that if you count digital downlaods like Steam, IGN Downloaded, Direct 2 Drive,(Which are increasingly popular)  and subscription  fees.

gamecubeown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamecubeown
Member since 2007 • 327 Posts
yes pc industry makes tons of money
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5669 Posts

[QUOTE="grouser22001"]yeah and i bet u kids have 5000 dollars to spend on that brand new crysis and ut3 game to play on your computer.........Krall

That's a gross over-esitmate if I ever heard one. We all know a brand new PC for around $1k can play those 2 games and more. My own personal PC let's me play those 2 games, plus keep track of all my business expenses with QB, trade stocks with an internet broker, do all of my banking and bill paying online, talk to people all over the place in these and other forums and hell I can even get a date tonight from my PC :P

You can also upgrade PCs, with a console you toss it and all your componets and games you bought in the past and start all over again. That's not the case with a PC. I still have and play games that I bought 15 years ago.

As usual, right on Krall...I don't know about getting a date  though :) 

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I picked up 3 games for only £35 from the local shop all brand new :O Just 1 game for Console costs like £45-50 lol.

Rainbow six Vegas £20
Company of Heroes £10
Dawn of War + expansion £10Terrorantula

Yes they make money.  ALL PC games cost $50 or less because there is no licensing like on consoles, plus take a look at PS3: The reason PS3 games are so expensive is because the Blu-Ray disc is expensive to make and it is one of a kind...but thats just the PS3, i cant explain the Wii or 360.  And also, PC games drop in price rather quickly, so if you wait a month or two the game may be $40-30 instead of 50 

mdcw9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mdcw9
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts
new PC games can be 19.99 pound... i think thats $32-36. New games with new engines are usually £24.99-29.99 = $40-50
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 madrocketeer
[QUOTE="spiltmilk"] The award for most ignorant post is awarded to you. Billion dollars in sales, an anazing lineup of A titles in 2007 (More then consoleS). WHY ARE CONSOLE FANBOYS SO IGNORANT?Obviously they make money, or they wouldn't make games for it. Crysis has a20 million dollar budget, you think they would spend that much if they never made money? PC sales increased last year despite it being a poor year for games (2007 will be the PC's best in a long time),, if you include digital downloads, sales are growing quite well. Ignorance FTW.

*Sigh* Check my profile. I'm even more of a PC gamer than the average PC gamer. I haven't bought a console since the Sega Megadrive. I simply offered one reason why PC games are cheaper - every console game publisher has to pay a licensing fee to the platform owner, which is then transferred on to customers that buy their games. In no way was my post an argument against the vitality of the PC gaming market.