Does the brand of HDMI cable matter that much?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoldenBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoldenBuffalo
Member since 2006 • 118 Posts

Hello all, I know this may be a "no-brainer," but I was curious if the quality of the HDMI cable really makes that much difference. Obviously monster cables are very expensive, but are they worth it? Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, thanks!

Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts

There is a quality difference, but it's so small you'll never notice it.

Monster Cables are severely overpriced. Buy your cables from MonoPrice.com.

GoldenBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GoldenBuffalo
Thanks for the info!
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Agree. Some will say buy this $200 cable. But as long as the $15 cable works right you should get pretty much the same signal quality. Materials and manufacturing methods probably differ, but if you are worried about durability make sure to get the thicker cable. Look for the lower AWG# (wire gauge). I bought mine for $15 on MonoPrice.com and havent had a problem, it looks great.
Profex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Profex13
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
HDMI cables are mostly used for it's digital signal, so as long as you get a signal, the picture quality of a $4 cable is the same as the $60 cable. You have to loose a lot of the signal strength before you get digital static, which shows up as small squares with old/random looking picture. As mentioned above, monoprice.com is the best place I'm found for cables.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Just don't get suckered into buying a no name brand cable off of ebay. It'll quit working very soon, as the wires are so thin...
GoldenBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GoldenBuffalo
Well, it appears that everyone here has a mixed opinion... I may just get the same Phillips brand that I use for my HD DVD player. However, I appreciate the advice.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Where are the mixed opinions? For the price and especially for HDMI cables, Monoprice is all you need.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Where are the mixed opinions? For the price and especially for HDMI cables, Monoprice is all you need.Makari
Exactly. Its always safe to just by the cheap cable off monoprice. Most likely it will be good as any brand and will only cost your $15 to $20. If you dont like it return it(monoprice has a good return policy) and buy one of the more expensive (rip off, cough cough) HDMI cables from best buy.
saintR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 saintR
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I go to the closest parts store and buy the cheapest HDMI cables. Usually 19.99, but it's retail and I have to have it right away. Waiting for shipment can sometimes be tedious.
GoldenBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GoldenBuffalo
Well, it just appeared to me that some people prefer the very inexpensive brands and others prefered the ones that are a bit more heavy duty and thus more expensive. To tell you the truth I am a bit still undecided, but I guess its only a cable, not the actual component I'm using it for so its a more minor decision.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Well, it just appeared to me that some people prefer the very inexpensive brands and others prefered the ones that are a bit more heavy duty and thus more expensive. To tell you the truth I am a bit still undecided, but I guess its only a cable, not the actual component I'm using it for so its a more minor decision.GoldenBuffalo
Monoprice's stuff is heavy duty. They're just warning you against buying thin cheap cables. :)
GoldenBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GoldenBuffalo
Ah! I guess I did not make the connection between monoprice and heavy duty. That clears things up a bit. Thanks for that clarification.
GoldenBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GoldenBuffalo
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I found a new monster Hdmi cable on my local Denver craigslist for $25 and jumped on it. Picture looks great, I will though keep monoprice in my favorites for future purchases. Thanks again.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
There is no difference between brands. For it is a Digital Signal, there is no margin for error. Either the cables work 100% or they don't work at all. It's digital for gods sake.
HowardB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HowardB
Member since 2002 • 1689 Posts

There is no difference between brands. For it is a Digital Signal, there is no margin for error. Either the cables work 100% or they don't work at all. It's digital for gods sake.-CheeseEater-

I recommend reading at least an overview of how digital signals work. The idea that a digital signal either works or it doesn't is completely, totally, utterly false.

I'm not suggesting anyone purchase the most expensive cable they can afford. I'm simply pointing out the fact that both digital cables and signals possess a margin of error, and a cheap (quality) cable may enter that margin sooner than it should.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
There is no difference between brands.-CheeseEater-
I bought some cheap ones off of ebay for about $5, and they quit working after a couple of days. The wires in them were WAY too thin and few in number. So brand does in fact matter. Get a known name brand... any known brand...
bizkit_limp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bizkit_limp
Member since 2005 • 303 Posts
Is this cable any good u guys, i also need help at this topic http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130508 or is this one better but its expensive http://www.ebuyer.com/product/79241 i need ur guys input