Does Shadowplay make fraps moot?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

If you are on an nvidia card (it works on mine), is there any reason for using fraps to records games instead of shadowplay?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

doesn't work on every nvidia card....

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Shadowplay is a lot buggier. Fraps works with windowed apps and take screenshots, shadowplay can't. Leaving shadowplay in desktop mode all the time can cause some games to do weird things. In quake live I noticed I was getting a lot of input but I didn't know it where it was from. Then I found out it was shadowplay, but most games are not affected negatively. It's probably because it's opengl.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uninspiredcup
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Shadowplay is a lot buggier. Fraps works with windowed apps and take screenshots, shadowplay can't. Leaving shadowplay in desktop mode all the time can cause some games to do weird things. In quake live I noticed I was getting a lot of input but I didn't know it where it was from. Then I found out it was shadowplay, but most games are not affected negatively. It's probably because it's opengl.

I see. Thank you for the help. It seems to be working fine at the moment without the loss of performance, which fraps in comparison utterly kils.

@lawlessx said:

This post was pretty useless.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I would like to try it out but sadly I'm stuck on the 570 currently.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I have never enabled or used Shadowplay and im not really sure how it works. Out of curiosity I had a fiddle around with the settings just now, does it use video memory to store what you just did or what?

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I've never used shadowplay, no clue how it works.

I use fraps, its simple and works and never screws up games... the only time I have to disable fraps is occasionally if i'm using a graphics injector like Sweetfx, i have to disable it or the game will either crash or just not load the injector properly.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup

@pelvist said:

I have never enabled or used Shadowplay and im not really sure how it works. Out of curiosity I had a fiddle around with the settings just now, does it use video memory to store what you just did or what?

It seems to work awsome. Fraps cuts my framerate in half. When I turn this thing on, I notice practically no framerate diffrence. It's recording at 1080p and 60fps. Aside from being able to manually turn it on and off, it can automatically records the last 20 minutes.

Honestly, if this was third party software, they would probably be charging $30-$50. The fact it's completely free makes me love nvidia that little bit more.

Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts

I use Shadowplay every day and I've never had an issue in any game. It essentially has no impact on framerate whatsoever. It's near perfect

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@lawlessx said:

This post was pretty useless.

That post was not useless at all, in fact, it's the main reason that shadowplay does not make fraps moot.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup
@Endgame_basic said:

I use Shadowplay every day and I've never had an issue in any game. It essentially has no impact on framerate whatsoever. It's near perfect

Yes another reason to stick with nvidia.

jkarrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jkarrde
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I made a video comparing FRAPS and Shadowplay with a GTX 770 card. Shadowplay is part of the reason I decided to upgrade from my SLI 560Ti cards, and it was well worth it.

http://youtu.be/wbxoD9RCk14

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

If you are on an nvidia card (it works on mine), is there any reason for using fraps to records games instead of shadowplay?

Shadowplay is awesome, literally awesome. Works great, no real performance to framerate, and gives you the option of Shadow Record.

BUT.... I still wonder why they haven't included a screenshot function in it, hence why I still need to have Fraps installed. Once Shadowplay introduces screenshot ability, goodbye fraps.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

The only problem i'v had so far is that shitty windows movie maker doesn't accept mp4.

Aside from that, it shits all over fraps. Makes it and other programs totally obsolete.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

The only problem i'v had so far is that shitty windows movie maker doesn't accept mp4.

Aside from that, it shits all over fraps. Makes it and other programs totally obsolete.

???

I record Battlefield 4 moments and then import those videos straight into Movie Maker.

Have you got the latest version?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@FelipeInside: Why not make screenshots from video frames? At max quality Shadowplay videos look perfect as far as I can tell.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

If Shadowplay actually worked as well as Fraps, maybe. Until then I still much prefer Fraps.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Shadowplay is awesome, literally awesome. Works great, no real performance to framerate, and gives you the option of Shadow Record.

BUT.... I still wonder why they haven't included a screenshot function in it, hence why I still need to have Fraps installed. Once Shadowplay introduces screenshot ability, goodbye fraps.

Yeah exactly. It's awesome, but in order for Fraps to go they need a screenshot function.

@airshocker said:

If Shadowplay actually worked as well as Fraps, maybe. Until then I still much prefer Fraps.

What do you mean?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FelipeInside

@PfizersaurusRex said:

@FelipeInside: Why not make screenshots from video frames? At max quality Shadowplay videos look perfect as far as I can tell.

I guess I could, but I have Fraps with a hotkey just saving the screenshot in a specific folder, and I can take as many as I want. With the recording, it would be an extra few layers of work.

@airshocker said:

??? It works better than Fraps.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

Not for me it doesn't. Videos I record come out corrupted. It generates weird performance issues on my machine. Fraps doesn't do any of that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 uninspiredcup

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

Not for me it doesn't. Videos I record come out corrupted. It generates weird performance issues on my machine. Fraps doesn't do any of that.

It barely removes even about 2fps on my comp and works perfectly. By comparison, fraps pretty much chops my framerate in half. Very strange.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

@airshocker said:

@FelipeInside said:

That's a shame, hopefully you can figure out why it's doing it on your PC. Have u tried obvious things like recording to another HDD etc?

To be honest, I was never into the whole 'recording gameplay' thing cause of the performance hit that recording programs did to the game, but with Shadowplay it's like there isn't anything there.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Recording gameplay videos is one function where my FX-8350 shines. So, I don't mind the classic way of recording PC videos and capturing screenshots.

WildKarrde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WildKarrde
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

I made a video comparing FRAPS to Shadowplay, and they both have strong points over the other, but I far prefer Shadowplay, if for no other reason much better FPS and much smaller file size.

http://youtu.be/wbxoD9RCk14

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

It's 2014, who on their right mind is still using FRAPS?

Seriously, someone explain me why? With so much better alternatives available, both free and paid, fraps lacks a shit ton of features, and yet I see a lot of peeps still use it.

MSI AB is free and does lossless recording as well, tons of codecs available.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

would like to try it sadly i have an 560ti and overclocking doesnt help with software issues

James_Mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 James_Mason
Member since 2003 • 30 Posts

Yes it does... When I try Fraps on my ultra settings Dying Light, I drop from 60 fps average to 30 fps and produce crappy quality videos.

When I run Shadow Play on Dying Light, I do not notice any difference and performance, and I produce 60 FPS full resolution videos... And with a couple of tweaks, I can stream that stuff directly to twitch.

Honestly, Shadow Play seems to work even better than the PS4's share play stuff...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@James_Mason: Please remember to check the last reply date on a thread before posting in it. This thread is over 6 months old. Locking.

-Byshop