does MAXING a game mean AA 16x, AF 16x,????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lehman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lehman
Member since 2005 • 2512 Posts
when ppl say they max a game, does it mean 16x AA and AF or just the settings (texture, water wuality) that kinda stuff??

or is it 4x AA and 16x AF??

i dont get this,
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Just the settings, AA and AF are up to and a bonus. 4xAA is a must in my games.
Avatar image for paraskhos_basic
paraskhos_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 paraskhos_basic
Member since 2002 • 1243 Posts

when ppl say they max a game, does it mean 16x AA and AF or just the settings (texture, water wuality) that kinda stuff??

i dont get this,
Lehman

wat i dont get is that does vsync and all this AA and AF really make any diff in a game

if so wat is that can u point to me

Lehman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lehman
ok
AA - is when the jagged lines in the edge of the building (or whatever is in the game) is smoothed out, the more AA the smoother the edges are

AF - is when the GPU smooth outs the places where Low textures meet High setting textures, for example the ground under grass in games in low texture and if that meet something thats actually high texture settings it smooths it out so it does look so obvious

V-Sync - is when the FPS is limited to your screens refresh rate, so if your scrren is 60 Hz, then the FPS is limited to 60 FPS, i think in GTA its just called frame limiter or something

and basically AA takes ALOT of performance, but AF doesnt take as much, all mu games are 16x AF and all are 4x AA or greater (except for Crysis, i have edge AA on that)

i was wondering though will lowering AF make the performance increase noticably??, i dont care if its only like 1-3 FPS

hope you understand now :)
Avatar image for paraskhos_basic
paraskhos_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 paraskhos_basic
Member since 2002 • 1243 Posts

ok
AA - is when the jagged lines in the edge of the building (or whatever is in the game) is smoothed out, the more AA the smoother the edges are

AF - is when the GPU smooth outs the places where Low textures meet High setting textures, for example the ground under grass in games in low texture and if that meet something thats actually high texture settings it smooths it out so it does look so obvious

V-Sync - is when the FPS is limited to your screens refresh rate, so if your scrren is 60 Hz, then the FPS is limited to 60 FPS, i think in GTA its just called frame limiter or something

and basically AA takes ALOT of performance, but AF doesnt take as much, all mu games are 16x AF and all are 4x AA or greater (except for Crysis, i have edge AA on that)

i was wondering though will lowering AF make the performance increase noticably??, i dont care if its only like 1-3 FPS

hope you understand now :)Lehman

yah dude that helped me alot

thnks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts
A general rule of thumb is to turn V-Sync off since all it really does is try to reduce "tearing" in the screen and limits FPS and thus limits performance. However if the "tearing" is pretty bad and you find difficulty/dislike to it then by all means keep V-Sync turned on but possibly increase the refresh rate of your monitor.
Broken_Tulip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Broken_Tulip
Member since 2008 • 327 Posts

i dont get this,
Lehman
That's an opinion i guess but i dont consider a game maxed out without 4xAA and 16xAF.I dont get why anybody with a half decent card will play without AF when it brings a minor performance decrease and such a big improvement in picture quality.

AA on the other hand depending on your resolution can even cut your fps in half so that's understandable if some people dont use it that much.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

i dont get this,
Lehman

Actually, some people in Gamespot-forums say they max game when they run 1280x1024 no AA and AF and some of the settings on low.. (most when it´s about 8600gt and crysis)

If someone say -"I max out crysis", it´s max on ALL settings, if not then it's NOT max. (Ok, V-sync could be set off.)

And most people never max out games, they play at their native resolution, it´s a wase to play more than the monitor can handle.

Max should be a banned word, if people say I max out.. Then I'll know it's probably on medium some at high and some at low without AA...

so...

I don't get this either.. ban the word max!

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 swehunt

i dont get this,
Lehman

Actually, some people in Gamespot-forums say they max game when they run 1280x1024 no AA and AF and some of the settings on low.. (most when it´s about 8600gt and crysis)

If someone say -"I max out crysis", it´s max on ALL settings, if not then it's NOT max. (Ok, V-sync could be set off.)

And most people never max out games, they play at their native resolution, it´s a wase to play more than the monitor can handle.

Max should be a banned word, if people say I max out.. Then I'll know it's probably on medium some at high and some at low without AA...

so...

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts
I consider Maxed out to be 4aa+16AF+all settings ultra high at 1600x1200
pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 pcgamer_07
Member since 2007 • 1164 Posts

[QUOTE="Lehman"]when ppl say they max a game, does it mean 16x AA and AF or just the settings (texture, water wuality) that kinda stuff??

i dont get this,
swehunt

so...

I consider 'maxed' when all in-game settings are turned to the highest. AA and AF are seperate for me.

And for the record I can play Crysis with medium settings at 1280x1024 res, and I haven't come across anyone saying that they can max it out with a 8600GT.

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 superkoolstud
[QUOTE="swehunt"]

[QUOTE="Lehman"]when ppl say they max a game, does it mean 16x AA and AF or just the settings (texture, water wuality) that kinda stuff??

i dont get this,
pcgamer_07

so...

I consider 'maxed' when all in-game settings are turned to the highest. AA and AF are seperate for me.

And for the record I can play Crysis with medium settings at 1280x1024 res, and I haven't come across anyone saying that they can max it out with a 8600GT.

You can't max it with a 8600gt, You can run it decent with that card though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

I have yet to hear anyone being able to max Crysis out and by max i mean have everything turned up to the highest that it goes.

Maxing out something to me means playing a game with the settings turned up to the highest they can go. This includes resolution, AA, AF, texture qualitys, particle effects, sound quality etc etc.

pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pcgamer_07
[QUOTE="pcgamer_07"][QUOTE="swehunt"]

i dont get this,
superkoolstud

so...

er what did I just say, read my post again please, - I said you can't max it out with a 8600GT

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 superkoolstud
[QUOTE="superkoolstud"][QUOTE="pcgamer_07"][QUOTE="swehunt"]

i dont get this,
pcgamer_07

so...

er what did I just say, read my post again please, - I said you can't max it out with a 8600GT

I was just seconding you.

pcgamer_07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pcgamer_07
[QUOTE="pcgamer_07"][QUOTE="superkoolstud"][QUOTE="pcgamer_07"][QUOTE="swehunt"]

i dont get this,
superkoolstud

so...

I was just seconding you.

oh kk my bad, misread you:D

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

i dont get this,
swehunt

so...

I agree anyone who says "i can max ____" is probably full of it. AA and AF are separate because i believe they do go higher than 4x and 16x no?
Broken_Tulip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Broken_Tulip
[QUOTE="swehunt"]

i dont get this,
X360PS3AMD05

so...

I agree anyone who says "i can max ____" is probably full of it. AA and AF are separate because i believe they do go higher than 4x and 16x no?

AF goes till 16xAF and on 8800's AA goes till 16xQAA.And there is this notorious setting supersampling transperancy AA.No single card can dare play the latest games with supersampling,heck even older games can give trouble.

Dont know how ATI cards fair with supersampling but nvidia cards are pretty pathetic with it.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 swehunt
[QUOTE="swehunt"]

i dont get this,
pcgamer_07

so...

Im not sure i could get proof for the 8600 vs crysis (well it´s about 1200 threads to search) but when I consider "maxed" I consider ALL settings maxed, and that with playable framerates, I´ve read things in this forum people say somthing like this..-

-"I max out crysis on a 8600gt... btw shaders on low.."

Well then it´s not maxed then.

What i was trying with my post is.

When speaking of max. AA and AF is enabled, all settings is on max resolution is at hihgest possible, water and shadows are at max and so on...

Many should insted of say I max out...

Say: Most setting are on high/max without AA and AF enabled shaders are on low, resolution 1280*1024 that give me an average of ___fps.

This may sound stupid but people tend to say "MAX/MAXED" when they give others their advice about buying new hardware.

No-one will know how good max is if no-one use the same MAX, if we are to compare diffrent hardware both hardware-parts need to do the same setting for having a decent way of knowing the result. (comparing hardware is "all-day-long" in this forum)

but, I know it's not going to be so, people will just continue to say MAX/MAXED out when thay mean mixed settings, and they will give others advice that xxxx card will get crysis maxed out.

But as far I've got this of my chest and mabey no-one get my point but I think this is sorta the way it works here.

hay, no harsh to anyone, I just want to ban max/Maxed ;)

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts
IMO- Max means maxing ingame settings, all the tabs as high as they will go.
But then I usually go on and describe my driver settings, since I almost always use HQ 16x AF and HQ 6x AA.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
I know this is semi-off topic, but it might prove useful: Tweakguides Graphics Settings guide.
Hiryuu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hiryuu_
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts
I personally state maxed out settings as maxed in game settings, rather than maxed out AA/AF.
Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts

Well lets see here I'm not going to compare my 860gt xxx to crysi or what ever but I can say that I max out C&C 3 with my card but I don't bother with ultra high I don't see why in doing so other then I can come back and say yea technacaly I'm at MAX settings but other then that.

Also with this card I'm running sc with 2 on high settins the rest low or off and aa on 4 and slowly adding more to it also I have increasd the rez wich ever is higher then 1024x768 and I'm slowly going up on it. When the game begins to freeze then I'll know my max far as the card goes.

I do plan on buying a ati 3870hd 512mb soon so that hopfully I'll be able to max out sc cause that is the only game that I can't max out at the moment.

The word max/maxed shouldn't be ban cause ever body has there onw opion about what they think it means and I do believe my self that max when said should be everything maxed out in the game.

Lehman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lehman

is was wondering IF maxing a game was AA and AF on full and ONLY Nvidia cards have 16xQ AA and AF does that mean ATI user can never max a game??
yeah they can have 16x but not 16xQ

and also i read somewhere that 4x AA and 16x AA doesnt have much of a difference, is this true

cause i have all my games 4-16x AA and 16x AF, (except crysis, i have edgeAA on that)

felixworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 felixworks
Member since 2005 • 337 Posts
Well....to me maxed means MAXED. I mean everything that could possibly make it look better is on. The highest resolution possible, and of course AA and AF as high as it goes.
Broken_Tulip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Broken_Tulip

IMO- Max means maxing ingame settings, all the tabs as high as they will go.
But then I usually go on and describe my driver settings, since I almost always use HQ 16x AF and HQ 6x AA.
LordEC911
I also always play with HQ 16xAF.I'll rather put down a setting but not that.:D

However what's HQ AA??

jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jed-at-war
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts

Well....to me maxed means MAXED. I mean everything that could possibly make it look better is on. The highest resolution possible, and of course AA and AF as high as it goes.felixworks

I agree 110%. I even go as far as including supersampling for textures with transparency.

FPS seems to be getting left out. Can someone max a game if it is running at 15FPS? I think max should be either 30fps or 60fps. Although, true max would be when the FPS matches the refresh rate of your monitor.

Supersampling and AA are a must for me. I have this hate thing going for jagged lines. Of course, I haven't really liked any newer games enough to play them, but I would probably drop the supersampling and turn the AA to 2x if it was bellow 30fps at 1280x960. I have not ran into this problem yet though.

NOTE: V-sync should always be on. It limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent choppy movement. Since your monitor cannot display a frame rate higher than its refresh rate, turning of V-sync will do no more than push your computer harder than it needs to go and cause choppiness. The only time you should turn it off is while you are benchmarking.

LordEC911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LordEC911
Member since 2004 • 9972 Posts

NOTE: V-sync should always be on. It limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent choppy movement. Since your monitor cannot display a frame rate higher than its refresh rate, turning of V-sync will do no more than push your computer harder than it needs to go and cause choppiness. The only time you should turn it off is while you are benchmarking. jed-at-war

This isn't true.
Whenever your card cannot supply the v-sync FPS, 60, 65, 70, etc. it will actually decrease your FPS quite noticeably. This is one of the reasons that tripple buffering setting is included with apps that support ATi cards.

I guess I used the wrong term, not really HQ AA but adaptive AA.

Lehman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lehman
i got another Q

whats the difference with Bilinear and Trilinear??
Broken_Tulip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Broken_Tulip

[QUOTE="felixworks"]Well....to me maxed means MAXED. I mean everything that could possibly make it look better is on. The highest resolution possible, and of course AA and AF as high as it goes.jed-at-war

I agree 110%. I even go as far as including supersampling for textures with transparency.

FPS seems to be getting left out. Can someone max a game if it is running at 15FPS? I think max should be either 30fps or 60fps. Although, true max would be when the FPS matches the refresh rate of your monitor.

Supersampling and AA are a must for me. I have this hate thing going for jagged lines. Of course, I haven't really liked any newer games enough to play them, but I would probably drop the supersampling and turn the AA to 2x if it was bellow 30fps at 1280x960. I have not ran into this problem yet though.

NOTE: V-sync should always be on. It limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent choppy movement. Since your monitor cannot display a frame rate higher than its refresh rate, turning of V-sync will do no more than push your computer harder than it needs to go and cause choppiness. The only time you should turn it off is while you are benchmarking.

What kind of an earth shattering setup do you have that you can do supersampling??
jed-at-war

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jed-at-war
Member since 2005 • 1335 Posts

[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]NOTE: V-sync should always be on. It limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent choppy movement. Since your monitor cannot display a frame rate higher than its refresh rate, turning of V-sync will do no more than push your computer harder than it needs to go and cause choppiness. The only time you should turn it off is while you are benchmarking. LordEC911

This isn't true.
Whenever your card cannot supply the v-sync FPS, 60, 65, 70, etc. it will actually decrease your FPS quite noticeably. This is one of the reasons that tripple buffering setting is included with apps that support ATi cards.

So, if you are running an old game that you can crush, you turn on v-sync. If you are running a game that your card connot run faster than your refresh rate, shut off v-sync or it will drop your FPS. Right?

[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

[QUOTE="felixworks"]Well....to me maxed means MAXED. I mean everything that could possibly make it look better is on. The highest resolution possible, and of course AA and AF as high as it goes.Broken_Tulip

What kind of an earth shattering setup do you have that you can do supersampling??

It is the one in my sig. The newest games that I play is Star Wars Battlefront II followed by Republic Commando. I guess compared to the games I play, my PC is earth shattering.

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
[QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]NOTE: V-sync should always be on. It limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent choppy movement. Since your monitor cannot display a frame rate higher than its refresh rate, turning of V-sync will do no more than push your computer harder than it needs to go and cause choppiness. The only time you should turn it off is while you are benchmarking. jed-at-war

This isn't true.

So, if you are running an old game that you can crush, you turn on v-sync. If you are running a game that your card connot run faster than your refresh rate, shut off v-sync or it will drop your FPS. Right?

yeah ive found that when i have vsync on when im getting below my refresh rate i dont get as much FPS. imo a game is maxed out when you can run it at 1280x1024 full AA, AF and HDR and all settings maxed out.
dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts
In games unless you play at less then 1024x768, AA pretty much makes absolutely no difference at all. Very very minimal for a large decrease in performance. AF is much more useful and makes the quality of textures better on many surfaces.

I can see 2x AA being useful on resolutions over 1024x768 but the differences from 2 to any other amount of AA is extremely minimal and you will almost never notice any visual difference.
Broken_Tulip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Broken_Tulip

There is a noticible difference between 2xAA and 4xAA no matter what the resolution.

And vsync is not just needed when your FPS is higher than the refresh rate cuz i get plenty of tearing in crysis and vsync gives me no performance drop so i enable it.There are some games though like bioshock and gears which get a performance drop with vsync no matter what i do.

Broken_Tulip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Broken_Tulip
[QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]NOTE: V-sync should always be on. It limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent choppy movement. Since your monitor cannot display a frame rate higher than its refresh rate, turning of V-sync will do no more than push your computer harder than it needs to go and cause choppiness. The only time you should turn it off is while you are benchmarking. jed-at-war

This isn't true.

[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

[QUOTE="felixworks"]Well....to me maxed means MAXED. I mean everything that could possibly make it look better is on. The highest resolution possible, and of course AA and AF as high as it goes.Broken_Tulip

It is the one in my sig. The newest games that I play is Star Wars Battlefront II followed by Republic Commando. I guess compared to the games I play, my PC is earth shattering.

I am with you in that super sampling is a wonder but just too daunting on even the best of todays hardware and really that makes it not worth it.

I was playing no one lives forever 2 the other day and my frames would go down as much as 40 on my 8800.I mean that is a game from 2001 i think:? .All i had to do was turn off supersampling and even with 16xQAA it would never ever come below 60fps cuz i had vsync on.That told me that supersampling aint worth a crap because of the miserable performance.

Lehman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lehman
16xQAA it would never ever come below 60fps cuz i had vsync on

WTF you FPS didnt go below 60 cause you had V Sync on??

V Sync is meant to make it not go past 60 (or what ever the refresh rate) not stop the FPS going below it
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#37 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Pretty much, the highest-quality in-game settings. AA/AF are usually not considered in this.
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 swehunt

This is my thougths...

Max/Maxed game...

All ingame settings are on max. (include AA and AF, if 16xAA is the max ingame setting so yes 16xAA should be enabled!)

Playable framerates. (Well it depends on the eye of the beholder, is 15*ish fps playable?.. no)

Easy!

:P

Lehman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lehman
ok from now on my thought on Maxing a game is

obviously all graphics settings as high as it will go, and the AA and AF as high as it will go in game, no the Nvidia control panel

and then you also need 30+ FPS (30 being the lowest you get) except for crysis, i rekon 25+ is good for crysis

and then theres another questino, what if like Crysis theres only V. high on Vista?? does that mean that only Vista ppl can max a game, and i mean in game settings, so no tweaking,
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 swehunt

ok from now on my thought on Maxing a game is

obviously all graphics settings as high as it will go, and the AA and AF as high as it will go in game, no the Nvidia control panel

and then you also need 30+ FPS (30 being the lowest you get) except for crysis, i rekon 25+ is good for crysis

and then theres another questino, what if like Crysis theres only V. high on Vista?? does that mean that only Vista ppl can max a game, and i mean in game settings, so no tweaking, Lehman

Agreed!

For games utilice DX10 (crysis..) the only way of max them is to get acsess to V.hihg settigs and if thats in Vista then: yes.

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
Usually it means having a resolution at or higher than 1680x1050, with all in game settings set to max (textures, shadows, draw distance and etc...) and AA/AF set to 4x/16x respectively.
AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts
[QUOTE="jed-at-war"][QUOTE="LordEC911"]

[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]NOTE: V-sync should always be on. It limits the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor to prevent choppy movement. Since your monitor cannot display a frame rate higher than its refresh rate, turning of V-sync will do no more than push your computer harder than it needs to go and cause choppiness. The only time you should turn it off is while you are benchmarking. Broken_Tulip

This isn't true.

[QUOTE="jed-at-war"]

I am with you in that super sampling is a wonder but just too daunting on even the best of todays hardware and really that makes it not worth it.

I was playing no one lives forever 2 the other day and my frames would go down as much as 40 on my 8800.I mean that is a game from 2001 i think:? .All i had to do was turn off supersampling and even with 16xQAA it would never ever come below 60fps cuz i had vsync on.That told me that supersampling aint worth a crap because of the miserable performance.

Not if your rig has power to spare.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
In my opinion, maxing a game means turn all the settings to the highest they can go, that includes AA and AF. If you turn AA off, then you are not playing on the maximum settings because it can still go higher.
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#44 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I haven't been able to max a game for a couple years... hopefully soon if I upgrade.

I would consider maxing a game when you turn every available setting in the game to full. the AF AND AA aren't always available in the game, so forcing them really doesn't count. But at least 2xAA really does help along with 8xAF, so maxing almost should include those for the best looking game.