Does a gaming keyboard make a difference?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

My keyboard is the logitech k400. I bought it because its convenient to have a touch pad with the keyboard.

I was wondering if it would benefit my gaming if I bought a gaming keyboard? It seems like I play fine on my keyboard. Although I never have used a keyboard that great gamers use.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Not really.

Unless you need some extra keys for fancy macros in mmos

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@slipknot0129 said:

My keyboard is the logitech k400. I bought it because its convenient to have a touch pad with the keyboard.

I was wondering if it would benefit my gaming if I bought a gaming keyboard? It seems like I play fine on my keyboard. Although I never have used a keyboard that great gamers use.

Depends what type of games you play and what keyboard you buy.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Well yeah, I mean, you might like the feel of a gaming keyboard compared to the standard run-off-the-mill one. Maybe you could use it's benefits with extra keys for games, or hell, maybe you just like the look of that keyboard that has backlighting on the keys (makes it easier to use at night too).

They can get pretty expensive though, so you might want to think hard on whether it might be worth it to you. I've got a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard and it cost $200AU. It's expensive I know, and besides it looking awesome I regret it a little because the keys when clicked are very loud. So during the night when everyone is sleeping, it's far too loud and irritating. So take that into consideration too.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

it really depends on you.

i have a logitech k360 and it's great for someone like myself. it has chiclet keys so i can press X, C, V keys with my thumb, which i couldn't other keyboards without either pressing the spacebar or getting a hand cramp. the keys are close together, including the ESC and function keys which are right on top of the numbers so i can easily bind stuff to them to use ingame.

i've tried gaming keyboards but either they were too big for my table, or too big for my hands, or had some other flaw. this cheap keyboard isn't a detriment to my gaming, and is actually better.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

The keyboard is probably the least significant of "gaming" merchandise you can buy. If you have to type a lot a mechanical keyboard can be very useful (keys take less pressure to register so you can type faster) but other than built in macros and backlights, they're not really more useful that regular keyboards. I have a MS Sidewinder X4 gaming keyboard. It was only $40 and has the backlight and programmable keys. It's not mechanical and very inexpensive. I highly recommend it. I would never spend $100+ on a keyboard. You simply don't get enough benefits for the price.

ImaginaryLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 ImaginaryLarry
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

A gaming keyboard doesn't help that much. I guess it's just for comfort.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Yeah I agree with the others if you define a gaming keyboard as like the logitech g19 and crap, your not really getting anything other than a bunch of fancy relatively useless features. I enjoy my mechanical keyboard a lot on the other hand. Technically it is a "gaming" keyboard, but it have pretty much nothing special about it other than the mechanical switches. My keyboard is a Corsair k 70.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

What makes gaming useful is only the anti ghosting thing, other than that nothing special about them, never in my life used my macro keys.

I have anti ghosting keyboard so I can press up to 5 keys simultaneously.

EDIT: that Logitech k400 that you've bought is used for media center purposes, nothing more.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Not necessarily, but a good KB definitely makes a difference.

I really like my Razor BlackWidow.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

for rts it may help key differentiation on some cherry keyboards

for fps that is movement based (as in strafe is used to aim a lot for left right) you generally want a keyboard with an actuation point that requires force/distance

i use an apple keyboard over cherry keyboards because of the minimal distance required and low force needed... of course it's not for everyone

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#15 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

Mechanical keyboards make a difference. I have no idea what a "gaming" keyboard is even supposed to be. Is that a marketing gimmick or something?

Agreed. I love my mechanical keyboard.

Priapus10101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Priapus10101
Member since 2013 • 157 Posts

@Gammit10 said:

@jimmy_russell said:

Mechanical keyboards make a difference. I have no idea what a "gaming" keyboard is even supposed to be. Is that a marketing gimmick or something?

Agreed. I love my mechanical keyboard.

Same here. Once you go mechanical, you never go back. :)

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@Kh1ndjal said:

i have a logitech k360 and it's great for someone like myself. it has chiclet keys so i can press X, C, V keys with my thumb, which i couldn't other keyboards without either pressing the spacebar or getting a hand cramp. the keys are close together, including the ESC and function keys which are right on top of the numbers so i can easily bind stuff to them to use ingame.

i've tried gaming keyboards but either they were too big for my table, or too big for my hands, or had some other flaw. this cheap keyboard isn't a detriment to my gaming, and is actually better.

I love chiclet keyboards.

The funny thing is I always see people talking crap about them online.

Allurez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Allurez
Member since 2012 • 33 Posts

@BattleSpectre: I don't know whether you knew when you bought the keyboard, but it's a mechanical keyboard. They are usually loud, when the keys are pressed, obviously hehe :P

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

@topgunmv said:

@Kh1ndjal said:

I love chiclet keyboards.

The funny thing is I always see people talking crap about them online.

Chiclets are the way to go if you don't have/want a mechanical.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Nope. Cheap £10 set will do the job.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

Get a mechanical keyboard. It is amazing.