Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

Some context. I spent close to $800 on two Ryzen builds which both flopped. Each was equipped with the Ryzen 5 1600 processor, 16 GB DDR4 ram, and a RX 570 with 4 GB ddr5 Ram. Both died shortly after being built, the first actually nearly caught on fire and the second just upped and quit. Needless to say I'm quite wary about using any of the old parts from the two desktops and I've also grown somewhat more wary of the Ryzen platform as a whole during the past two months.

BTW, The only computers I had left after that was a HP stream laptop which I use mostly for documentation work, and an old Acer equipped with an embedded Intel J1900 and no way to hook up a dedicated graphics processor.

So after carefully considering my financial situation, I determined I had just enough to buy myself a refurbished computer. It so happened I found a nice little HP 6300 Pro, small form factor, equipped with a core I5 3570, 8 GB of DDR3 ram, a 500 gb HDD (I have a 2 TB hard drive I can also add later), Windows 10, and Nividia GT 1030 with 2 GB of GDDR5 ram. The computer came to a total of $260, and is in excellent shape and seems to run nicely, with virtually no cosmetic damage and the interior looks practically brand new.

Granted, this isn't a powerful PC, and I know they are a fair amount of current gen AAA games it can't play, but so long as it can play games like EU4, Farming simulator 2017, War Thunder, and a lot of the older classics such as Sim city 4, Civilization 3, Mount and Blade Warband, and Portal, I'll be more than content to use it for the next year or two, when I can save enough to buy myself to buy a new one.

So what do you think, was it a good decision? So far I think it was a decent call, considering I didn't have to do anything to the PC other than let it install windows and download various updates and my other programs and such, and considering my circumstances.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Has all components died in your Ryzen based PC?

Ryzen based motherboard uses DDR4 memory modules.