Do you think my PSU can hack a GTX 275 or better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm looking forward to the new generation of video cards, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on a new GPU. Partly because my current GPU still handles almost anything I can throw at it, and partly because I'm a little concerned about how my PSU would hold up to say... something with the power draw of a GTX 275 or higher. I know that sometimes GPU and board-makers bloat the PSU requirements for their cards because of the possible combinations of parts that people would be running together..

So, that being said.. here's what I have in my system currently:

E8400 overclocked to 3.7ghz@1.256 V

2 Sata hard drives (7200rpm generics)

2 DVD-RW drives

Overclocked 8800gts 512 (perfectly stable with this PSU for 1.5 years)

8gb of mildly overclocked DDR2-800 RAM

Sound Blaster Xtremegamer sound card

Current PSU is this:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2726

What do you think? Considering the rest of my system... can this PSU handle a GTX275 or better? (I'm really hoping it can handle the new GT300 GPUs, but that's yet to be seen)

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
550W should be able to handle any single card and even some dual card configurations (your unit has plenty of emperage over 2 PCIe 6pin power connectors). It will definitely handle a GTX 285. Not sure about the 295 though, would have to check. If it has 2 6pin PCIe power, you should be able to power it.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Im sure it will handle one card fine, (assuming since itsSLI certified). But it might be cutting it a bit close.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

Im sure it will handle one card fine, (assuming since itsSLI certified). But it might be cutting it a bit close.

Amith12
I'd say up to an HD 4870x2, anything higher is cutting it close, sound about right?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

[QUOTE="Amith12"]

Im sure it will handle one card fine, (assuming since its SLI certified). But it might be cutting it a bit close.

Marfoo

I'd say up to an HD 4870x2, anything higher is cutting it close, sound about right?

Yep, exactly that, im not sure if he/she wanted a Dual GPU card, so I just said SLI, that and if there is a 5870x2 or something, it may not be enough.

machine_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 machine_B
Member since 2007 • 998 Posts
I'd always play it safe considering you have a nice lot of hardware in your comp. I think Nvidia have a list of recommended PSUs on their sites for each card but you'll have to hunt for them. 550W to me seems a little low, but if you have a quality PSU then you might be able to risk it, but personally I wouldn't Nice OC on your E8400 by the way! What mobo/cooler are you using?
jtcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jtcraft
Member since 2005 • 2770 Posts
You should be fine for a single card system, such as the GTX 275/285 and below (and ATI equivalent). I wouldn't try any dual GPU cards though. Also, who knows if it will be enough for the upcoming DX 11 cards. But, a single 275 or 285 should run fine.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I'd always play it safe considering you have a nice lot of hardware in your comp. I think Nvidia have a list of recommended PSUs on their sites for each card but you'll have to hunt for them. 550W to me seems a little low, but if you have a quality PSU then you might be able to risk it, but personally I wouldn't Nice OC on your E8400 by the way! What mobo/cooler are you using?machine_B

Nice.. alot of responses that I wanted to hear! :D. I use an Arctic Cooling freezer 7 Pro on my E8400.. and it still runs hotter than I'd like, but it's been rock-solid stable for over a year now. Mine is a C0 stepping too, so I'm lucky to be able to hold 3.7ghz. Wish I'd gotten an E0 but this kicks some butt as it is.