Do you still only buy PC game box copies?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I remember even going back 2 years ago, alot of PC forum regulars would refuse to participate in the seasonal steam sales, because they were OCD about displaying game boxes in their cabinet. I'd scoff because to me it obviously was a dying trend. Today, alot of North American stores are phasing out boxed copies of PC games, if they even still sell them at all.

Have you guys transitioned over to digital at this point, or are some people still finding a way to only buy box copies of games.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I pretty much buy everything digital these days. Except for select games from publishers I've been a fan of since I was a kid. So, basically... Blizzard games. Hahaha. Diablo 3 was the last retail boxed game I bought. Starcraft 2 was the last one before that. I do have a boxed retail copy of Bioshock Infinite on preorder, though. Because it's going to be amazing, and I have boxed copies of Bioshock 1 and 2.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I buy about 60-80 games per year, 2 of which (at most) are retail, I'd rather have some pretty covers all gathered in some place to form a "library", but digital is much more conventional and easy to manage, even if quite a few times, more expensive than retail (except on sales, but I rarely got most of my stuff on sales in the last two years).
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I usually buy physical discs whenever possible. I save DD for games like Hard Reset and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. For the DD games, I make backups on DVD asap.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Only time I buy digital is if it's significantly cheaper than box.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 True_Sounds

I usually buy physical discs whenever possible. I save DD for games like Hard Reset and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. For the DD games, I make backups on DVD asap.

jun_aka_pekto

What's the reason for backing up on DVDs as opposed to high capacity storage drives (in RAID or otherwise)? I haven't burned a physical .iso in 4-5 years, due to convenience and the declining cost of storage capacity.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
cant even find physical copies of anything not named WoW, call of duty, battlefield, or the sims in my area.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

I'm a gamer since the early eighties. When I look at my collection, I love to pick up the old cassette tapes, 5 1/4" and 3.5" 2DD or HD floppies. Than, when I move up a shelf, I see CD cases and boxes, manuals, user guides, maps etc. When I look at the future shelf, I see a void :cry: NOTHING beats a physical copy of a game. The joy of unwrapping, reading the booklet on the toilet and the memories you get when you look at your collection every time you walk by are irreplaceable.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Only time I buy digital is if it's significantly cheaper than box.C_Rule
This. If more publishers start to sell digital only like Square Enix did with Hitman Absolution PC, physical copies will eventually be the thing of the past. I don't get why people say buying physical copies is stupid if the price is the same as digital or cheaper. I think it's even more stupid to say that.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
whats that? na digital has been working out quite well for me
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I would but sadly the selection is very limited to non existent now.. for PC games I only buy off steam and only when they are really cheap/on sale.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Wish I could but where I live retail games are dead. For PC, anyways.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

A few years ago I bought most of my PC Gaming stuff in the stores and most of them still offer a great varied and mostly current collection of them, but recently I've catched myself buying way more on Steam than in the stores.

Though some major releases like Far Cry 3 will always be bought in a store by me, I just want to have the Box with it.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Hardly nowadays.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zebracal
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

I'm a gamer since the early eighties. When I look at my collection, I love to pick up the old cassette tapes, 5 1/4" and 3.5" 2DD or HD floppies. Than, when I move up a shelf, I see CD cases and boxes, manuals, user guides, maps etc. When I look at the future shelf, I see a void :cry: NOTHING beats a physical copy of a game. The joy of unwrapping, reading the booklet on the toilet and the memories you get when you look at your collection every time you walk by are irreplaceable.

geitenvla
Well said! I agree with you on this statement. For me I really want physical copies of the games that I buy because I want to create a library of games. Don't get me wrong, buying digital copies are still ok because this will take you less space.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

True_Sounds

What's the reason for backing up on DVDs as opposed to high capacity storage drives (in RAID or otherwise)? I haven't burned a physical .iso in 4-5 years, due to convenience and the declining cost of storage capacity.

I have plenty of blank DVD platters. I only make disc backups of those games which are relatively small. Plus, I use my archive hard drives for raw videos and digital photos but not for games. I may buy a dedicated hard drive for game backups later.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

When I first started serious pc gaming back in 2007 when I bought my first graphics card I used to buy almost exclsuviely boxed pc games online from amazon mostly sticking to older pc games even before DD sales older pc games would drop in price faster and reach lower prices then console games for new copies $10-$5 was not uncommon for games 2 year and older pc games if you shopped online. Physical retail store prices where usually terrible unless the game just came out or it was cheap already like $10 or less. I bought some digital this gradually shifted over a period of 5 years until now its pretty much all digital only for pc games

The prices are cheaper when you wait for sales and its also more convenient. Installs from a dvd are a hassle especially with games that are multi disk installs and especially bad if you want to install a bunch of games at once with DD its much easier especially the client based DD like steam and origin. You can queue up downloads for your entire game library if you want to and they will download the game files to your pc and first time you launch them it will run a mini install. With stuff like gamer gate and amazon where it downloads the install files to your hardrive and then runs them to install the game its not as convenient but still more so then physical copies but if you don't won't to lock all your games to a single account then those and gog.com are necessary although with more and more games requiring steam and some origin its becoming harder to do that.

My internet is also alot faster then back when I started pc gaming only had 1.5Mbps download now its 50Mbs download I can downlload games so much faster now so further pushes me towards DD. I would go for a retail copy if it was alot cheaper or even pay a bit more if it required steamworks/origin like Skyrim or Battlefield 3 so just have to add the key to my account or one of blizzards games wheres it tied to my battle net account even the older games you can register to your account with the cd key I've kinda run out of room though for physical boxes though.

For consoles I rarely buy games when they first come out and for older games the retail copy is almost always cheaper then the DD copy which tends to be overpriced and they pretty much never go on sale and barely drop in price I'm not willing to pay more for convenience of not having to swap out the disk to play another game. I stick to digital for the digital only games on my ps3 for wii games and ps2 games I buy the games and rip them to my hardrive and play on emulators on my pc.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I'd still buy cases, no problem. For the most parts, I've gone DD now. A few years ago, I actually threw away all my boxes. I kept the CD's and paper/sleeve if they had CD keys in a binder. I needed as much space as I can get, and the boxes/manuals were wasting them.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#19 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

The last one I bought was Diablo 3, mainly because I love the art and I always have physical copies of Blizzard games.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Only if the game is significantly big and I have don't have access to my school's internet, my dl speed at home isn't very fast (takes about 1 hr to download 1 gig), so it takes a while to download a big game.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
Only time I buy digital is if it's significantly cheaper than box.C_Rule
Yeah same here. I still prefer buying retail copies, especially because internet speeds here are crap.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

geitenvla

PC games boxes suck though now adays there not even big dvd case anymore just slim plastic dvd cases and don't come out with a manual anymore just a single sheet of paper that includes the controls and some advertising at most. Only collectors editions include nice packaging and some bonuses that make it more worthwhile going physhical assuming you buy the game at launch they sell out quick and then people price gouge them. You have some exceptions like the witcher 2 regular retail box includes alot of nice stuff. If pc games still came in these super sized cardboard boxes I might buy more physhical copies those are nice like mini collectors editions I only have a deus ex I lucked out on buying on amazon had no idea it was going to be a big box copy was surpsied when it arrived.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

True_Sounds

Hard drives fail, dvds can get scratched but if you take care of them they'll always be there.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

It depends on the game. If there are a lot of packed in goodies/an awesome manual like the witcher 2, then I'll buy a boxed copy.

If it's EA and there's just a legal info insert in the box, then no (I'm not going to spend nearly as much on a digital copy either).

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

ampiva

Hard drives fail, dvds can get scratched but if you take care of them they'll always be there.

Not true. I've had old disks (5-10 years) start shedding the metallic material that the data is burned onto, rendering them useless.

It depends on what materials were used to make the disk, and these change all the time depending on material costs.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Where's the option of "I buy both Physical and Digital" ???
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Incredibly rare that I do. Most recent is GW2, was just convenient to grab it when i got my laptop when the game released, both from newegg. I just don't have the space for boxes or the care to keep a collection of cardboard

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Yeah I still get retail copies sometimes. I would never say "I would never buy DD" That's just stupid. Poll should be fixed.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

I bought a retail copy of Guildwars 2. Im not gonna pass up a Steam deal just to have a box though.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto

Where's the option of "I buy both Physical and Digital" ???FelipeInside

That's the option I was looking for.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 True_Sounds

Where's the option of "I buy both Physical and Digital" ???FelipeInside

well that would be "no" I guess, shoulda titled the thread the same as the poll

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="ampiva"][QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

topgunmv

Not true. I've had old disks (5-10 years) start shedding the metallic material that the data is burned onto, rendering them useless.

It depends on what materials were used to make the disk, and these change all the time depending on material costs.

That depend on the brand too. I seem to have very good luck with Verbatim discs. I still have a load of cd-r discs from 2001 and earlier with data that are still fine.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="ampiva"]

jun_aka_pekto

That depend on the brand too. I seem to have very good luck with Verbatim discs. I still have a load of cd-r discs from 2001 and earlier with data that are still fine.

I have discs from before that that still work. The brand is important (some brands offer longer lasting discs), but the way you STORE them is vital.
CBN16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CBN16
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts

Sometimes I check online to see if the game is redeemed on Steam. If it isn't, I pass.

CBN16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CBN16

Sometimes I check online to see if the game is redeemed on Steam. If it isn't, I pass.

CBN16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CBN16

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

CBN16

CBN16

CBN16
Ok ok. We get ur point :P
WaterSphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 WaterSphere
Member since 2012 • 203 Posts
I usually only do digital these days.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Lord Gaben is pleased with our allegiance.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
If i can i will buy a retail disc of the game. Sadly most good indie games dont have retail discs =(.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
cant even find physical copies of anything not named WoW, call of duty, battlefield, or the sims in my area.yellosnolvr
Same here. The PC sections at all the local EB Games are pretty pathetic, not to mention the price they sell them at.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
I order games online... local store prices are way to high 99% of the time.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#45 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

No, I only buy them when I have no choice.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Not 'only' but I focus on buying boxed copies. I like having a physical collection of games - and about over 800 or so. To me, having a library like that is important. If the game is cheap on a service like Steam though, a big enough difference, then hell yeah I'll buy the Steam version - and sometimes pick up the used game disk and case if I really would like it on the shelf.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
i avoid physical copies i am way too lazy to put a disc in i only buy boxed if it's like way cheaper in the case of dirt 3, it's 10$ on amazon and 50$ on steam
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I usually buy boxed copies. Digital copies seem hold their RRP a lot longer than boxed copies. I can usually get boxed copies of games at 50% off a month after release.
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#49 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

[QUOTE="geitenvla"]

DJ_Headshot

PC games boxes suck though now adays there not even big dvd case anymore just slim plastic dvd cases and don't come out with a manual anymore just a single sheet of paper that includes the controls and some advertising at most. Only collectors editions include nice packaging and some bonuses that make it more worthwhile going physhical assuming you buy the game at launch they sell out quick and then people price gouge them. You have some exceptions like the witcher 2 regular retail box includes alot of nice stuff. If pc games still came in these super sized cardboard boxes I might buy more physhical copies those are nice like mini collectors editions I only have a deus ex I lucked out on buying on amazon had no idea it was going to be a big box copy was surpsied when it arrived.

Sad enough, you're right about this. When I look at my collection I can see a huge difference between modern boxed games and older ones. Companies have become cheap and the nice extras have been replaced by a simple sheet of paper in most cases. To me, as a collector... this hurts a lot. Nowadays I can hardly tell the difference between my modern games- and movie collection. But still, I've got something to hold in my hands.

Because of this topic, I was browsing through my shelves, openend the last ninja tape for C64 and immediately grasped the feeling that I had as a kid. That tape used to be so important to me and the worn down ink on the cassette proves how many times I slid this into my deck. Digital copies are lifeless... sure you can play the game but it has become more sterile. Imo, no matter how stripped down the box is, I'll still prefer it over digital.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

If I can get it in a boxed copy for a good price, I will. If I know I'm getting it launch day, boxed or bust unless it's digital only. I like having that collection. Some games I haven't got yet but want are Of Orcs and Men and Dark Souls. I want boxed copies though (especially Dark Souls) but they never came to the US so I have to import from somewhere. Seems like the price never wants to drop for those so then it becomes the matter of one game or 3-4.