do you PC gamers use gaming keyboards and mouses for gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamer_sammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gamer_sammy
Member since 2005 • 220 Posts
is there actually a lot of difference?
Avatar image for TugboatTheGreat
TugboatTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TugboatTheGreat
Member since 2007 • 646 Posts

is there actually a lot of difference?gamer_sammy

Keyboard and mouse is the way to go. Nothing can beat it.

RikkAndrsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RikkAndrsn
Member since 2005 • 1155 Posts
I use a G5 mouse and G11 keyboard, but I used a stock HP keyboard and mouse combo for almost 4 years of gaming before switching over. The macro keys and sensitivity difference is major, but everything else isn't really different.
Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
Nope, I use a compaq default and normal Logitech Wheel Mouse.
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

The D.P.I. and polling rate of certain gaming mice can really help keep your cursor smooth, which is nice not only for gaming but general desktop use as well. I find that most gaming mice priced around or below $60 are often worth the money if you do a little research.

As for the keyboard, it's not quite as important. Macro keys are nice, but not everyone is going to use them fully. Illumination is a cool effect as well, but not all that useful. The anti-locking thing some gaming keyboards have does come in handy though.

simpsons1fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 simpsons1fan
Member since 2005 • 3056 Posts
hemp. im going to get g7 mouse and g11 keyboard (i actually found g7 cheaer than g5)
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

Nope, I use a compaq default and normal Logitech Wheel Mouse.Luminouslight

what kind of wheel mouse? i have a logitech one too.

gamer_sammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamer_sammy

i'm currently using a logitech mouse and keyboard combination, got it a couple of years ago.

since i don't use my desktop too often, i guess i'll spend more on my laptop's mouse. i'm thinking maybe the logitech vx revolution.

cricketboy2238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 cricketboy2238
Member since 2004 • 5717 Posts

I found a huge difference when I went from using the basic two button Logitech wheel mouse that I bought several years back to using my Logitech G7. It's much more precise and comfortable. I don't do a ton of gaming anymore, but even so the precision is much appreciated when using apps like Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, and the customizable buttons are awesome for using Dreamweaver. I bought a Logitech G15, hoping for as much of an improvement as I got from the mouse, but I feel more and more like it was a waste of my money. The macro keys can come in handy for code snippets when writing long semantic XHTML or Java, but I've found them practically useless for gaming. The display on the keyboard doesn't tell me anything that a widget couldn't, anyway.

I've found that you don't have to buy a gaming mouse to get a good gaming mouse. I have a Logitech VX Revolution for my laptop and I've never been more comfortable gaming on a laptop. It's a wonderful mouse, and the scroll wheel rules, especialy in impractical situations where I wouldn't normally have the option of using the mouse if I didn't have the VX Revolution. While I'm still a keyboard shotrcut kind of guy, especially on laptops with those cumbersome touchpads, the VX Revolution is a huge improvement in usability. Now if only there were a bluetooth version...

brainiac24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 brainiac24
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
The mouse makes a world of difference... the keyboard is more of a fashion statement :P . I'm a proud owner of a Razer Copperhead and Tarantula.
c02z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 c02z
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
i use mouse and keyboard for FPS, RTS, any shooter for the rest i use a gamepad to play.
LahiruD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LahiruD
Member since 2006 • 2164 Posts
I use a normal Keyboard & a Logitech MX 1000 laser mouse.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I still think gaming keyboards are a total waste of money - last few times mine has died I've simply gone on Ebay and nabbed a simple Logitech media keyboard for ten bucks.

My G5, however, I couldn't live without. Part of it is due to running 1920x1200 and needing a quick mouse, though.

I also purchased one of those ****** Nostramos a couple months back for ten bucks - it's hilarious. It's actually been moderately useful with my laptop as extended gaming sessions where I would use WASD are more comfortable on the keypad thingie. Macros less so...mostly because I'm too lazy to program anything intricate. I would never use it to complement a regular keyboard, though, since it would just be doubling up.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#14 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

[QUOTE="gamer_sammy"]is there actually a lot of difference?TugboatTheGreat
Keyboard and mouse is the way to go. Nothing can beat it.

:| Dude, that's not even an answer to the question the OP asked.

Personally, I don't use those 'gamer keyboards' because I've yet to see any justification for the price premium that they command.

Besides, I also do a lot of other tasks with my keyboard other than just tapping away at the same four buttons (WASD).

That and well, most of those "gaming keyboards" are freakin' huge and I just don't have the space within my keyboard drawer for something like the G11 or G15.

Gaming mice on the other hand are generally a lot more precise than the "standard" counterparts, and I've noticed a fair bit of difference going from cheapo mice to stuff like the intellimouse optical and now recently with my MX400.

Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
A keyboard might not make much difference, but a Logitech G5 is FPS and RTS heaven. It has changeable speeds, and an integrated weight set that lets you change how much the mouse weights by grams.
j3ninja10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 j3ninja10
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts
gaming mice vs. non-gaming mice is totally up to the user.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I use a logitech lx5 that I got for ten bucks yay!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104195

gamer_sammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamer_sammy

The mouse makes a world of difference... the keyboard is more of a fashion statement :P . I'm a proud owner of a Razer Copperhead and Tarantula.brainiac24

oh i actually thought about getting those 2 but they aren't wireless.....

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
Genius Ergo 525 - laser gaming mouse 2000dpi Zboard Keyboard - is a gaming keyboard
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

I use cheap keyboards because I spill on them all the time.

I'm on my 4th intellimouse explorer 3.0...I really like that mouse.

TheDukeEmperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheDukeEmperor
Member since 2007 • 202 Posts

From my experience a good mouse is important, having the nice precision for aiming, and a keyboard would be second.

Gator20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gator20
Member since 2007 • 81 Posts
I just ordered a Logitech G11 keyboard and and a G5 mouse. I used a Saitek Eclipse and a MX518 currently. Both have served me well in games. I think it's more important to have a decent mouse in games.
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
The thing I noticed with high quality gaming mice, is that you can pick them up freely and not have them spaz out like low quality optical mice.
__JMAR_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 __JMAR_
Member since 2006 • 528 Posts
I got the fatal1ty 1010 mouse
tranhgiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tranhgiang
Member since 2005 • 365 Posts

Consider how much time I sit at the computer, the mouse is the thing I touch the most (maybe even in my entire life)

So I tend to buy good mouse. Im using the Mx518 right now. I think it's the best mouse in the market right now in term of design and tracking.

I don't know about the new blue G5. The old gray one lack one button, and the laser technology is not mature yet.

Bobbomadic121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Bobbomadic121
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts
i use the logitech mx5000 keyboard and mouse set for gaming. As said, the mouse is much more noticeable than a gaming keyboard. But any high quality mouse will be good for games, especially laser mice. I love the Mx1000 that came with the set, and the new Vx Revolutions are extremely comfortable too (but too expensive for me :cry: )
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I've been using a Logitech G5(2005 model, "rust" finish, one thumb button)for a while now, and I wonder how I could ever go along without it-especially since my last mouse was a budget optical one with a scroll-ball that tended to have negative acceleration effects and spaz out on me in a heated firefight. However, I've been using budget rubber dome keyboards until very recently, when I got my hands on an IBM Model M. No, it doesn't have macros, backlighting, or anything fancy like that, but the buckling spring keys feel nice to push, it's got a nice heft(largely because there's a large metal plate in the thing!), most of the keycaps are swappable, it'll probably last longer than me, and finally, THERE ARE NO WINDOWS KEYS TO PUSH AND TOTALLY SCREW YOU OVER IN A TENSE GAMING SESSION! (I've heard that some boards like the G15 have a switch that disables that infernal key, but I'm not sure if that, the MFD, and the macros are going to win me over from what is already a proven keyboard.)
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Yes.
storjohan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 storjohan_
Member since 2004 • 882 Posts
Im using a saitek pro gamer command unit( small keyboard with a analog stick and 21 buttons) and a logitech mx518. works great.
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
I have a Dynex KB&M. I got the combo for 8 bucks (I am a Best Buy Employee), and I will probably change my mouse.
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
I currently own a MX518 and a G15 keyboard. I personally love the G15 as I enjoy macroing in the many RTSs I tend to play? Does it make it cheap? Nah, it just gives me an advantage. As for the mouse, it has served me well over the years except the fact that I find that a gunk builds up between the buttons.....
WhiteSnake5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WhiteSnake5000
Member since 2005 • 12454 Posts

The D.P.I. and polling rate of certain gaming mice can really help keep your cursor smooth, which is nice not only for gaming but general desktop use as well. I find that most gaming mice priced around or below $60 are often worth the money if you do a little research.

As for the keyboard, it's not quite as important. Macro keys are nice, but not everyone is going to use them fully. Illumination is a cool effect as well, but not all that useful. The anti-locking thing some gaming keyboards have does come in handy though.

RayvinAzn
Mine was $10 bucks I think it's great. I think gaming mouses are highly overrated. I mean I've used one before, but eh... I'm not spending more than $20 on a mouse. I'd rather just get something cheap, not because I can't afford one or anything like that, but because I'd rather spend my money in games than gaming mouses and keyboardsl. I have a Logitech eclipse keyboard and before that I had one of those zboards, none of em where really worth their money as their about the same as my old emachines keyboard. Except If find the LEDs very nice on my Saitek Eclipse, I just don't feel that my money was well spent. And that's the same way I feel about a gaming mouse so that's why I haven't bought one yet. Yes, I feal the diffrence, but it's not a whole lot better and nothing that would make me any better than I already am in my games. However Sound Cards can make a huge difference over onboard sound so that's about the only thing I feel is worth spending your money on. EIther way my $10 Microsoft mouse is probably a better value than all those nice G5 mouses and what not. That's how I feel about that anyway.
jjj13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#33 jjj13
Member since 2005 • 2399 Posts
I use my Dell wireless mouse and keyboard although everything on my pc is new it is the last remaining parts.
saifiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 saifiii
Member since 2006 • 274 Posts
im using a G5 mouse and a cheap a4tech board
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
The best Keyboard I can really say is the classic 98 hard-to-press-button keyboard.
TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 TheDarthvader
Member since 2002 • 7916 Posts
A good mouse is a must IMO. Gaming keyboard? You've gotta be kidding!
D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

The best Keyboard I can really say is the classic 98 hard-to-press-button keyboard.SoberWarock

The reverb from the keys takes me straight back to the 80s with 13" screens on IBMs :P

MondoCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MondoCool
Member since 2007 • 866 Posts
I use the logitech g5 + g15, and a 40 dollar steelpad mousepad, and I do professional gaming works great...
gamer_sammy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamer_sammy
is there any good wireless gaming keyboard and mouse out there?
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#40 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

is there any good wireless gaming keyboard and mouse out there?gamer_sammy
The tech's significantly improved by now.

On my oldie I have a logitech LX700 combo that has worked great. Main reason I changed up to a wired set for my new machine is mostly because some of the keys started sticking on the keyboard itself, and my oldie would still need a keyboard anyway (as it's still running).

Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts

I game on a Microsoft KB+M set, probably worth $8. :lol:

I laugh when I beat people with Razor DeathAdders, G5s, Copperheads and etc... :lol: