Do you buy RPGS with no character custom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheHighWind (5388 posts) -

I hate those games. Dragon Age 2, the worst RPG IMO at least lets you choose what you look like.

It has become a must have for me, am I alone in this feild?

Games like "Gothic" and "Risen" appeal to me, I love the idea of those games, but I don't want to be the ugly bald guy or pre made character.

You, PC and Mac games?

#2 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -

I hate those games. Dragon Age 2, the worst RPG IMO at least lets you choose what you look like.

It has become a must have for me, am I alone in this feild?

Games like "Gothic" and "Risen" appeal to me, I love the idea of those games, but I don't want to be the ugly bald guy or pre made character.

You, PC and Mac games?

TheHighWind
Well both types of games have their charm... But if i have to say what i play most of the time it would be old school rpg's and so on. DA2 had another problem that it was just plain crap.
#3 Posted by SerOlmy (2333 posts) -
I somewhat agree. I tend to avoid RPGs without some sort of customization. One of the big reasons I can't get into the Witcher games and my major grievance with TOR. Personally, since story is the most important part of an RPG, no character customization makes it really hard to get invested in the narrative. I would consider it a deal breaker in most cases.
#4 Posted by FaustArp (1036 posts) -

The Witcher 2 is one of my all-time favorite games.

#5 Posted by -wildflower- (2997 posts) -

A RPG without meaningful character development is an action-adventure game.

#6 Posted by ShimmerMan (4605 posts) -

In terms of how the character looks like? I don't care...But RPGs which force the player into a character role, i(e The Witcher 2). Then you're not really creating a character you're just playing as Geralt and those type of RPGs I find not that interesting. Risen and Gothic don't really force the player into a role, just the aesthetic visuals of the characters, but there's plenty of variation on how to build a character and which factions to join. DA2 has pretty good combat and gameplay for an RPG and also a class system and variation in how to build each class, so I didn't mind that game too much either. Mass Effect 2/3 though was snooze worthy.

#7 Posted by Planeforger (17283 posts) -

Considering how Planescape Torment, The Witcher, Gothic 2, Alpha Protocol (and even arguably games like Fallout 2, Vampire Bloodlines, Arcanum, etc.) either give you pre-made characters or characters whose visuals you cannot customise...I'd have to say that I don't really care about being able to create my own character from scratch.

It's clearly possible to make one of the best RPGs of all time even if they give you a character with a set name, background and job, so it can't be that important for the story, roleplaying, or sense of immersion.

#8 Posted by the_bi99man (11242 posts) -

If you're talking about appearance customization, I really don't care that much, as long as the game is good. When there is a super deep customization system, like with a huge face editor, I usually get bored after like 3 minutes of messing with my face, so I just hit the random button a few times until I find something "close enough", then I go.

#9 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I like it but it's not a big deal to me.

#10 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

The Witcher 2 is one of my all-time favorite games.

FaustArp

Just came into this thread to say, imagine The Witcher with something else like Geralt's appereance...that SO wouldn't work xD

As we all pretty much can see by our own "awesome selfmade Mass Effect Shepards"...seriously, they all look just like mutations of a NPC in the ME Universe while the standard Shepard look indeed is unique.