do sound cards increase the volume?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
#1 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22919 posts) -

I need to know this before I get the sennheiser hd 558 on friday. I only have the budget to get the headphones(or get the sound card now and wait another year to get the headphones) so I want to know if plugging headphones increase the sound volume. Will be plugging the headphones directly to sound card cause my speakers audio jack doesn't work.

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

If the soundcard has an amp then yes, otherwise no. 558s are fairly sensitive an 50ohms isn't too high so i'd assume onboard sound would go loud enough. It won't sound quite as good as a better soundcard but I'd guess you'd have enough volume.

#3 Edited by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

If the soundcard has an amp then yes, otherwise no. 558s are fairly sensitive an 50ohms isn't too high so i'd assume onboard sound would go loud enough. It won't sound quite as good as a better soundcard but I'd guess you'd have enough volume.

The sound card doesn't need an amp to deliver louder sound - it may be perfectly capable of doing so without it. It just wouldn't be nearly as significant as having an amp. Headphone ports still deliver varying power, amp or no amp. My X-Fi XtremeGamer, for example, probably goes at least a good 25% louder than my onboard, and it has no amp.

#4 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22919 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@kraken2109 said:

The sound card doesn't need an amp to deliver louder sound - it may be perfectly capable of doing so without it. It just wouldn't be nearly as significant as having an amp. Headphone ports still deliver varying power, amp or no amp. My X-Fi XtremeGamer, for example, probably goes at least a good 25% louder than my onboard, and it has no amp.

what is the difference between the hd 518 and 558? does the 518 have any issues or something?

edit: hd 518 is my only option now cause the seller ships to dhl. I already had a hassle with them once and I don't want go through them again

#5 Posted by PredatorRules (11950 posts) -

You might notice difference when connecting a 5.1 or 7.1 system to the PC, Audio cards are made to take off some CPU processing.

#6 Edited by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

You might notice difference when connecting a 5.1 or 7.1 system to the PC, Audio cards are made to take off some CPU processing.

It makes no difference with modern CPUs.

@TheShadowLord07 The 558 has a flatter frequency response.

#7 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22919 posts) -

@kraken2109

what does that mean exactly?

#8 Edited by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@kraken2109

The graph shows volume against frequency. Ideally, the line would be fairly flat (well flat for speakers, not quite for headphones). Try reading this:

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php

#9 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22919 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@kraken2109

The graph shows volume against frequency. Ideally, the line would be fairly flat (well flat for speakers, not quite for headphones). Try reading this:

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/about-headphone-measurements.php

still don't understand if thats a good thing or not but I'll just take your word on it. what other headphones I should look around that price range?

#10 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

HD518 is pretty much the only open backed pair for $100 I can recommend. (There are a few AKG models in that range but I don't know enough about them to comment)

Good closed back cans include:

Shure SRH440

Sennhesier HD439 and HD449

Sony MDR7506