do I have a virus?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 notconspiracy
Member since 2007 • 2225 Posts

so, today for a few minutes, I suddenly got almost a torrent of malware software ads and pop-ups saying that I have a virus on my system. so I figure I'll run a scan because I already have antivirus software. the software on my computer doesn't detect anything. the ads said that my computer could have a virus if it is acting erratically or is slowing down. so I figure I'll run 3Dmark and if does have a virus, surely something should **** up in 3Dmark, a performance drop should happen, but I run it and I get the same usual score, ~8200 marks.

so Iwant to know, do I have a virus? I really dont want to reformat my hard drive if I dont need to

Luminouslight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Luminouslight
Member since 2007 • 6397 Posts
It's just an ad, I wouldn't even be concerned. If you notice any problems, then you should look into it but considering nothing is happening.... you know...
1337cole1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 1337cole1337
Member since 2007 • 226 Posts
i got that today to, i ran a scan an everything was fine. said something like

your computer is infected! you're computer could be prone to erratic behaviour! then it went to like download our software! and i figured that it was just an add.
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 notconspiracy
Member since 2007 • 2225 Posts
i got that today to, i ran a scan an everything was fine. said something like

your computer is infected! you're computer could be prone to erratic behaviour! then it went to like download our software! and i figured that it was just an add.1337cole1337
YEAH! that's EXACTLY what it said
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts
they are nothing but ads to get you to click, click, click. dont be so easily drawn in. rely on your AV app which actually can ya know scan your flippin system..
eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts

so, today for a few minutes, I suddenly got almost a torrent of malware software ads and pop-ups saying that I have a virus on my system. so I figure I'll run a scan because I already have antivirus software. the software on my computer doesn't detect anything. the ads said that my computer could have a virus if it is acting erratically or is slowing down. so I figure I'll run 3Dmark and if does have a virus, surely something should **** up in 3Dmark, a performance drop should happen, but I run it and I get the same usual score, ~8200 marks.

so Iwant to know, do I have a virus? I really dont want to reformat my hard drive if I dont need to

notconspiracy

get spybot search and destroy.... should get rid of the ads.

AnonymousDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AnonymousDX
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

OMG, that is so obviously an add. Just forget about it.

Frag_grenade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Frag_grenade
Member since 2005 • 574 Posts

Popups? Or just adds on your browser? If popups you likely have an issue. Not with a virus but with Spyware and Adware. I recommend getting spybot search and destroy, and ad aware. Those should fix your problem.

The problem is your antivirus isn't cleaning the spyware on your computer. Most antivirus's dont.