Do games still work on single-core processors?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for angry-slavicboy
angry-slavicboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angry-slavicboy
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts

Hi i downloaded the XCOM demo off steam (Min requierments list Dual Core 2ghz processor) and was very excited to play it, but when i klick it nothing happens. The little steam window pops up where it says "starting game" and it disappears, that's all.

My computer can run Starcraft 2 on high settings with a little bit of framerate chokes. I have a single-core processor athlon 3700+. My computer is great other than that, it has a powerful graphics card and it can run every new game that comes out, it just stutters alot because the lack of a good processor. Games that look much better than XCOM can run too. For example i play ARMA 2 without problems.

So does this game not start because it detects that i dont have a dual-core, or is there just some other random bug?

tech stuff; Ive looked into it, it's socket 939, so i have to change motherboards too. When i bought it socket 939 was the newest and best thing, who knew that would completely change? 939 processors aren't even built anymore! And a 939 processor costs 3 times as much as an equal processor on a different socket.

Armoured_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Armoured_Mage
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

Hi i downloaded the XCOM demo off steam (Min requierments list Dual Core 2ghz processor) and was very excited to play it, but when i klick it nothing happens. The little steam window pops up where it says "starting game" and it disappears, that's all.

My computer can run Starcraft 2 on high settings with a little bit of framerate chokes. I have a single-core processor athlon 3700+. My computer is great other than that, it has a powerful graphics card and it can run every new game that comes out, it just stutters alot because the lack of a good processor. Games that look much better than XCOM can run too. For example i play ARMA 2 without problems.

So does this game not start because it detects that i dont have a dual-core, or is there just some other random bug?

tech stuff; Ive looked into it, it's socket 939, so i have to change motherboards too. When i bought it socket 939 was the newest and best thing, who knew that would completely change? 939 processors aren't even built anymore! And a 939 processor costs 3 times as much as an equal processor on a different socket.

angry-slavicboy

it might process information in a way that utilises multiple cores effectively, plus if it says the min requirements are dual core its unlikely anything below it will work.

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts
Did you try verifying your game cache? Sometimes a game does that to me and it's because of a missing or corrupted file.
jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts
To me, it doesn't sound like it's not loading because of the single processor. I would think the devs would have the decency to give you a pop up stating that it isn't loading because your system does not meet the min requirements, to save gamers this type of frustration. The best I could say is to clear your cache/temp files and reinstall and see if that helps.
agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

The game also doesnt support XP, if thats what youre running.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

sound s like your machine is just way too old

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#7 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
It's likely you can't run in, but I suggest you at least try the game's support forums and/or email.
Avatar image for angry-slavicboy
angry-slavicboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 angry-slavicboy
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts

I am sticking with XP because i like it, so that may be it too. I did verify the game cache, because thats what came up from searching on google.. some other people had that problem with steam games. I guess it's the XP thing i think thats more likely since ypu guys say a single core might run it.

Thanks for helping me out!

System isn't old though. The graphics card is a beast and all my drivers are updated and all that.. it's just the core that can't keep up anymore. It's only a 150 dollars to upgrade it, motherboard and dual core and new memory.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi

oh its old buddy....XP support is ending now, its over 10 years old and single cores havent been relevant in 6-7 years

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

oh its old buddy....XP support is ending now, its over 10 years old and single cores havent been relevant in 6-7 years

wis3boi
Man that's kind of crazy when you think about it, it seem only yesterday when I was using a Amd 64 3000+ processor.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

sSubZerOo

Man that's kind of crazy when you think about it, it seem only yesterday when I was using a Amd 64 3000+ processor.

and now dual cores are phasing out.

RyanBurnsRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RyanBurnsRed
Member since 2012 • 201 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

All that's left is to phase out 32 bit and DX 9.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

I still use a dual core, so hopefully not for another year. Yes I am fine with the framerate limit that presents me with for now.

Also if you think that's crazy then just remember that 4MB of RAM was considered a LOT just a little over a decade, and to play a game you had to buy it on disc, install several of those discs and put in a little code. Now you install a game from thin air onto your hard drive and play it on a machine with more power and style then 10 NASA spaceships from the 80's (estimate).