Do any ATI brands warranties cover overclocking?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Indestructible2
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Indestructible2
Member since 2007 • 5935 Posts

I know eVGA and XFX do,but those are NVIDIA,i'm wondering about ATi though,do Sapphire or HIS cover OCing?

jmaster299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 jmaster299
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts
I didn't know ANY GPU manufacture covered modifying their product to perform and levels it is not intended to safely perform at. Check ATI's web site but I would think that the answer is no. You remove the governor chip from you car and chevy wont warranty your engine when you throw a rod. If a GPU manufacture sells an "Overclocked" version it is because the modified it in house and put it under stress tests to ensure it would not fail under load.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I didn't know ANY GPU manufacture covered modifying their product to perform and levels it is not intended to safely perform at. Check ATI's web site but I would think that the answer is no. You remove the governor chip from you car and chevy wont warranty your engine when you throw a rod. If a GPU manufacture sells an "Overclocked" version it is because the modified it in house and put it under stress tests to ensure it would not fail under load.jmaster299
evga and xfx do both warranty end-user overclocking - through personal experience. :D bfg does too in practice, though i don't know if they mention it on the warranty specifically like the other two.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
One would think they do, considering that ATi themselves provide an auto-overclocking utility in their drivers in the form of Overdrive.
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts
I'm almost positive that all the newer ATI cards do cover end-user OC'ing. I mean afterall, they do allow you to easily OC it in the ATI control panel. I'm guessing that is would be covered and they want you to do it.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Makari
AMD WILL NOT BE LIABLE UNDER THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IF ITS TESTING AND EXAMINATION DISCLOSE IN AMD'S REASONABLE OPINION THAT THE ALLEGED DEFECT OR MALFUNCTION IN THE PRODUCT OR SOFTWARE DOES NOT EXIST OR WAS CAUSED BY CUSTOMER'S OR ANY THIRD PARTY'S MISUSE, NEGLECT, IMPROPER INSTALLATION OR TESTING, UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS TO OPEN, ALTER, REPAIR OR MODIFY THE PRODUCT OR SOFTWARE, OR ANY OTHER CAUSE BEYOND THE RANGE OF THE INTENDED USE OF THE PRODUCT...ATi Warranty
They definitely don't warranty overclocking or any kind of mods if they feel like it, apparently. It also mentions early on that the warranty is for ONE year, and only if you register the card within 30 days of purchase. Otherwise you get no warranty. Pretty harsh... someone like HIS probably has a nicer one. edit: HIS doesn't have their own warranty, they just send you to ATi's warranty with the same stipulations..
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
no thye dont, but whenever i have had a problem with a company that doesnt cover overclocking i just simply said no that i was not overclocking and i haven gotten a replacement card back. Thats happened about 4 times with me and 3 of them were ATI and Sapphire.
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Indestructible2
no thye dont, but whenever i have had a problem with a company that doesnt cover overclocking i just simply said no that i was not overclocking and i haven gotten a replacement card back. Thats happened about 4 times with me and 3 of them were ATI and Sapphire. 9mmSpliff
Typo? or you saying you haven't got a replacement card?
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]no thye dont, but whenever i have had a problem with a company that doesnt cover overclocking i just simply said no that i was not overclocking and i haven gotten a replacement card back. Thats happened about 4 times with me and 3 of them were ATI and Sapphire. Indestructible2

Sorry I did get a replacement card. Just when they asked me if it has been overclocked I said nope. How can they find out anyways? SSJBen or LordEC might know if they can, specially SSJBen since he works at a store that sells parts and hes a hardware reviewer.
Indestructible2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Indestructible2
[QUOTE="Indestructible2"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]no thye dont, but whenever i have had a problem with a company that doesnt cover overclocking i just simply said no that i was not overclocking and i haven gotten a replacement card back. Thats happened about 4 times with me and 3 of them were ATI and Sapphire. 9mmSpliff

Sorry I did get a replacement card. Just when they asked me if it has been overclocked I said nope. How can they find out anyways? SSJBen or LordEC might know if they can, specially SSJBen since he works at a store that sells parts and hes a hardware reviewer.

Didn't know what you meant,but yeah HOW are they gonna find out? :P
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makari
[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"][QUOTE="Indestructible2"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]no thye dont, but whenever i have had a problem with a company that doesnt cover overclocking i just simply said no that i was not overclocking and i haven gotten a replacement card back. Thats happened about 4 times with me and 3 of them were ATI and Sapphire. Indestructible2

Didn't know what you meant,but yeah HOW are they gonna find out? :P

They can if they ever bother to, but it's too much trouble to check every single card. More often than they'd care to admit, RMA departments don't even check the card you sent in before they send you a replacement. It's just dishonest on your end to do it. The reason I said BFG doesn't say they warranty it but do in practice is that I told them I had overclocked the card when I wanted it replaced, and they said it didn't matter and replaced mine.
jmaster299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 jmaster299
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts
Well, my x1950pro has the over clocking funtion in the Catlyst Control Center and it warns you before unlocking the function that faluires resulting from over clocking the stock settings are not covered by the warranty and you over clock at your own risk. You have to accept those terms before it will allow you to over clock through the Control Center and will not allow you to relock the settings later and logs the date and time of the unlock. If you over clock by some other means that ATI can't trace then you might be ok, but I read the warning straight from ATI in the Catlyst Control Center and they will not cover faluires from over clocking.