Divinity II is way better than Dragon Age : Origins

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 Revan_911
Member since 2007 • 1709 Posts

This is just my personal opinion of course but I've played enough RPG's to know the difference between an unpolished gem and an overblown ,very mediocre game. Here's my short comparison thread.

Graphics:

They are both not up to today's standards but Divinity has clearly the better graphics. Everything in Dragon Age looked bland and uninspired , while Divinity is lively and the varied environments look really good. Divinity has better graphics, it's not even debatable.

Storyline:

Well at least the Divinity II dev's didn't have their head up their ass. There was no reason to go trough that much pointless dialogue in DA, no reason at all. It's not Tolkien, the storyline was cliched and literally done to death. And the game actually came with a map, please a map of Ferelden. I wiped my ass with it. I'm not saying that Divinity's storyline is the epitome of originality but it had the decency to keep the dialogue short and witty, and the story simple.

Music:

Dragon Age has some good music, but Divinity has so many epic tracks. So im going to go with Divinity on this one if you played the game you will know what I'm talking about.

Gameplay :

Well the combat in DA was much more complex, but that doesn't make it better. I found the tactics slot useless. The party never acted the way i wanted it to. So playing on difficulty setting higher than easy is a real annoying because you have to pause every two seconds to give out commands which makes the combat a pain rather than fun. The combat in Divinity is kind of like a mix between hack and slash and deep rpg elements. It's more fun and more dynamic than Dragon Age. Bioware had nothing new to offer, it was the same system from BG, from KOTOR, from NWN, ect. Divinity at least tried to be original, in what other game can you kick ass as a giant dragon.

Dragon Age has better performance and it's more polished and Divinity crashed sometimes and has a lot of bugs. DA also has better character seleciton screen, more memorable characters and more faces. Yeah the lack of faces in divinity was disturbing, many npcs looked identical. But overall Divinity was a better experience for me. Agan just my opinion.

Zemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Zemus
Member since 2003 • 9304 Posts

This is just my personal opinion of course but I've played enough RPG's to know the difference between an unpolished gem and an overblown ,very mediocre game. Here's my short comparison thread.

Graphics:

They are both not up to today's standards but Divinity has clearly the better graphics. Everything in Dragon Age looked bland and uninspired , while Divinity is lively and the varied environments look really good. Divinity has better graphics, it's not even debatable.

Storyline:

Well at least the Divinity II dev's didn't have their head up their ass. There was no reason to go trough that much pointless dialogue in DA, no reason at all. It's not Tolkien, the storyline was cliched and literally done to death. And the game actually came with a map, please a map of Ferelden. I wiped my ass with it. I'm not saying that Divinity's storyline is the epitome of originality but it had the decency to keep the dialogue short and witty, and the story simple.

Music:

Dragon Age has some good music, but Divinity has so many epic tracks. So im going to go with Divinity on this one if you played the game you will know what I'm talking about.

Gameplay :

Well the combat in DA was much more complex, but that doesn't make it better. I found the tactics slot useless. The party never acted the way i wanted it to. So playing on difficulty setting higher than easy is a real annoying because you have to pause every two seconds to give out commands which makes the combat a pain rather than fun. The combat in Divinity is kind of like a mix between hack and slash and deep rpg elements. It's more fun and more dynamic than Dragon Age. Bioware had nothing new to offer, it was the same system from BG, from KOTOR, from NWN, ect. Divinity at least tried to be original, in what other game can you kick ass as a giant dragon.

Dragon Age has better performance and it's more polished and Divinity crashed sometimes and has a lot of bugs. DA also has better character seleciton screen, more memorable characters and more faces. Yeah the lack of faces in divinity was disturbing, many npcs looked identical. But overall Divinity was a better experience for me. Agan just my opinion.

Revan_911

As you said its your opinion.

Sounds like you play RPG's to kill things.

I play RPG's for the Storyline and Dialogue. Something Divinity II does terrible and to me makes it unplayable.

thats why we all have opinions.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

thats why we all have opinions.

Zemus
True. I play RPGs for Story and Gameplay.
chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts

True. I also play for story and dialgoue.

if i watned to go kill something why not play FPS, action or MMO, there are plenty to kill in those genre.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I really enjoy both games to be honest.

Id say Dragon Age is a 9.5 and Divinty2 is a 9/10.

I know alot of people are not that big on this Divinity2 game, but im having a blast with it. TONS of missions, good story, good gameplay, awesome music, good writing (story and dialogue) and its just fun to play.

Im surprised some are not enjoying the story. It starts off slow, but later on it picks up and gets very interesting.

The only thing that could be better in Divinity2 is the presentation imo.

Its wierd because I wasnt that stoked on the demo, but im having alot of fun with the full version.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

TONS of missions, good gameplay, awesome music and its just fun to play.

kozzy1234
I'm gonna have to try this. XD
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Divinity II is better than I thought it would be, but I still give the edge to Dragon Age.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GPAddict

I just noticed about Divinity II is that you can jump down for very high places and not take any damage.

Anyone else think its weird that it requires experience points to do things, like read minds???

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
Seems to me like you are comparing apples to oranges.
Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Revan_911
Member since 2007 • 1709 Posts
Not really, no. They are both role playing with similar setting. Why is one rated 9.5 while the other one 6.5? It seems like gamespot should be less biased when reviewing games. Look at the Witcher. Won countless awards, and gamespot only rated it 8. Why? Because it wasn't made by Bioware?
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
You're underestimating the importance of good story, dialogue and characters in an RPG. Diablo 2 isn't the gold standard for RPGs.
Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

Not really, no. They are both role playing with similar setting. Why is one rated 9.5 while the other one 6.5? It seems like gamespot should be less biased when reviewing games. Look at the Witcher. Won countless awards, and gamespot only rated it 8. Why? Because it wasn't made by Bioware? Revan_911

;

Exactly.

I'll go even further - Gamespot kept DA on the front page of this website for more than six months - before it was released.

After hyping it so much, they weren't about to give it less than a 9.

Bioware is trying to ride the wave of BGII and KOTOR, but they've gone way downhill since then, trying to appeal to the MTV crowd.

TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
You're underestimating the importance of good story, dialogue and characters in an RPG. Diablo 2 isn't the gold standard for RPGs.F1_2004
In the end the game just has to be fun, no matter what makes it fun. You can have a very fun game with no story at all.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

[QUOTE="Revan_911"]Not really, no. They are both role playing with similar setting. Why is one rated 9.5 while the other one 6.5? It seems like gamespot should be less biased when reviewing games. Look at the Witcher. Won countless awards, and gamespot only rated it 8. Why? Because it wasn't made by Bioware? Born_Lucky

;

Exactly.

I'll go even further - Gamespot kept DA on the front page of this website for more than six months - before it was released.

After hyping it so much, they weren't about to give it less than a 9.

Bioware is trying to ride the wave of BGII and KOTOR, but they've gone way downhill since then, trying to appeal to the MTV crowd.

Well the 360 version of divinity 2 probably blows chunks, pc games dont get much respect from the press sometimes. Divinity 2 feels like a pc game with a vanity 360 port, just like risen was.
teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

I wouldn't go that far as saying that Divinity 2 is "way" better than DA:O, but overall, I do think it's a tad better, and this coming from a party base CRPG lover.

DA:O is in the "serious" CRPG tradition (not the best by any means, but decent), and has party NPC interaction and banters, which Divinity doesn't have to have since it's a solo RPG.

however, Divinity 2 is indeed "way" superior in side quest design. and regualr NPCs are no less, if not more colorful than those in DA:O.

as for people who think Divinity 2 is all about killing things, don't mistaken the game as Action RPG, there are lots more grinding in DA:O than in Divinity 2.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kozzy1234

Dont be thrown off by the action rpg elements of the combat in this game.. Its got tons of rpg elements and imo has a good story, tons of awesome missions(some great side quests to) and great music.

Its a great time to be a RPG fan imo... Dragon Age came out not long ago, Divinity2 is tons of fun and Mass Effect2 later this month. Me personally? I like both Dragon Age and Divinity2 alot, both offer me FUN TIMES and are quite challenging.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
This thread is the equivelant of someone saying Serious Sam sucks because the story is terrible.
Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Short dialogue? identical faces? going to go buy Baldur's Now.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Divinity II: ego Draconis is a decent action-RPG, but I got extremally disappointed because it isn't nowhere near as good as Divine Divinity. Larian should have kept the isometric camera, the Diablo 2 gameplay and the Ultima-like object interaction. Also, there's only one small city in the entire game, the rest is combat, combat and combat.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Not really, no. They are both role playing with similar setting. Why is one rated 9.5 while the other one 6.5? It seems like gamespot should be less biased when reviewing games. Look at the Witcher. Won countless awards, and gamespot only rated it 8. Why? Because it wasn't made by Bioware? Revan_911

Or, imagine this for a second.....they actually only liiked it enough to give it an 8.

I know its crazy isnt it, not everyone rates games the way you want them, damn them.

dbpvivi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dbpvivi
Member since 2005 • 301 Posts

.... The party never acted the way i wanted it to. So playing on difficulty setting higher than easy is a real annoying because you have to pause every two seconds to give out commands which makes the combat a pain rather than fun......

Revan_911

What you mean to say you went through the whole game without pausing ??? wtf no wonder you had to play on easy. DAO was simply enough buy a 360 and game on that, stop ruining my games!!!!

rben21232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rben21232
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

This thread is now about The Witcher. Which in my OPINION is better than both of those games, as I have more fun with it =P

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Go look at GS rating for BGII, smart guy.
THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]You're underestimating the importance of good story, dialogue and characters in an RPG. Diablo 2 isn't the gold standard for RPGs.TerroRizing
In the end the game just has to be fun, no matter what makes it fun. You can have a very fun game with no story at all.

You're forgetting that this discussion includes RPG fans who wouldn't know a fun game if it hit them in the face.

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Wow hater much?

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kozzy1234

Anyone a big fan of both games? :P

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

not a fan of the difficulty level of divinity 2

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 F1_2004

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"][QUOTE="F1_2004"]You're underestimating the importance of good story, dialogue and characters in an RPG. Diablo 2 isn't the gold standard for RPGs.THA-TODD-BEAST

You're forgetting that this discussion includes RPG fans who wouldn't know a fun game if it hit them in the face.

This coming from an FPS fan who's on a constant Red Bull high and needs to continuously pop Ritalin just to keep his hand steady and brain focused long enough to aim a gun using the mouse. See what I did there :D
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kozzy1234

tony2077ca

just a heads up, there is a difficulty setting that you can change. My buddy didnt like the difficulty level either, changing it helped him alot.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

[QUOTE="tony2077ca"]

kozzy1234

just a heads up, there is a difficulty setting that you can change. My buddy didnt like the difficulty level either, changing it helped him alot.

i did change it still had a little trouble
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
It is like comparing a diamond with a dog turd imo. Dragon Age being the diamond.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GPAddict

It is like comparing a diamond with a dog turd imo. Dragon Age being the diamond. millerlight89

LOL

Divinity 2 is better than a dog turd.

Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

...Why? Because it wasn't made by Bioware? Revan_911

Hard to take you seriously when your name and picture are taken from a Bioware game.

On topic, I haven't played Divinity II yet but I've heard good things by word of mouth, and lots of hardware issues from reviews. I'll probably try it out after a price drop. Dragon Age however, was a no-brainer purchase with zero hardware issues, polished gameplay and yes, a rather bland (though still fleshed-out) storyline. Almost done my second playthrough.

As stated before, this whole topic is all opinion.

CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

As much l want to like all the new action-RPGs none of them delivered me the atmosphere of Diablo,Sacred and Divine Divinity

but Demons Souls.The best action-RPG of this genre with the best combat system l ve seen IMO.

I don't think its appropriate to compare an RPG to an action-RPG.

An action-RPG focuses more on looting,combat system and side quests while an RPG on story,dialogues and characters.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
I couldn't play Divine Divinity 2 because the jerky camera was nauseating. I don't know what it was, but something about that game I could tell I was going to get a headache looking at that for any length of time. Might be a good game, but I'm not going to bother.
THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"] In the end the game just has to be fun, no matter what makes it fun. You can have a very fun game with no story at all.F1_2004

This coming from an FPS fan who's on a constant Red Bull high and needs to continuously pop Ritalin just to keep his hand steady and brain focused long enough to aim a gun using the mouse. See what I did there :D

Not a bad description. ;) LOL

Avatar image for Game-over-death
Game-over-death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Game-over-death
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts

Anyone a big fan of both games? :P

kozzy1234
Back to what kozzy said tho, they are both good games... just with a different focus. Both are RPGs one focused back to the plan it all out, dive head on into the story what would be a traditional RPG the other was a bit newer, still had the baseline of an RPG, lots of story but focused a bit more on the action with some newer features
TJamesA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TJamesA
Member since 2007 • 570 Posts

I try not to let the rating of a Gamespot review sway my decision in what a better game may be, but in the case of one game (PC Version) getting a 9.5 and the other a 6.5, I have to agree that the 9.5 is just a better game hands down.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 F1_2004

Here's a gameplay video showing how bad Divinity 2 really is:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-divinity-2-ego-draconis/17-1861/

Sorry but that's not even comparable to Dragon Age, let alone "way better" lol

marc5477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 marc5477
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts

Graphics:

Storyline:

Music:

Gameplay :

Revan_911

If your only beef with DA was the tactics then I can tell you now that for whatever reason, you were not configuring them correctly and/or you had a bad combination of characters. For the most part, the tactics get you through 90% of the game without any need to touch the AI characters during combat. The only time I needed to adjust was during some sort of boss battle or when we got ambushed or surrounded but even then it wasnt a problem after we had leveled up a bit and gotten a hold of better gear.

The trick to DA is patience and agro/hate mitagation. The problem I see when watching my friend or brother playing it is that they panic too quickly and/or they are just too impatient and cant wait to go hit something as soon as it is on the screen.

bobivd68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bobivd68
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

*SPOILER WARNING* Read through most of the posts on this thread and couldn't help but post my own. I'm not about to say that DA is the best RPG out there. This is too much a matter of personal choice and what you really look for in a game. For me the best RPG is Icewind Dale 2, I'm absolutely sure many won't agree. But still Divinity II is a really disappointing game. I don't know maybe I had too high expectations but there isn't a single appealing thing in it for me. I'll strongly disagree about the graphics as I think DA looks much much better. Storyline should be no debate. There was hardly any of it in Divinity II and to top everything else we get the Prince of Persia 4 type of ending (all your efforts were for nothing). I have to agree the music is on a very good level but so is DA's, I'm sorry. The combat is probably Divinity II's most disappointing feature. You walk through 90% of the enemies with absolute ease until you reach a bunch of guys who are just too high-leveled for you to beat because this is the only way the creators of this game have found to create difficulty for players. And of couse Divinity's most original feature - the dragon form. A great idea which went very very wrong. The only reason why you can't fry everything that walks on the ground while you are in dragon form is that then you would be too powerful. That's a great reason for the designers of this game but as a player I need a better one. I just imagine my main character thinking "Oh what the Hell! Let's give them a chance to kill me and switch to human form instead of just vaporating the idiots while I'm safe up here.". To sum it up - for me Divinity II is a very original and cool project which needed at least three times more work on it than it has recieved. Dragon Age on the other hand simply sceams CLASS in your face. Every aspect of the game was given all the attention it needed to pretty much become perfect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

Game looks broken to me....

amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts

I just played both and Dragon Age is a better game.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kozzy1234

Ive had about 20 hours on the game now and its alot of fun and a good rpg.

I still think Dragon Age is the better game, but that doesnt mean Divinty2 isnt still a good game.

They both offer alot of things to rpg fans.

Dragon Age is more polished, better presentation and put together better, but Divinty has more missions and better leveling up imo. While both have good stories, music and gameplay imo though.

Divine Divinity is one of my all time favorite rpgs, so I wasnt expecting much from part2, as the sequels usually are never as good as the original, but Divinity2 still has surprised me, its alot of fun to play with TONS of missions.

Dragon Age = 9.5/10

Divinity2 = 8.5/10

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Im playing both right now and i can honestly say that Dragon Age origins is better. But do that make Divinity 2 bad? No divinity 2 is a great game.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Ehh, yeah combat in dragon age is more complex but in divinity its frustratingly harder!!!