This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skullcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Skullcraft
Member since 2006 • 4247 Posts
I had 11G space a week ago, but now I only have 5.6G. I deleted cookies, cleaned out all my old files about five times, and went to Add or Remove programs (they all add up to about 1G). Where did the rest of the space go?
storminormin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 storminormin
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts
My guess is that you (or someone else) put something on your hard drive...
kunnown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 kunnown
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts

Try what I do: if you have Windows XP, just go to your documents, and click on every folder. In the details, check how many GB it is taking. Track down the filler this way.

And I must suppose you haven´t downloaded something heavy lately, musn´t I?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
use windirstat to see what is taking up space?
Avatar image for deactivated-619e82479a2da
deactivated-619e82479a2da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-619e82479a2da
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts
you could see how much space temporary internet files and system restore points are taking up
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
So you haven't installed anything at all, or downloaded anything, or something like that? I can't imagine your HDD space just "disappearing" unless you have some HDD-sucking virus or something...
IceChipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IceChipmunk
Member since 2003 • 67 Posts

use windirstat to see what is taking up space?nutcrackr

This is probably your best option or any other disk usage tool for finding where all your space is being used.

skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skinnypete91
Member since 2006 • 6022 Posts
I suggest downloading, installing and running CCleaner. Its a great program for cleaning out temp. files and you will probably remove hundreds of meg if you have never run it before :)
Pell1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Pell1979
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts

Never assume the install files listed in Add/Remove are accurate. In some cases it'll only list the size of the executable file when the actual game/application in its entirety is 100x larger. You are better served checking your Program Files directory and manually checking the size of each folder from the Right-click | Properties.

Play alot of games? Some games have very large save files to store all the data required, especially older games where they never really optimised them so that they became larger in size the further you had progressed in the game (resulting in 100mb being used up per savegame slot). Depending upon the game these will be stored in the games directory or your Documents under your username.

Do you (or another user) use a Torrent program? They will automatically reserve the required space for the downloading file before it even starts to ensure you have enough space during the entire download. This is an easy way to eat up all your HDD space before you realise.

Oh and I know this is a simple one but does anybody else have access to your computer? In todays scheme of things losing 5 odd gig of space in a short space of time isn't that much when you take into account the sheer size of some application and game installs. Ask your friends/family.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Delete files in Temp folder.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Moved to the appropriate forum.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is System Restore. This can take up large amounts of HD space.

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
Try Spacemonger It's easier to identify large files using that interface than with windows explorer.