DirectX 10 False advertisements

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 moh_sakhaii
Member since 2003 • 856 Posts

In case you did'nt test DX10 VS DX9 I recommend you to see this
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/lost_planet_demo_directx_10_performance/

Facts:
 - Microsoft says DX10 runs about 6 times faster than DX9
 - Capcom says DX10 runs about 10 to 20 percent faster in lost planet than DX9
 - Performance results according to link above shows up to 16 percent decrease
    of performance in DX10 compared to DX9
 - Also DX9 under vista is slower than DX9 under XP(DX10:58fps vista_DX9:70fps
    xp_DX9:73fps)
 - This all cant be just driver issues
 - media files run pretty slower under vista and one of its reasons under media player
    is process mfpmp.exe than you can check how it sucks CPU power for yourself
 - What is not runnig slower under vista compared to XP,really? I got nothing.
 - Vista swallow more ram and more CPU overall for same tasks.
 - I have bought this peice a ... myself so dont bash me for that.
 - Microsoft just love our $$ or they could have given us windows Xp Service Pack 3.
 - for now Vista is more unstable than XP
 - there are more features in vista compared to xp and I'm not denying it but at
    what price??
 - Microsoft Please dont lie again over this vista thing.

I like to see others' comments about this embarrasment for Microsoft

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts

Facts:

moh_sakhaii

It runs 6 times faster using specific DX10 effects compared to if DX9 were to use those same effects.  

450tantrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 450tantrum
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts

...as soon as someone whos having a bad day sees this, the flaming will begin,

And first thing thats going to be said is DX10 IS NOT EVEN OFFICIALLY OUT YET. all there is is Betas and Demos.....correct?

So Microsoft is Innocent until proven guilty which maybe on June 26 when Lost Planet, the first official DX10 game releases

But hey nice work, you put that together pretty well, maybe you can throw that in M$'s face on June 26

Shadow-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shadow-Eagle
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts

Keep in mind its still a demo. Not the final product.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
the simple thing is...vista is still better than xp though...and all ur points show that.
Mithrandir0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mithrandir0x
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

Facts:
- media files run pretty slower under vista and one of its reasons under media player
- Microsoft just love our $$ or they could have given us windows Xp Service Pack 3.
what price??

moh_sakhaii

Ejem I'm not a M$ fanboy or something like that, but do you know how to program with a graphic API like DirectX or OpenGL?? 

450tantrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 450tantrum
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts

And when people will see, that this is NOT the "advancement" from its previous OS and they won't buy that OS money-wise, then microsoft will end its vacation work and do some serious work to bring up costumers.

Shegevara

I somewhat agree with that, i dont think Microsoft is TRUELY devoted to creating the Ultimate OS. With a Basic version for Consumers and Advanced version for Business and Enthusiasts

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gamerchris810

don't panic. Everyone knows microsoft is macroSH**T. I mean, tell me one OS that ran from that time current things faster with less hardware power than it's predecesor. From micro$$$oft, i can say without any doubt: NONE!

If people like to pay 100 and ofcourse more for an OS that is only a little bit better than the one before, that runs slower in the same conditions that the one before, that has few "make up" stuff and useless stuff, microsoft will do it over and over again. And when people will see, that this is NOT the "advancement" from its previous OS and they won't buy that OS money-wise, then microsoft will end its vacation work and do some serious work to bring up costumers.

Shegevara

u can actually get vista for around £60...;)

Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Shegevara
Member since 2005 • 2124 Posts
60 GBP = 117,71 USD
Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Shegevara
Member since 2005 • 2124 Posts
I don't say vista is useless at the whole time (just remember the XP was the same at the first appear) i just say vista will come on it's wasin about 1, more probably 2 years
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
[QUOTE="Shegevara"]

don't panic. Everyone knows microsoft is macroSH**T. I mean, tell me one OS that ran from that time current things faster with less hardware power than it's predecesor. From micro$$$oft, i can say without any doubt: NONE!

If people like to pay 100 and ofcourse more for an OS that is only a little bit better than the one before, that runs slower in the same conditions that the one before, that has few "make up" stuff and useless stuff, microsoft will do it over and over again. And when people will see, that this is NOT the "advancement" from its previous OS and they won't buy that OS money-wise, then microsoft will end its vacation work and do some serious work to bring up costumers.

gamerchris810

u can actually get vista for around £60...;)

Microsoft sent me a copy for free. ;)
mobius1aic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mobius1aic
Member since 2006 • 3533 Posts
If you want proof of how great DX10 shader capabilities are, just look a the 360.  No it's not technically DX10, however it still employs many DX10 shader programs with it's MEMEXPORT capability (360 basically runs what can basically be relatively named and concluded as a DirectX9.5 and shader model 3.5 of sorts). 
moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 moh_sakhaii

No they are the same effects the visuals are fairly similar but under diffrent APIs
ie DX10 and DX9 so it is slower period at least for now.

and audio is always problematic with vista too that I forgot to mention.

kingfiend138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kingfiend138
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts
i got vista ultimate for $45 from a vip pass to microsoft ecompany store and to tell you the truth i love not one bug glith or anything it seems like people who hate it dont have it and people who have it love it
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

the simple thing is...vista is still better than xp though...and all ur points show that.gamerchris810

Better in what way? As far as I'm concerned Vista does nothing for me which is the reason why I have not gotten it. In fact these "exclusives" like Lost Plane and Halo 2 are pure monopolizing peaces of crap. Microsoft can shove Vista where the sun don't shine. VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamerchris810

[QUOTE="gamerchris810"]the simple thing is...vista is still better than xp though...and all ur points show that.Unstoppable_1

Better in what way? As far as I'm concerned Vista does nothing for me which is the reason why I have not gotten it. In fact these "exclusives" like Lost Plane and Halo 2 are pure monopolizing peaces of crap. Microsoft can shove Vista where the sun don't shine. VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

your choice but i surpose u wont be able to play the latest games ;) kinda like a console..u need to upgrade.. 

red_shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 red_shock
Member since 2006 • 186 Posts
I'm an independent/commercial game developer and I thought I'd clear out the anger. DirectX 10 is based on hype way too much. Microsoft wants to advertise it as something bigger than life because guess what else they are trying to sell? Vista. They want you to believe you need DirectX 10 but no game is using it besides MS-kissers at the moment. Microsoft is just trying to sell their next operating system. DirectX 10 doesn't offer much and it shouldn't matter to a gamer/consumer. Just use what your favorite game recommends and you'll be happy. Aka they are all dx9 or opengl right now. Just understand that MS is advertising DirectX 10 which in effect is advertising Vista. DirectX 10 drivers are still hard to find, and Vista supports DirectX 9 internally too (it's what renders the screen and previous games). I have Vista and I like it, but I think Microsoft has no choice but to find e very possible way to advertise Vista and that right now sadly includes advertising DirectX 10. It does nothing for the consumer right now.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
I wish moderators would just clean these idiotic threads off the forum.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
I'd wait for a more notable pc developer brings out a game...Capcom is no doubt just gunna bring out a rushed port
red_shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 red_shock
I don't think that will clear up the misinformation.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Man, Lost Planet not running well obviously has NOTHING to do with it being a port, nor does it have anything to do with the fact the game wasn't built for DX10 nor did it use any performance enhancing features.
red_shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 red_shock

I talked to various developers on this issue. Either A) They are going to stick with Dx9 for several more years to get the majority of sales, or B) Go to OpenGL because Dx10 is narrowing the market potential for their titles. Believe me, even the king of 3d graphics (john carmack) has no care for Dx10 right now. It is the least cared-for API in DirectX's releases. MS wants you to care for some strange reason.. wonder why.. it just comes down to you being an idiot and have no idea why you need it other than someone tells you you have to have it now. You're a consumer, and Microsoft will get the $$$ out of your wallet to obtain a useless iteration of DirectX 10.

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

I wish moderators would just clean these idiotic threads off the forum.GodLovesDead

agree with him 

Samerzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Samerzz
Member since 2007 • 458 Posts

Facts:
    what price??

moh_sakhaii
Vista is DEF a CPU hog.
mobius1aic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mobius1aic
Member since 2006 • 3533 Posts
DX10 is great, Vista however, is not.  Yeah it's pretty, but so far it just bogs down systems.
t3h_MarK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 t3h_MarK
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts

I dont know where firingsqad got their DirectX 10 ino but it's eye popping wrong. In theory a game running a DX10 codepath should have less overhead for specific operation such as draws or bind. Overhead is simply the CPU giving the command the to its dedicated hardware. In no way way would you ever get 6X the performance just by reducing overheads. not even in the best of cases would get 50% more unless you have a really slow CPU. False advertisement, not really, hype and disinformation is more the case.

As far as Lost planet goes it's a very bad rushed example, it took what, less than a year. Lost planet for the PC is a publicity stunt by Nvidia. it only used minimal geometry shader and stream output. nothing on textures array and instancing.

The real eye candy will come with crysis and later.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

I dont know where firingsqad got their DirectX 10 ino but it's eye popping wrong. In theory a game running a DX10 codepath should have less overhead for specific operation such as draws or bind. Overhead is simply the CPU giving the command the to its dedicated hardware. In no way way would you ever get 6X the performance just by reducing overheads. not even in the best of cases would get 50% more unless you have a really slow CPU. False advertisement, not really, hype and disinformation is more the case.

t3h_MarK

Sorry, but no.  State changes have very real and very noticable overhead (sometimes even close to a 1-2 ms), since it not just code executed on the CPU and in fact changes the "State" of the GPU.   When engines get optimized, one of the most important optimizations is removing as many state changes as possible.  DX10 helps remove many of the state changes necessary under DX9, and allows for further performance enhancement through improved instancing and texture arrays.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts
@ TC

Why would you use a ported game that wasn't built for DX10 as your comparison/argument?  That doesn't make much sense to me - I think you're just grasping at straws.
moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moh_sakhaii

Microsoft didnt say just get the games that we approve for 6X performance gain and I dont think your ever gonna get that performance gain in future!!

BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
It's overrated and it has been since day 1.
moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 moh_sakhaii

That's what I'm talking about they just lied about the whole thing to sell vista and Microsoft will not create a better OS if they can always sell whatever they make so easily.

Avatar image for Giglioroninomic
Giglioroninomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Giglioroninomic
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts
Although Vista does suck up ridiculous resources I have to disagree. I'm running 64-bit ultimate and it literally uses 80% ram and CPU just idling, and god forbid you run a program such as itunes, with an actual 60gb library. However, despite all the unexplained software crashes (not many of them) every game has worked perfectly so far on Vista, just as stable as they did on XP Pro.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
For right now Vista isnt any good for gaming, in a year or two it will be better when all the DX10 games are made......better off stick with XP at this time anyway.
moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 moh_sakhaii

Although Vista does suck up ridiculous resources I have to disagree. I'm running 64-bit ultimate and it literally uses 80% ram and CPU just idling, and god forbid you run a program such as itunes, with an actual 60gb library. However, despite all the unexplained software crashes (not many of them) every game has worked perfectly so far on Vista, just as stable as they did on XP Pro. Giglioroninomic

Come on We are talking about 6x performance gain that they lied about DX10 gaming. plus DX9 gaming is pretty slower than xp. media files sure as hell are running with more cpu usage you cannot deny all this. if you play an old DX7 game you will see about 50% drop in performance that is not a joke at all.

r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts

[QUOTE="Giglioroninomic"]Although Vista does suck up ridiculous resources I have to disagree. I'm running 64-bit ultimate and it literally uses 80% ram and CPU just idling, and god forbid you run a program such as itunes, with an actual 60gb library. However, despite all the unexplained software crashes (not many of them) every game has worked perfectly so far on Vista, just as stable as they did on XP Pro. moh_sakhaii

Come on We are talking about 6x performance gain that they lied about DX10 gaming. plus DX9 gaming is pretty slower than xp. media files sure as hell are running with more cpu usage you cannot deny all this. if you play an old DX7 game you will see about 50% drop in performance that is not a joke at all.

no1 lied, just wait n c.