Difference in quality between front and back panel audio

This topic is locked from further discussion.

destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts

I have an Intel DH55TC motherboard with Realtek Audio. My case also has a front panel audio connector. Is there a difference in quality between the two? I'm looking into a pair of headphones that have a cable that can't reach the back of my PC.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#2 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

I have an Intel DH55TC motherboard with Realtek Audio. My case also has a front panel audio connector. Is there a difference in quality between the two? I'm looking into a pair of headphones that have a cable that can't reach the back of my PC.

destroyerHHH
The front-panel is connected to a motherboard audio header and should not be any different than plugging directly into the analog audio output on the rear of the machine. Happy gaming, Boz
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts
That's good to know. The thing is, when I plug it in the back, the software detects it and says that I plugged in a speaker/headphone. Not so in the front though. It still works but I was wondering if it was different. Thanks for the answer.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Ideally, the audio quality shouldn't be different. In practice, a lot of front-panel audio headers on computer cases introduce a lot of noise that wasn't present before. It's quite irritating and undesirable. Word is that it may be because they make the foolish decision of sharing the audio ground and USB ground.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

destroyerHHH

The only difference I can tell with some sound chipsets is if you use the front connector, you're limited to 2.1 using front or back. If you use only the back connectors (the front ports aren't physically connected) you get full 5.1 or 7.1. At least that's true with my motherboard. I'm not sure if that'll effect sound quality though.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

You could always get a jack extension cable if the front output gives you problems, you can pick them up for peanuts. You're not going to get great quality from onboard sound either way though.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I have an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard, and through front panel i get annoying buzzing/interference :(

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I have an ASUS Xonar DG soundcard, and through front panel i get annoying buzzing/interference :(

kraken2109

Some sound cards don't shield/ground the front panel connector as well as the main one in back.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

ChubbyGuy40

Some sound cards don't shield/ground the front panel connector as well as the main one in back.

Is there anything i can do about it or am i stuck with the back?
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bozanimal

Two things you can try, both of which involve opening the side of your PC case:

1. Make sure the front panel connecter is plugged directly into the sound card, not the motherboard.
  2. If it is plugged into the sound card, sometimes this is just a loose wire. Disconnect and reconnect the front-panel wire.

Good luck!

Boz

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109

Two things you can try, both of which involve opening the side of your PC case:

1. Make sure the front panel connecter is plugged directly into the sound card, not the motherboard.
  2. If it is plugged into the sound card, sometimes this is just a loose wire. Disconnect and reconnect the front-panel wire.

Good luck!

Boz

Bozanimal
I connected the front panel to the sound card when i installed it. I can't easily get to the front panel but i'll have a fiddle when i next open her up. I don't remember the buzzing when using integrated though.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
One suggestion I've heard is to unplug any USB or FireWire front-panel headers as well, leaving only audio connected. This is apparently because case manufacturers thought it was a great idea to make them all common ground when the audio ground should be isolated. I keep forgetting to try it out myself, but I value front-panel USB far more than front-panel audio jacks.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraken2109
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]One suggestion I've heard is to unplug any USB or FireWire front-panel headers as well, leaving only audio connected. This is apparently because case manufacturers thought it was a great idea to make them all common ground when the audio ground should be isolated. I keep forgetting to try it out myself, but I value front-panel USB far more than front-panel audio jacks.

Me too.
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bozanimal
Me too.kraken2109
You could just get a male to female 3.5mm extension cable. Any Radio Shack will stock them, but you can order them online, too. Run that from your rear panel output and it'll accomplish the same thing. ;) Boz
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]Me too.Bozanimal
You could just get a male to female 3.5mm extension cable. Any Radio Shack will stock them, but you can order them online, too. Run that from your rear panel output and it'll accomplish the same thing. ;) Boz

My headset cable is already way too long XD
Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bozanimal
My headset cable is already way too long XDkraken2109
The extension cable is just so you don't have to plug and unplug your headphones from the back of your case. Boz
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]My headset cable is already way too long XDBozanimal
The extension cable is just so you don't have to plug and unplug your headphones from the back of your case. Boz

I know. Just so much cable will get messy.
Avatar image for deactivated-606225387ec8d
deactivated-606225387ec8d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-606225387ec8d
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

If I may add a question to this thread,m if its not to old...

I have a completely opposite problem: my front panelaudio jackworks great. I use steelseries h7 headset and the sound quality is superb. In the rear jack I have 2.1 speakers which also work fine (i think - hence I have no alternative to try). However, when I plug the headset in the rear jack, the audio quality drops like 80%. I get the sound but it's just to quiet and no bass. What could be my problem? I would like to use my back panel jack for haedphones really bad, since my little ones (kids) seem to like pull on wires...:)

Spec: dell optiplex 745, w7 ultimate x64, soundMax integrated hd audio - system up to date, drivers also latest.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bozanimal

If I may add a question to this thread,m if its not to old...

I have a completely opposite problem: my front panelaudio jackworks great. I use steelseries h7 headset and the sound quality is superb. In the rear jack I have 2.1 speakers which also work fine (i think - hence I have no alternative to try). However, when I plug the headset in the rear jack, the audio quality drops like 80%. I get the sound but it's just to quiet and no bass. What could be my problem? I would like to use my back panel jack for haedphones really bad, since my little ones (kids) seem to like pull on wires...:)

Spec: dell optiplex 745, w7 ultimate x64, soundMax integrated hd audio - system up to date, drivers also latest.

bobbydoors
In the future, just create your own thread. The problem with bumping old threads is that users will start responding to the OP (original poster), which doesn't do you or anyone any good. To your question, have you plugged your 2.1 speakers into the front jack? If not, see if they increase in volume and/or quality to the same degree as your headphones. Happy gaming, Boz