Difference between gold plated plug and silver plated

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Eastdabest (652 posts) -

I had some sony earbuds and had a silver plated plug. Today i bought some skullcandys and the plug was gold plated. Is there any difference between the two?

#2 Posted by theragu40 (3332 posts) -
Gold is a better conductor of electricity than silver (or in the case of your headphones...probably some other metal such as nickel). Some would argue that you get a clearer signal by using gold connectors...but realistically unless you are listening to an extremely high fidelity audio source on an analog system, you are never going to notice the difference.
#3 Posted by swazidoughman (3521 posts) -

I had some sony earbuds and had a silver plated plug. Today i bought some skullcandys and the plug was gold plated. Is there any difference between the two?

Eastdabest

Gold is slightly better, but skullcandy sucks so you won't notice anything.

#4 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
Gold is a better conductor of electricity than silver (or in the case of your headphones...probably some other metal such as nickel). Some would argue that you get a clearer signal by using gold connectors...but realistically unless you are listening to an extremely high fidelity audio source on an analog system, you are never going to notice the difference.theragu40
Actually silver is the best: http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/electrical.html Gold is used to tip connectors as it doesn't corrode easily, any copper oxide or silver oxide would be a much worse conductor than gold even though in their pure forms they are better. TBH though it's just a marketing strategy these days as a lot of people think the product is high quality when it has gold plated connectors, when actually 99% of the time simple stainless steel would give the same quality output.
#5 Posted by Marfoo (5998 posts) -
[QUOTE="theragu40"]Gold is a better conductor of electricity than silver (or in the case of your headphones...probably some other metal such as nickel). Some would argue that you get a clearer signal by using gold connectors...but realistically unless you are listening to an extremely high fidelity audio source on an analog system, you are never going to notice the difference.markop2003
Actually silver is the best: http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/electrical.html Gold is used to tip connectors as it doesn't corrode easily, any copper oxide or silver oxide would be a much worse conductor than gold even though in their pure forms they are better. TBH though it's just a marketing strategy these days as a lot of people think the product is high quality when it has gold plated connectors, when actually 99% of the time simple stainless steel would give the same quality output.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Gold is usually used because it's a good conductor and is resilient. Silver is the best conductor though.
#6 Posted by harless (367 posts) -
Silver is a better conductor, but gold is normally used. The plating on the other headphones you had was not silver. most likely a nickel or equivelant plating.
#7 Posted by theragu40 (3332 posts) -
Ah. Well I stand corrected. I was mostly right, anyway :)