Difference Between DDR3 And GDDR3 ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Hashim19
#1 Posted by Hashim19 (1261 posts) -

I was searching and found that some cards are DDR3 and some are GDDR3 , so whats the difference ?

for example out of these which version is better ?

Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/DL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11210-00-20G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWHIOVW/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1K6674VCEPMPRDYGA76F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083462&pf_rd_i=507846

ASUS HD7790-DC2OC-1GD5 Radeon HD7790 1GB GDDR5 128-bit, DVI-I/DVI-D/ HDMI/DP PCI-Express 3.0 CrossFire ready Graphic Card OC-selected 1075MHz core

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZCXZ0E/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1K6674VCEPMPRDYGA76F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630083462&pf_rd_i=507846

Avatar image for EagleEyedOne
#2 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1675 posts) -

GDDR3 is built more towards graphics while DDR3 is not. GGDDR uses more power than DDR, so if power is your concern then you should choose DDR. What really matters is the number at the end.

Avatar image for Hashim19
#3 Posted by Hashim19 (1261 posts) -

@EagleEyedOne said:

GDDR3 is built more towards graphics while DDR3 is not. GGDDR uses more power than DDR, so if power is your concern then you should choose DDR. What really matters is the number at the end.

Power in what sense ? You mean PSU ?

Avatar image for EagleEyedOne
#4 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1675 posts) -

@Hashim19 said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

GDDR3 is built more towards graphics while DDR3 is not. GGDDR uses more power than DDR, so if power is your concern then you should choose DDR. What really matters is the number at the end.

Power in what sense ? You mean PSU ?

Power in regards to your entire system.

Avatar image for Hashim19
#5 Edited by Hashim19 (1261 posts) -

@EagleEyedOne said:

@Hashim19 said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

GDDR3 is built more towards graphics while DDR3 is not. GGDDR uses more power than DDR, so if power is your concern then you should choose DDR. What really matters is the number at the end.

Power in what sense ? You mean PSU ?

Power in regards to your entire system.

I will go for whats best for performance out of two .

Avatar image for EagleEyedOne
#6 Posted by EagleEyedOne (1675 posts) -

@Hashim19 said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

@Hashim19 said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

GDDR3 is built more towards graphics while DDR3 is not. GGDDR uses more power than DDR, so if power is your concern then you should choose DDR. What really matters is the number at the end.

Power in what sense ? You mean PSU ?

Power in regards to your entire system.

I will go for whats best for performance out of two .

Then GDDR3 is the one.

Avatar image for tabris91
#7 Posted by Tabris91 (7779 posts) -

Those are both GDDR5? Wut?

Avatar image for naz99
#8 Edited by naz99 (2817 posts) -

Ok so basically all graphics cards are mostly GDDR5 or they are super low end and use system memory (DDR3)

You want to know whether DDR3 (system memory) or GDDR3 (super out of date Graphics card memory) is better

The cards you listed say DDR5 (typo no doubt) and GDDR5

Confused anyone?

Both cards have exactly the same type of memory...both 1gb of GDDR5

Avatar image for mike4realz
#9 Posted by mike4realz (2577 posts) -

they're both GDDR5

Avatar image for Nibroc420
#10 Posted by Nibroc420 (13571 posts) -

@mike4realz said:

they're both GDDR5