Difference between C: and D: drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Potatoes002 (82 posts) -

Im new to this computer thing so bare with me. My computer is very low on memory (C: Drive) but I notice I have another drive (D: ) that has lots of memory avalible. Is there a difference between C: and D: ? Is it pretty much a back up drive? Should I switch files over to free up C: drive? Thanks for your help.

#2 Posted by jtschmitz (293 posts) -

Your hard drive is drive C: This is where your operating system and all of your programs are stored. Drive D: is generally your disc drive. I have never seen a drive that was not a cd given the name D:

The answer to your questions, unfortunately is no you will not be able to just move files over. I suggest: clicking start->control panel->Add or Remove Programs (for XP) and removing any program you no longer need.

With a burning program you would be able to burn data to your CD. But accessing it would be relatively slow, and you would not be able to copy any part of a program onto it and have it work properly.

#3 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24605 posts) -
If the files not tied to the registry (like music, pictures, movies) you can cut them over. You CANNOT throw over things like games, and programs.
#4 Posted by Marfoo (5998 posts) -
Uhhh what? The letter assigned to any kind of drive is arbitrary. Just because it's drive D: DOES NOT MAKE IT AN OPTICAL DRIVE. HDDs get the first letters, and the optical after that, and "removable media" after that. If you have a D: drive that has free space it's most likely a second HDD or another partition on the drive. How much space does it have free?
#5 Posted by Potatoes002 (82 posts) -

Ok I understand. I wasnt sure cause drive E: is my CD drive so I just assumed Drive D: (SYSTEM_SAV) was another drive.

#6 Posted by Marfoo (5998 posts) -

Ok I understand. I wasnt sure cause drive E: is my CD drive so I just assumed Drive D: (SYSTEM_SAV) was another drive.

Potatoes002
Oh okay, yeah, drive D: judging by the name you supplied "SYSTEM_SAV" is a recovery partition. Basically if your computer ever messes up, you can boot from that partition and it will reinstall Windows and all the original software. I wouldn't recommend saving anything to it.
#7 Posted by Potatoes002 (82 posts) -

Uhhh what? The letter assigned to any kind of drive is arbitrary. Just because it's drive D: DOES NOT MAKE IT AN OPTICAL DRIVE. HDDs get the first letters, and the optical after that, and "removable media" after that. If you have a D: drive that has free space it's most likely a second HDD or another partition on the drive. How much space does it have free?Marfoo

D: has 1.66GB out of 2.71GB left

C: has 49.2mb out of 25.2GB left

My computer is an old 2000, not much memory...:(

#8 Posted by Marfoo (5998 posts) -

[QUOTE="Marfoo"]Uhhh what? The letter assigned to any kind of drive is arbitrary. Just because it's drive D: DOES NOT MAKE IT AN OPTICAL DRIVE. HDDs get the first letters, and the optical after that, and "removable media" after that. If you have a D: drive that has free space it's most likely a second HDD or another partition on the drive. How much space does it have free?Potatoes002

Oh wow, you are are really low on space. HDD's are pretty cheap these days, I think 1TB (1000GB) is under $100.
#9 Posted by Potatoes002 (82 posts) -

[QUOTE="Potatoes002"]

Marfoo

Oh okay, yeah, drive D: judging by the name you supplied "SYSTEM_SAV" is a recovery partition. Basically if your computer ever messes up, you can boot from that partition and it will reinstall Windows and all the original software. I wouldn't recommend saving anything to it.

Ok ill just delete a bunch of files to free up memory than...

#10 Posted by Potatoes002 (82 posts) -

[QUOTE="Potatoes002"]

[QUOTE="Marfoo"]Uhhh what? The letter assigned to any kind of drive is arbitrary. Just because it's drive D: DOES NOT MAKE IT AN OPTICAL DRIVE. HDDs get the first letters, and the optical after that, and "removable media" after that. If you have a D: drive that has free space it's most likely a second HDD or another partition on the drive. How much space does it have free?Marfoo

Oh wow, you are are really low on space. HDD's are pretty cheap these days, I think 1TB (1000GB) is under $100.

Ya ill probably buy one, I just got a monitor and bought RAM for it but I still need a video card after a harddrive since the only videos that arnt choppy are youtube ones :(

#11 Posted by TerroRizing (3210 posts) -
[QUOTE="Potatoes002"]

[QUOTE="Marfoo"][QUOTE="Potatoes002"]

get an ide drive, people sometimes sell them super cheap and Im guessing your older pc uses that kind of drive.
#12 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24605 posts) -
[QUOTE="Potatoes002"]

[QUOTE="Marfoo"] Oh okay, yeah, drive D: judging by the name you supplied "SYSTEM_SAV" is a recovery partition. Basically if your computer ever messes up, you can boot from that partition and it will reinstall Windows and all the original software. I wouldn't recommend saving anything to it.TerroRizing

get an ide drive, people sometimes sell them super cheap and Im guessing your older pc uses that kind of drive.

Used hard drives? Ew...
#13 Posted by TerroRizing (3210 posts) -

[QUOTE="TerroRizing"][QUOTE="Potatoes002"]

JigglyWiggly_

Used hard drives? Ew...

lol.

#14 Posted by NotAFurry (6055 posts) -

D: is the second partition or a very old HDD that somehow got transfered to your computer during the build. Feel free to use it.

BTW, make sure to keep at least 500MB free space. I made this number up, but I myself generally make it a rule to keep 10% of the drive free. I works faster that way.

#15 Posted by GTR2addict (11863 posts) -

Your hard drive is drive C: This is where your operating system and all of your programs are stored. Drive D: is generally your disc drive. I have never seen a drive that was not a cd given the name D:

The answer to your questions, unfortunately is no you will not be able to just move files over. I suggest: clicking start->control panel->Add or Remove Programs (for XP) and removing any program you no longer need.

With a burning program you would be able to burn data to your CD. But accessing it would be relatively slow, and you would not be able to copy any part of a program onto it and have it work properly.

jtschmitz

my 500 gb hard drive is D, my 640 external is G: whats the problem?

#16 Posted by AnObscureName (2069 posts) -
That's like my hard-drive. It has a partition (I think that is what it is called). The first half is the main C drive and the D drive I just use for storage of music + films.
#17 Posted by Gog (16376 posts) -

[QUOTE="Marfoo"][QUOTE="Potatoes002"]

Potatoes002

Ya ill probably buy one, I just got a monitor and bought RAM for it but I still need a video card after a harddrive since the only videos that arnt choppy are youtube ones :(

Videos playback doesn't rely on the video card but on the CPU. A CPU from a 2000 PC won't be enough to play any type of semi-HD video, only low-res stuff. Well you really need a new PC after 9 years...