Did you have the biggest joystick in your group of friends???

#1 Posted by henrythefifth (2447 posts) -

In the good old days, joysticks were the norm in PC gaming.

I had four joysticks for Commodore 64, one for Amiga, and two ridic pricey flightsticks for PC.

Most of which are gone now, God knows where...

Anyways, how about you?

Did you have lot of joysticks when you were younger? And do you still got them around?

And what is your fave joystick of all time?

And, most importantly, did you have the biggest joystick in your group of friends?

I did, as I was the only serious gamer among my friends! Bragging rights!

My fave joystick of all time is the TAC-2 for Commodore 64. Pic below. Not very big, but it was very precise, and playing through games like Turrican were a joy with it.

#2 Posted by XVision84 (15933 posts) -

Okay henry

#3 Posted by xantufrog (11332 posts) -

I've got an older MS Sidewinder I still use for games like X-Wing. It's a no-frills model that my favorite DOS and early Windows flight games can recognize

#4 Posted by henrythefifth (2447 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

I've got an older MS Sidewinder I still use for games like X-Wing. It's a no-frills model that my favorite DOS and early Windows flight games can recognize

I think the reason I got rid of those PC flight sticks, is because they used the old controller port that for some reason was on the sound card on my gaming PC back then. Modern PCs no longer have that port.

In retrospect, I should've looked for some sort of plug in that allows old controllers to be connected via USB..

Back then PC had great space combat/exploration games. X wing alliance and suchlike. Loved playing them.

#5 Posted by npiet1 (2227 posts) -

I had a couple, the best one was for the nes for flight games.

#6 Posted by xantufrog (11332 posts) -

@henrythefifth: the one I have now is actually a USB 1.0 stick - old enough signals that old games can make sense of it through dosbox, but with a port available on my modern gaming rig.

#7 Posted by attirex (1586 posts) -

what she said, etc., etc.

#8 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43906 posts) -

I'm enjoying the hell out of my X-56 HOTAS setup. Playing Elite: Dangerous in VR with HOTAS is simply amazing. You get lost in that game. You really feel connected and "at one" with your ship. Don't even need to touch the keyboard.

I mean, FTL travel is still boring as hell, but at least it's immersively boring :P

DCS World is also fun with HOTAS....if I could learn how to fly one of the damn planes :D

@henrythefifth said:
@xantufrog said:

I think the reason I got rid of those PC flight sticks, is because they used the old controller port that for some reason was on the sound card on my gaming PC back then. Modern PCs no longer have that port.

In retrospect, I should've looked for some sort of plug in that allows old controllers to be connected via USB..

Back then PC had great space combat/exploration games. X wing alliance and suchlike. Loved playing them.

Hell yeah PC had great space and flight sims back then. When I was a kid, my dad actually enjoyed flight sims so we'd play together. We'd take turns fighting enemy aces in Aces of the Pacific.

We'd use one of the great Thrustmaster joysticks. Somewhere along the line 10-15 years ago they just started making absolute shit flightsticks for some reason. Unless you wanted to drop 300+ dollars on some HOTAS setup, you had to get some cheap plastic garbage it seemed like.

#9 Edited by henrythefifth (2447 posts) -

Tachyon the Fringe was my fave space combat game back then. Great game, great story, and it had Bruce Campbell do the voice acting.

Wing Commanders were awesome too.

Games like Elite Dangerous are just a shadow of those old greats.