Did anybody have control problems in Dead Space?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

The mouse controls in this game are incredibly unresponsive - and this is not a V-sync issue either. I've got V-sync turned off. I'm talking about the way that the mouse is set up in Dead Space.

When I'm walking forward, and I want to turn, I practically have to roll the mouse for about a half a mile just to make a 180 - and it's just as bad when I'm aiming with a weapon. If I'm standing still then the mouse movement works exactly like it would in any other game.

I find this to be incredibly frustrating.

The joke is that when I swapped the mouse for my 360 controller, I experienced the exact opposite problem. The camera moves too quickly. This is a frustrating game to get into.

foossilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 foossilo
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts

Ya, I find 3rd person shooters better on consoles. I just don't like mouse and keyboard for it.

AFraud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AFraud
Member since 2004 • 1500 Posts

This is a known issue with Dead Space. The keyboard and mouse controls are horribly sluggish, and there are some random, bizarre changes in sensitivity.

I had better luck when I plugged in my X360 controller. Unfortunately the game is just an incredibly lazy port. They put no effort into adapting the controls for PC. If you hadn't already bought it for PC I would have told you get to get one of the console versions instead.

Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Charles_Dickens

At another website called HardForum, I found a massive 24 page thread in which the PC controls for Dead Space were loudly criticized by hundreds of gamers (the thread dates from around the time of the game's launch).

But I had to shake my head in disgust at what one person wrote:

"Oh I see now. If the controls are really as bad as the reviews and users are claiming then they deserve to have the game pirated for being too lazy and/or cheap to properly implement pc controls."

Hmm. Where have we heard this argument advanced recently?

knight0151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 knight0151
Member since 2008 • 1205 Posts

It worked fine for me.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
for me it was vsync issue , after that it ran pretty nice
AFraud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 AFraud
Member since 2004 • 1500 Posts

for me it was vsync issue , after that it ran pretty nicenaval

I think that only worked for certain hardware configurations.

For me disabling vsync only fixed the mouse in the menu screens. It was still laggy in the game.

And my setup is by no means low end. The game runs fine otherwise, it just has horrid mouse lag.

Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Charles_Dickens

After weeks and weeks of discussion at the HardForum, the posters were able to confirm that the mouse movement has three different 'polling' speeds - one for when the character is stationary (this one feels normal), one for when the character is moving (this one is slow and unresponsive), and one for when the character is aiming (this one is even less responsive).

This is built into the game, by the way - so those of you who 'didn't notice it'... did you even play it on the PC?

EA also confirmed that this is exactly how the mouse functions in this game - I mean, how could anybody not notice it? It's just obvious, as soon as you start moving your character, that there's something horribly wrong there.

The only thing you can do is stop your character completely, and then turn him and aim him in the right direction, and then move forward. The controls are pathetic.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

i used the 360 controller it was fine

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
Yeah it's clunky and old fashioned, on purpose, to add scaryness since you can't keep spinning around checking for monsters behind your back, I blame RE4. It's the same on 360 controller, actually a bit worse if I recall, I thought the KB/M worked better in that game, you just gotta get used to it.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Charles_Dickens

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus - you just have to get used to it. I've never played a game that had 3 different polling speeds for the mouse though. It's just quirky.

siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

So many problems?I haven't faced any problems wit controls...

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
I just cranked the sensitivity on my Deathadder all the way up to make up for the sloooow controls.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Yea the controls take some getting used to. The most frustrating part for me was when one of those tentacles grab you and you have to pinpoint your gun while being pulled.

Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Charles_Dickens
I just cranked the sensitivity on my Deathadder all the way up to make up for the sloooow controls.General_X
That's exactly what I'm going to try doing tonight - cranking up the mouse sensitivity, not just in-game, but in the logitech control panel as well. :)
denter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 denter21
Member since 2003 • 1283 Posts
Keep in mind you will turn slower when moving and aiming, get in the habit of running, stopping then turning to aim, it's not meant to be a run and gun. That and a mouse sensitivity increase will help you out a lot.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Charles_Dickens

God the controls really are awkward with this game.

The 360 controller doesn't work well at all, because it's both too sensitive, AND too sluggish. I've never experienced that in a game before. You usually get the one or the other, but not the both!

I've finally gotten used to the mouse/keyboard controls (I think), but it wasn't easy. You really do have to adjust your mouse's sensitivity in the mouse menu before launching the game - and then you have to adjust the in-game mouse sensitivity as well. (You notch both sliders to the max, almost). And yes there really are three different polling speeds for the mouse - I can see that now - one for movement with the weapon holstered (sluggish), one for movement with the weapon drawn (incredibly sluggish!), and one for when the character is standing in place (this one is smooth).

You have to move forward, and then come to a full stop and swivel the camera in the direction in which you want to move. And then you go forward. You just can't move the way you normally would. It's just so damned awkward. Even after I was finished playing last night, I walked down the hallway in my home, and the motion felt jerky and awkward. LOL!

That said, nice graphics. Really sharp. I like the smoke effects, in particular. And the suit that the guy is wearing is nicely detailed. I maxed everything out and at 1680*1050 I must be way above 60FPS. Decent game so far.

How many hours, by the way?

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

[...] You have to move forward, and then come to a full stop and swivel the camera in the direction in which you want to move. And then you go forward. You just can't move the way you normally would. It's just so damned awkward. Charles_Dickens

Indeed. The (antiquated) control scheme is standard fare for just about every Survival Horror game I've played, or tried to play. I hate it!! :evil:

Btw - this 'issue' is the sole reason why Dead Space has been sitting on my shelf, unopened, for at least eight months.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
I just used a controller. End of problems.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

This is a known issue with Dead Space. The keyboard and mouse controls are horribly sluggish, and there are some random, bizarre changes in sensitivity.

I had better luck when I plugged in my X360 controller. Unfortunately the game is just an incredibly lazy port. They put no effort into adapting the controls for PC. If you hadn't already bought it for PC I would have told you get to get one of the console versions instead.

AFraud
Or you could just buy the PC version and get better visuals and just plug in a controller to get rid of control problems. I don't see why you would spend extra for less.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I have absolutely no problem with the Controls, haven't changed a thing in options about the controls either so I don't see why people are complaining.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Charles_Dickens

But I can see why people raved about this game back when it was originally released. It was pretty much an unknown quantity right? (Much like Arkham Asylum has been this year.) People tend to boost a game for that reason.

Right away, from the very first second of the opening cinematic, I could tell that this is a quality game. Aside from the controls, which suck, I'm impressed.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
I never found it as a problem. I did notice that I obviously cannot flip 180 deg as fast as I can as in FPS games but I always felt that they did that on purpose, to increase the tension when you are facing combat situations. And tbh, I enjoyed the game a lot more for it.
attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2466 Posts

There's an .ini file in which you can edit the mouse speed settings. I did that, and worked fine for me. No, DS doesn't control like your typical FPS, but that was the intent of the game--it's not a twitch-fest. Your character is an ENGINEEER in a heavy utilitarian suit. He is NOT an uberomgwtfzomggg space marine who blows up everything in three seconds while flexing rock-hard abs and clenching lantern jaw. As such, the engineer's movements are more methodical. This lends to the OMGWTF MUTaNTZ GONNA GET ME atmosphere of the game. Whether or not this was wholly successful, I'll leave to someone else to debate.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#26 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Make sure you force V-Sync off in your graphics driver control panel. That fixes the mouse lag issue.

artistry_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 artistry_
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

keyboard and mouse worked flawlessy for me !! Excellent game :D

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Yeah, I found it annoying, but I got used to it. I think the aiming mouse speed is ok, but the stationary or movement feel very sluggish -even with V-sync off and sensitivity adjusted. But what I found most annoying is that the game couldn't detect my EA certified Logitech Rumblepad 2. :S
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Charles_Dickens

Aw this game is going to cause me to have a heat attack - I think I might have to play it during the daytime on the weekends. It's just too much.