DICE: removing BF3 colour grading is too colourful, threatens with perm ban

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

1349213395486rfpjx.png

Now take a look at the video. The original Wake Island is especially ridiculous, I mean what the f*ck is that?...

#2 Posted by XaosII (16705 posts) -

Unfortunaely, i can't blame DICE for banning people who use this mod. Theres no real way to know whether these moifications are benign (which is is for this mod) or there a mod that can be used to gain a fair advantage (i.e. brightly color only player models).

So they'll have to be heavy handed on their policy :(

#3 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

I can't remember the source or confirm, but I remember seeing something where this also edits other non-color game variables, like bullet speed, drop, etc.

#4 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8195 posts) -

Wow EA/Dice can go to hell for this. I won't be spending another penny on their bf games in the future.

#5 Posted by Wasdie (53456 posts) -

Changing the color grading will make enemy players more visible giving you an advantage. Other injector mods cut down on the sun glare which gives an advantage.

It sucks, and DICE better be listening to people and see the mods people are making to get around their terrible color filters, but it is a large enough advantage to be unfair.

Mods like this could also add in client-side gameplay bonuses.

It's childish to not think it through and just make stupid accusations.

#6 Posted by mstrchf12 (246 posts) -

Wow EA/Dice can go to hell for this. I won't be spending another penny on their bf games in the future.

Bikouchu35
It's not a big deal. They're only discouraging the hack because it can be used to find some exploit in the multiplayer. Like they care if everyone makes their single player more colourful.
#7 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

I think the color grading actually looks like total ****. I can't believe people think this looks good for this game.

#8 Posted by gameofthering (11096 posts) -

Looks far better with colour.

#9 Posted by Nick3306 (3330 posts) -

Bikouchu35
I really hope you are being sarcastic.
#10 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6427 posts) -
Amazing how one effect can have such an impact on how the game looks I don't understand why dice doesn't just make it a graphical option so those who want to turn it off can. And I might be in the minority but I generally prefer how the games looks with color grading on it looks more advanced graphically to me and don't mind the desaturated colors just my personal preference although If I we could adjust the level I probably wouldn't mind toning it down a bit but not totally off.
#11 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -

Bikouchu35
Over react much....?
#12 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11611 posts) -
The game looks better with out that stupid blue and gray filter. :( I want it to look colorful. :(
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
#13 Posted by deactivated-57e5de5e137a4 (12929 posts) -
I like it better colorful, but it's obvious why they would ban people for it.
#14 Posted by mrbojangles25 (39138 posts) -

I get where people are coming from, but I think you're missing the point.

Video games are about enhanced reality, altering realism, artistic expression, and more, in many cases. Is the filtering excessive and does it muddle things down? Relative to what? DICE had a vision, and treating the visuals in this manner obviously helped them achieve that vision (even if it might diminish ours in-game :P )

#16 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Or........DICE could just change it themselves so that it applies to everyone that plays the game. That way no one can "cheat" using their own color grading mod. OH WELL! >.>
#17 Posted by mitu123 (155184 posts) -

Looks far better with colour.

gameofthering
I agree, brings the game to life!
#18 Posted by Papadrach (1965 posts) -

Now only problem from here is: where the hell do i change these settings lol

#19 Posted by the_bi99man (11242 posts) -

Now take a look at the video. The original Wake Island is especially ridiculous, I mean what the f*ck is that?...

Baranga

Holy crap that looks so much better.

#20 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4988 posts) -
Or........DICE could just change it themselves so that it applies to everyone that plays the game. That way no one can "cheat" using their own color grading mod. OH WELL! >.>Elann2008
They obviously like how it looks now, so why would they change it?
#21 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

I think the color grading actually looks like total ****. I can't believe people think this looks good for this game.

JangoWuzHere

I completely agree. The sky and water are the only things that truely look better imo. They went too far when trying to fix everything else. A happy medium would have been much better.

#22 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
I like how the colour grading makes it look more colourful (personally) but DICE wants it to look bleak and brown like it was originally, to make it look like war. Do you guys really think War looks colourful and bright? They are just going for realism.
#23 Posted by mitu123 (155184 posts) -

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

slimjimbadboy

I completely agree. The sky and water are the only things that truely look better imo. They went too far when trying to fix everything else. A happy medium would have been much better.

I disagree with both of you, the game looks more like BF2 with color grading and seeing how it's suppose to be the real deal to that game it makes sense, not to mention since when has real life ever had blue and gray shading at all time?

#24 Posted by mitu123 (155184 posts) -

Do you guys really think War looks colourful and bright?FelipeInside
The Pacific War was colorful and bright.

#25 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -

The Armored Kill maps are much more colorful. Whoever did the color design got the message, but EA/DICE likely don't want to waste time/money adjusting the preexisting maps. Not that the AK maps are without flaws, half the AK maps don't any AT emplacements, 1 map has a single AT emplacement, and the last one has 5 AT emplacements; someone was clearly sleeping on the job.

Anyways, a proper color scheme doesn't fix the that the game is more frustrating than it is enjoyable.

#26 Posted by Planeforger (17311 posts) -
Do you guys really think War looks colourful and bright? They are just going for realism.FelipeInside
Does being outside during the day look colourful and bright?
#27 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4988 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Do you guys really think War looks colourful and bright? They are just going for realism.Planeforger

Depends on if it's sunny or not. :P
#28 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Do you guys really think War looks colourful and bright? They are just going for realism.Planeforger

I was referring to that normally during a war, there is a lot of smoke, fire and destruction. The orignal colour palette of BF3 brings that across....the go-happy colourful doesn't as much.
#29 Posted by Planeforger (17311 posts) -
[QUOTE="Planeforger"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Do you guys really think War looks colourful and bright? They are just going for realism.Toxic-Seahorse

Very true. All I meant was that the presence of gunfire does not mysteriously drain the colour out of the surrounding countryside. What he was suggesting is very far from realism. Society in general seems to have this weird notion that if it doesn't look like a dramatic Saving Private Ryan-esque monotone depiction of war, then it isn't a real-looking war...which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since they're judging how real something is by reference to other dramatised things that aren't real. Very Baudrillard! /ramble
#30 Posted by blangenakker (3240 posts) -
Looks much better, thought the blue/grayness would be understandable if it wasa cloudy day
#31 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
[QUOTE="Planeforger"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="Planeforger"] Does being outside during the day look colourful and bright?

Very true. All I meant was that the presence of gunfire does not mysteriously drain the colour out of the surrounding countryside. What he was suggesting is very far from realism. Society in general seems to have this weird notion that if it doesn't look like a dramatic Saving Private Ryan-esque monotone depiction of war, then it isn't a real-looking war...which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since they're judging how real something is by reference to other dramatised things that aren't real. Very Baudrillard! /ramble

Way to read too much into something. Did you even read my whole post? I said that in war there would be lots of smoke, fire, destruction.... which would make everything look at bit more brownish or darker/sadder looking. That's why I think they went for that colour palette. It also depends on the map; for example in Close Quarters the maps have more colour because they are located inside buildings.
#32 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8195 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

FelipeInside

Over react much....?

No wai, go read battlelog forum their is pool of complaints, and I grew tired of what they are doing to the game if you spent good amount of hours into it than you would know. This isn't a be all ends all if any of you were keeping track of bf3 progress and complaints than you would see the game is a bit of a mess. This is more of a tipping for me for the many factors that steers me away from Ea/dice much like Activison & cod.

Ex. Constant nerfing and buffing weapons when they are not op/weak to begin with, even if they were players should just adjust. No tools for modders, no custom skins, and now no custom color gradient. It may not sound like a big deal for those who don't play or maybe you are easy to please, but Im not in this case. Poorly timed pricing schemes, they released Premium with only 1 dlc, but with 5 dlc promised ofc., but they had already slashed the price to almost half for late adopters screwing over the people that came first. Which brings me to the next point about segregating players with Prem/Dlc, a lot of servers are blocked if you don't own them, which is fine if they let you play the maps within your bought game/dlc, but you are actually blocked from the server b.c they cycle dlc maps that you don't have. This is pretty much a money making strategy to encourage you to buy the dlc.

Glitches that take ages to fix and some are still present since the beginning... "balancing" the game seems to be more important. That's my opinion. Oh yeah ps3 users get a head start with dlc over pc.

#33 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
^^ All those points may be valid, you just came across that you were quitting cause of the colour thing. As for PS3 users getting a head start though, who cares? we don't play with console people anyway.
#34 Posted by mitu123 (155184 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Bikouchu35

Over react much....?

No wai, go read battlelog forum their is pool of complaints, and I grew tired of what they are doing to the game if you spent good amount of hours into it than you would know. This isn't a be all ends all if any of you were keeping track of bf3 progress and complaints than you would see the game is a bit of a mess. This is more of a tipping for me for the many factors that steers me away from Ea/dice much like Activison & cod.

Ex. Constant nerfing and buffing weapons when they are not op/weak to begin with, even if they were players should just adjust. No tools for modders, no custom skins, and now no custom color gradient. It may not sound like a big deal for those who don't play or maybe you are easy to please, but Im not in this case. Poorly timed pricing schemes, they released Premium with only 1 dlc, but with 5 dlc promised ofc., but they had already slashed the price to almost half for late adopters screwing over the people that came first. Which brings me to the next point about segregating players with Prem/Dlc, a lot of servers are blocked if you don't own them, which is fine if they let you play the maps within your bought game/dlc, but you are actually blocked from the server b.c they cycle dlc maps that you don't have. This is pretty much a money making strategy to encourage you to buy the dlc.

Glitches that take ages to fix and some are still present since the beginning... "balancing" the game seems to be more important. That's my opinion. Oh yeah ps3 users get a head start with dlc over pc.

Very well said man.
#35 Posted by nutcrackr (13029 posts) -
I prefer less filters, less post processing in general but I really don't think BF3 looks that bad with the tint and sun. Some of those modified shots look way too saturated to me The BF3 hate, colour tinting or otherwise, is nothing new. It's like there is some secret prize for hating on BF3. I hope the prize is good because many have dozens of entries.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
#36 Posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI (1508 posts) -
Wow, I never realized how bad the color filtering was until i saw that video. The mod looks great
#37 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

mitu123

I disagree with both of you, the game looks more like BF2 with color grading and seeing how it's suppose to be the real deal to that game it makes sense, not to mention since when has real life ever had blue and gray shading at all time?

I have no love for Battlefield 2, so I could careless if it looked more it. I think the color grading makes a lot of the effects and environment look really bad. The trees and vegetation all look completely out of place, the maps all look waaaay more brown now, buildings and objects don't blend well together in certain spots, and some lighting looks terrible now because everything is far more bright and colorful.

I don't come into games looking for realistic graphics. I enjoy the tinted coloring on the maps, it gives them a a nice unique look. I think Metro looks simply awful with the color grading. It completely destroys the look of that map.

#38 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24599 posts) -
there's an obv reason all the blacks are crushed and a blue hue it hides all the texture imperfections quite well
#39 Posted by Ragingbear505 (819 posts) -

Vanilla BF3 looks like someone forgot to white balance and left the ND filter on. It works for Hollywood films that want to make a scene more dramatic, but for actually capturing an event its pretty ridiculous looking. Watch any war footage and you'll see that even in the middle of battle real life looks nothing like a movie. Take Wake Island in real life for example, it's got some pretty gorgeous bright blue water, and some pretty scenic locations on the island itself. Yet a pretty intense battle was fought there. One of the striking things about war is that it isn't always fought on dusty battlefields and crumbling cities. Pretty amazing places are touched by it and get destroyed, and that to me makes a more dramatic scene than a color filter. Of course Battlefield 3 is a game and other than the hardware used bears almost no resemblance to actual warfare in any way so being butthurt about the colors seems a little silly to me personally.

#40 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

I actually think it looks worse without color grading. THe main problem is that many areas of the game look oversaturated, and the tree's seem to have very flat lighting without the color grading. In all honesty I think the color grading is there to hide all the ugly. these things aren't as apparent in more natural levels, but in city like levels it becomes very apparent and ugly. It's a nasty trick on dice's part instead of actually trying to put some decent art direction in the game, but its better than nothing imo.

#41 Posted by TrooperManaic (3863 posts) -

this is why they should have left the servers to be run by the players.

#42 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Of course they'd ban, puts their art department to shame, as if BF 3 doesn't have enough problems with their own discrepancies that make players way more visible than they should in certain situations.

Darned video...made me want to install this trash again, I wonder how much worse it got after the last several patches.

#43 Posted by Ondoval (3103 posts) -

DICE isn't very good at banning cheaters in BF3, to be fair... And BF3, despite the potential of the Frostbite 2 engine, has several issues in the artistic department (boring color palette, irreal lens flares effects, irreal blinding effects, low poly wireframe in weapons...). The game is a mixed bag for me and still can decide if I love it or I hate it. Probably both.

#44 Posted by Karpola (67 posts) -

The Battlefield 3 default looks way better than those cartoony colors.

#45 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

Karpola

Don't go outside of your gray basement if you think that is "cartoony", you might have a mental breakdown, despite what your kind of people might think (those with warped perception) real life actually has colors, bright, vivid ones, games being gray and oversaturated "trying" to look more realistic doesn't mean the "outside world" is actually like that, enjoy the sun.

#46 Posted by R4gn4r0k (26934 posts) -

I'm sorry but what is it too colorful compared to ? To real life ? Nope the game looks closer to real life with those unrealistic filters turned off.

Changing the color grading will make enemy players more visible giving you an advantage. Other injector mods cut down on the sun glare which gives an advantage.

It sucks, and DICE better be listening to people and see the mods people are making to get around their terrible color filters, but it is a large enough advantage to be unfair.

Mods like this could also add in client-side gameplay bonuses.

It's childish to not think it through and just make stupid accusations.

Wasdie

I really hope they remove the filters for everyone, or at least remove them in BF4. So no one would have an advantage

#47 Posted by Ondoval (3103 posts) -

Karpola

The BF3 default color grading destroys the advanced features of the powerful global ilumination system present in Frostbite 2. Look at how the bounces of the colored light beams from neons in Karkand or the clothes in the bazar corridor are almost absent in the vanilla game. They did a great job engineering a state of the art global illumination system and then an idiot from the art department ruined the work sliding the color grading barr.

Edit: someone in Crytek did the same crap in Crysis 2, almost turning the game -specially in the multiplayer- into a monochrome greenish/blueish postal. And the same with Metal Gear Solid 4. Seems pretty evident that even reputed developers can handle color grading properly.

#48 Posted by Kjranu (1743 posts) -
The way DICE designed the color filters in BF3 is desinged to set a certain mood. I think it's great and to change it is just stupid. Not to mention certain exploits such as coloring players or bullets excessively to make them more visible is a dangerous exploit so bans are reasonable in this case.
#49 Posted by FelipeInside (28482 posts) -
Do people honestly think BF3 looks BAD? Like C'mon, it looks great.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
#50 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4738 posts) -

Dice's art team are a bunch of hacks who think copying Saving private ryan makes the game look good, screw them.