Diablo III worth getting into now?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Hello. I can get Diablo III and the expansion from a website super cheap atm. Is it worth the effort of downloading and buying or is the hate level for this game still very high? I hear the expansion sorted shit out, or something.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I never hated the game... I liked Diablo 3 at launch "when it worked". I just like it a lot more now because the loot system is more rewarding and the new ACT is easily the best one. So short and simple answers is yes its worth it.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I liked it before, but the AH was a sore. After the the latest update it made it much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

if you can get it for cheap, then why not. i personally regret pre-ordering it with full price.

main reason why i didn't like it; you need to grind the same game over 2-3 times before you get to the real challenges (higher difficulty levels). by then you have played through the same areas and same monsters already atleast twice, so it felt really repetitive.

oh, and the main reason for the hate after launch was the fact that servers were so often down, and people weren't able to play it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

Thank you for the help. Does the game have UI scaling options? From the screenshots it's look far too small to read.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Sadly, no....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uninspiredcup

You'd think a big billiondollar company like Blizzard would have the resources to put in basic accessibility options.

Torchlight II does it.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

You'd think a big billiondollar company like Blizzard would have the resources to put in basic accessibility options.

Torchlight II does it.

Curious, where is it on sale, I was interested in picking up the game too.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Dunno, you can get Diablo 3 real cheap via G2A, unless you're really want the expansion then you should get both via battlenet

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

The game is miles better now than when it first launched. I gave up playing it and recently got back into it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@PredatorRules said:

Dunno, you can get Diablo 3 real cheap via G2A, unless you're really want the expansion then you should get both via battlenet

I get my digital games from "digital dragon". Really great service, I get my key within 20 minutes usually. Picked up Dark Souls 2 for almost half the price of the listed steam one, with the preorder content.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

I can understand why people are pissed off. Having played it (less than 3 hours)

the game has disconnected 5 times. I'v had my character go from level 5 to level 1. And now level 7 down to level 4. Since I want to play solo, no fucking reason in the world I should be getting shit. **** you blizzard.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I can understand why people are pissed off. Having played it (less than 3 hours)

the game has disconnected 5 times. I'v had my character go from level 5 to level 1. And now level 7 down to level 4. Since I want to play solo, no fucking reason in the world I should be getting shit. **** you blizzard.

Always-on wouldn't be a problem if the game servers were actually always on. They crash way too often for it to work properly. The technology/cost ratio just isn't there yet.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Cwagmire21 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Always-on wouldn't be a problem if the game servers were actually always on. They crash way too often for it to work properly. The technology/cost ratio just isn't there yet.

Am I and all my friends lucky then?

I've never had a crash and never had all those weird things happen to me, and I'm in Australia where ping is always a problem (although they have local servers now).

Only issue I've had with servers was at launch but that was everyone.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Does the PC version have Local Co-op yet ? If not then I wouldn't reccomend it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Does the PC version have Local Co-op yet ? If not then I wouldn't reccomend it.

You mean LAN?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

Nope !

I mean 4 controllers and a single screen.

LAN always felt like Neutered Online to me. Even if the other person is only sitting 5ft way from you.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Nope !

I mean 4 controllers and a single screen.

LAN always felt like Neutered Online to me. Even if the other person is only sitting 5ft way from you.

I think it does on consoles.

But on PC everyone plays KB/Mouse.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

its good if the option is there.

Anyway I never quite understood why someone would still prefer mouse and keyboard in a non-shooter. Controller should be the better option.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

@Lulu_Lulu said:

its good if the option is there.

Anyway I never quite understood why someone would still prefer mouse and keyboard in a non-shooter. Controller should be the better option.

I don't find controller better for Diablo at all. The combination of the hotkeys on the keyboard, together with the speed of the mouse makes me able to do things faster and more efficient in high tense battles.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

I think Hotkeys are just an indicator of badly designed control scheme (maybe even gameplay) nothing should be so complicated that it requires more than 8 buttons. Theres a certain threshold were the game's complexity gets higher but the depth remains the same. I always appreciated ol'Pete for making Black & White so Accessible it could be played with just the mouse... Intuitively.

Complexity for Complexity's sake is just annoying.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I think Hotkeys are just an indicator of badly designed control scheme (maybe even gameplay) nothing should be so complicated that it requires more than 8 buttons.

I hope you never play a flying simulator then...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

I did... Way back in 2005 with my side winder joystick.

Problem with simulators is they are not really games.... They're simulators, ironically I bet flying an actual plane (a normal plane not a jumbo jet) is way easier. I'l get my license one day. :p

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

For sure. The game was already fun and is even more so with the patch and the expansion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I did... Way back in 2005 with my side winder joystick.

Problem with simulators is they are not really games.... They're simulators, ironically I bet flying an actual plane (a normal plane not a jumbo jet) is way easier. I'l get my license one day. :p

As someone who actively played DCS, I think you are very much wrong my friend. With built in campaigns, challenges, multiplayer and realism options, it is more than a training simulator. Indeed, the engine is specifically modified from a training simulator to add game mechanics.

The whole hot-key argument I disagree with as well. Totally. PC's aren't consoles. Because of the very different control scheme it allows for far more sophisticated games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

DCS ? Dungeon Crawlers ?

Anyway as I mentioned before theres a certain threshold where depth stops and you're just piling on complexity for complexity's sake. I definately add Hotkeys to that, I remember back in the day when games would use the entire number keys and half the function keys in its controls, I think a developer has seriously screwed up if 50% of the control scheme is just short cuts.

Personally I believe keyboards are best for Typing words and Mouse is only good for pin point accuracy and navigating cluttered menus. I believe if a game is infact better on mouse and keyboard its because it wasn't designed properly. Controllers were just made for gaming, they should be better by default. Or maybe I'm the only who thinks something is weird about a typing device being better for games than an actual device designed for gaming.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 uninspiredcup

The monk class is pretty cool I must say. Way better than any of the classes in Torchlight 2.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Yeah scoop it up, OP.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

DCS ? Dungeon Crawlers ?

Anyway as I mentioned before theres a certain threshold where depth stops and you're just piling on complexity for complexity's sake. I definately add Hotkeys to that, I remember back in the day when games would use the entire number keys and half the function keys in its controls, I think a developer has seriously screwed up if 50% of the control scheme is just short cuts.

Personally I believe keyboards are best for Typing words and Mouse is only good for pin point accuracy and navigating cluttered menus. I believe if a game is infact better on mouse and keyboard its because it wasn't designed properly. Controllers were just made for gaming, they should be better by default. Or maybe I'm the only who thinks something is weird about a typing device being better for games than an actual device designed for gaming.

DCS stands for Digital Combat Sim......

Gotta disagree with your view on game controls. Consider the RTS game. Hotkeys for different groups are essential for assigning commands quickly. Games differ too much to have one specific input style. MMOs, hotkeys. FPS, hotkeys. Hotkeys all day. They're great. Why would you take two or more actions when you could accomplish the same task with a hotkey. There's not really anything complex about more available keys and you can often do things 'the long way' if you don't want to remember which keys to press.

Diablo 3 with a controller is good until you have to use the menus. I played it on PS3 and the menus were horrible, not because they were poorly designed, they were just limited by the controller's capabilities. There is way too much menuing in D3 to ever play it on console for me.

Controllers are good for JRPGs, Platforming and various action games like Zelda. Any other games I would prefer a Keyboard and mouse; and yes for typing words they're pretty good too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

@sataricon said:

I know this may be late but no man don't get this POS game you'll regret it.

I spend every day all week playing it. It was great. One of the best games I have played in quite a while. Having spend about 9 hours in Path Of Exile, I can understand the arguments about depth and character building. It is far more interesting than simply unlocked a set of predefined skills. However, story, pacing, level design and monster design in Diablo 3 are better imo. Some of the outdoor environments in POE are just plain shit while the dungeons are awesome.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

@sataricon said:

Unless you want to only play the new act and that's it....if not then don't get.

Itemization is still awful to the point that most topics on the forum are about their crappy itemization system and how it fails at a massive level.

If however you want to get to endgame "there is no endgame" the prepare to become a no lifer who spends hundreds upon hundreds of hours to get anywhere and RNG may still hate you.

Game is fun, and the new Loot 2.0 and the removal of the AH has made it worth playing again.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FelipeInside

@sataricon said:

@FelipeInside said:

@sataricon said:

Unless you want to only play the new act and that's it....if not then don't get.

Itemization is still awful to the point that most topics on the forum are about their crappy itemization system and how it fails at a massive level.

If however you want to get to endgame "there is no endgame" the prepare to become a no lifer who spends hundreds upon hundreds of hours to get anywhere and RNG may still hate you.

Game is fun, and the new Loot 2.0 and the removal of the AH has made it worth playing again.

What you said here means that you just finished the game and didn't try your luck at farming......

Because everyone knows that loot 2.0 is flowed with BOA/no trade and deep layers of RNG that renders most Legendary/set items useless.

And let's not talk about crafting.....It has BS all over it.

Again if you are a no lifer and can play for 10+ hours a day then yah maybe it will be fun "lol".

But if you have any kind of life at all and the most you can give a game around 3 to 4 hours a day then no....what waits you are frustration at what they call "endgame".

Give it time to patch it and to fix the broken useless crusader class and the underpowered WD and above all the itemization and then maybe you can give it a chance....right now it's not even worth playing.

ehh.... no. You have it backwards.

I don't play for countless hours with no life, or else it would just get boring. The game is fun for what I play, and the new loot system is heaps better because things that drop are actually useful and for your character. I also like the Transmorg system where you choose from a set range, instead of having to actually have the item in your inventory.

The action is fast paced and gets frantic at higher levels. Just pure fun, what D3 should of been at launch.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

@sataricon said:

Will if that's the case and you are having fun then good luck.

BTW my mention of no lifer was to the OP not you.

And the gear problem you will face it as soon as you hit the 450k DPS tell me again how fun it is.

Because now most players are setting around the 500k and 700 with a complete stall in gear progression....just wait and see when you reach there.

LOL, isn't that like every other Blizzard game? (cough* WoW *cough)

Probably like that till a new patch comes out or new expansion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside

@sataricon said:

Yes it is but this is an ARPG not an MMO.

ARPG have a faster pace and faster reward system unlike mmos with their raids and every thing.

Problem is they nerfed the game to a point that people started doing chest runs....Imagine that.

A game about killing monsters and people play on T6 and just run past mobs to open chests so that they can get their hands on a decent item.....And this because normal mobs don't drop anything....no gold no items.

The game is in a poor state now when you look at it endgame.

Yeah maybe endgame has issues since you're there and I'm not.

My post was more towards the actual game throughout. I got it at launch and finished it but there was no point to continue to play when people where just buying super gear with real money on the AH. Now with the AH gone, it's actually worth playing and finding gear.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

Well you already got the game but for other people I would just wait a year or two for the battle chest. Or the sale again of $20 for diablo 3.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I wish the expansion was stand alone, I really don't want to get Diablo 3 because i've heard its got problems... i just want the improved expansion. Guess i'll get it someday when its all dirt cheap then buy them both. Its like 40 bucks, that price is high enough it should have been a stand alone game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

@nicecall said:

I wish the expansion was stand alone, I really don't want to get Diablo 3 because i've heard its got problems... i just want the improved expansion. Guess i'll get it someday when its all dirt cheap then buy them both. Its like 40 bucks, that price is high enough it should have been a stand alone game.

It had problems, but they fixed most of them up. And it's all the same product really, they are not seperate since it's all server based now.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I just got it about two weeks ago, beat it and am now playing it no a higher difficulty. It is a blast! :) Definitely get it!