Diablo III - Lack of paladin or similar class seems off

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

I don't mind it that much, but the lineup just doesn't feel right without a heavily armored, standard knight type of class with holy powers. Also, the classes are all fairly evil looking save maybe the monk.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I am so glad they dont have the paladin! He was the most overpowered character :P. Besides that, it is good that they are switching it up. Instead they appear to be mixing classes, reinventing classes, and adding whole new classes. I am SURE we will see a paladin and necromancer soon enough in the expansions.

Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts

I am so glad they dont have the paladin! He was the most overpowered character :P. Besides that, it is good that they are switching it up. Instead they appear to be mixing classes, reinventing classes, and adding whole new classes. I am SURE we will see a paladin and necromancer soon enough in the expansions.

NaveedLife
Did Diablo 2 reuse classes from Diablo 1? I doubt the necro will reappear seeing as the shaman is very similiar. I loooooooooved the necro so the shaman would probably be my first "serious" character.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Candy-Star

Did Diablo 2 reuse classes from Diablo 1? I doubt the necro will reappear seeing as the shaman is very similiar. I loooooooooved the necro so the shaman would probably be my first "serious" character.

Diablo 1********* Diablo 2

Wizard **********Sorceress

Warrior **********Paladin

Rogue ***********Amazon

*****************Necromancer

*****************Barbarian

Granted the classes in 2 are FAR more fleshed out. And the expansion added the Assassin and Druid. I would be shocked if there was only one expansion for Diablo III like there was for II. I am expecting at least 2 expansions.

PTMags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PTMags
Member since 2006 • 783 Posts

I don't mind it that much, but the lineup just doesn't feel right without a heavily armored, standard knight type of class with holy powers. Also, the classes are all fairly evil looking save maybe the monk.

superfluidity

I'm kind of dissapointed as well. The monk just doesn't seem like my cup of tea really, and i'm on the fence about the barbarian. Not really interested in the demon hunter, and the witch doctor and wizard just seem kinda "meh" to me. There isn't really a class that stands out for me.

Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Candy-Star

[QUOTE="Candy-Star"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Diablo 1 Diablo 2

Wizard Sorceress

Warrior Paladin

Rogue Amazon

Necromancer

Barbarian

Granted the classes in 2 are FAR more fleshed out. And the expansion added the Assassin and Druid. I would be shocked if there was only one expansion for Diablo III like there was for II. I am expecting at least 2 expansions.

I'll be happy with everything even the super cartoon-y look as long as they fix the huge bot and i assume dupe problem in D2. Freaking highrunes destroyed the value of all other equips. Those runes are suppose to be rare and godly yet everyone had a dozen lying around.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Candy-Star"] Did Diablo 2 reuse classes from Diablo 1? I doubt the necro will reappear seeing as the shaman is very similiar. I loooooooooved the necro so the shaman would probably be my first "serious" character.Candy-Star

Diablo 1 Diablo 2

Wizard Sorceress

Warrior Paladin

Rogue Amazon

Necromancer

Barbarian

I'll be happy with everything even the super cartoon-y look as long as they fix the huge bot and i assume dupe problem in D2. Freaking highrunes destroyed the value of all other equips. Those runes are suppose to be rare and godly yet everyone had a dozen lying around.

OMG! Botting has gotten SO bad over the years. It didnt used to be as bad as it is now. I agree though it is awful. I think they intend to fix a lot of those problems but who knows.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I hate the paladin. His design. His mechanics. His philosophy. His background. Everything about him i hate. Im so glad theres no paladin or paladin like class in Diablo 3. Nothing - NOTHING should ever have a mechanic that increases a player's strength based on the numebr of enemies in the world of Diablo. Thats an extremely overpowered ability, and the only way to balance it well is to make it weak - and then part of the time you have a strong ability and other times you'll have a weak ability. Thats stupid and lame. Not to mention he had to many passive abilities, which are also lame. Thats why most of the character's abilities now in Diablo 3 are mostly active use abilities.

Also, no diablo character should ever, ever have anything that aids another player directly, such as a heal or dfense bonus or whatever. EVERY character should be completely self sufficient and at maximum strength regardless of what other classes are present. You should never, ever have to think "oh man, i really wish we had X class right now to make our group stonger!" NO! Diablo should be all about "5 monks? Cool! 5 barbarians? bring it on! 2 Witch doctors and 3 Wizards? Why not!?"

And finally, the entire world of Diablo has been corrupted by evil. Its a dark fantasy universe where everything has been touched by evil. even tyrael himself looks menacing and evil. but the Paladin, both in appearance and design, is entirely "too good" for the dark world of Diablo. He simply doesn't fit in. At all.

That, and he was a boring class to play. But thats something that Diablo 3 could've fixed. The other issues.... not so much.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife

I hate the paladin. His design. His mechanics. His philosophy. His background. Everything about him i hate. Im so glad theres no paladin or paladin like class in Diablo 3. Nothing - NOTHING should ever have a mechanic that increases a player's strength based on the numebr of enemies in the world of Diablo. Thats an extremely overpowered ability, and the only way to balance it well is to make it weak - and then part of the time you have a strong ability and other times you'll have a weak ability. Thats stupid and lame. Not to mention he had to many passive abilities, which are also lame. Thats why most of the character's abilities now in Diablo 3 are mostly active use abilities.

Also, no diablo character should ever, ever have anything that aids another player directly, such as a heal or dfense bonus or whatever. EVERY character should be completely self sufficient and at maximum strength regardless of what other classes are present. You should never, ever have to think "oh man, i really wish we had X class right now to make our group stonger!" NO! Diablo should be all about "5 monks? Cool! 5 barbarians? bring it on! 2 Witch doctors and 3 Wizards? Why not!?"

And finally, the entire world of Diablo has been corrupted by evil. Its a dark fantasy universe where everything has been touched by evil. even tyrael himself looks menacing and evil. but the Paladin, both in appearance and design, is entirely "too good" for the dark world of Diablo. He simply doesn't fit in. At all.

That, and he was a boring class to play. But thats something that Diablo 3 could've fixed. The other issues.... not so much.

XaosII

When did he ever have the power to become stronger with more monsters in the game?

contaminated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 contaminated
Member since 2005 • 5373 Posts
Just blowing steam here but the more I see, read and hear of Diablo 3 the less excited I get over it.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

NaveedLife

When did he ever have the power to become stronger with more monsters in the game?

My first thought there was of the necromancer -> corpse explosion, or an amazon -> frozen arrow/multishot + piercing... maybe he's thinking of blessed hammer pre-LoD or post-1.09? I actually liked the auras.. it added in a nice little subconscious metronome running in my head to keep concentration + fanaticism + something else running on my allies at the same time with the right timing.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
I'll miss the Paladin. He always was my favorite. :(
Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Candy-Star
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

Makari

My first thought there was of the necromancer -> corpse explosion, or an amazon -> frozen arrow/multishot + piercing... maybe he's thinking of blessed hammer pre-LoD or post-1.09? I actually liked the auras.. it added in a nice little subconscious metronome running in my head to keep concentration + fanaticism + something else running on my allies at the same time with the right timing.

I love the auras made it really interesting like the cold one that freezes people. Anyways I disagree with what is said. These abillities may enhance other players but that does not mean the other players are no self-sufficient. The barbarian had war cries too that boosted other allies.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

XaosII
I'm going to ignore your Orc *World of Warcraft* avatar and walk away... lol :P I kid. I liked the paladin class, but I'll be okay with the Monk class in Diablo 3.
Rikaelus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rikaelus
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts

superfluidity

Agreed. The lack of a Paladin class is a major strike against me buying this game. I'll dabble in the odd class, but my flagship character is always the armored holy warrior, and if I can't play him I lose interest.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Just blowing steam here but the more I see, read and hear of Diablo 3 the less excited I get over it. contaminated
Might be partially because you should get excited playing it, not reading about it (which is mostly mindless QQ pretty much everywhere on the internet), there's not a single game ever that made me excited just reading about it. Also, yes, monk is almost identical, it's paladin + assassin, doesn't get any better than this.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
What an old thread!
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Didn't check....>_> darned necros, no wonder Diablo 3 doesn't have em.