Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition vs Torchlight 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I have Diablo 3 for PC (and I ordered the Ultimate Evil Edition for PS4, but it hasn't arrived), and I have Torchlight 2 for PC. A lot of people thought and perhaps still think that Torchlight 2 is superior than Diablo 3, but with the new Ultimate Evil Edition and latest patch is Diablo 3 better? I think Diablo 3 is an amazing game, and I haven't played enough of Torchlight 2 to have a firm verdict, but initially it seems a lot more complex (in a complicated sort of way) and the design is much more cartoony. What does everyone else think?

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

The complexity of it alone is what makes it a better game than Diablo 3. Diablo 3's lack of complexity is what hurts it the most, compared to Diablo 2/TL2 it's a very simple game, requires very little thinking, AKA the game plays itself.

http://kotaku.com/5943951/torchlight-ii-vs-diablo-iii-the-comparison-we-had-to-make

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

@zaku101: I haven't played Torchlight 2 as much as Diablo 3, but I am steadily playing it more and more. I feel like Diablo 3 isn't overly complicated which is actually a good thing. I also like the ability to change my class whenever I want. In Torchlight 2, I hear the options are permanent so it sounds like its a bit riskier. I like the Diablo 3 story a lot better and the graphics a lot better than Torchlight 2 as of right now. So far I am liking Torchlight 2, but I don't know if it is downright a better game then Diablo 3.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I have both. I like both. I play Diablo 3 more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59079 Posts

Also preferred Diablo 3, for all the colors, Torchlight doesn't have much personality, it's a well designed but sterile feeling game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Also preferred Diablo 3, for all the colors, Torchlight doesn't have much personality, it's a well designed but sterile feeling game.

Yeah, Torchlight does feel sterile. Neither surpasses Diablo 2, which in turn was mechanically better and bigger but less ominous and haunting than Diablo 1

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Prior to Reaper of Souls and the big patch Diablo 3 to me wasn't that fun in fact I stopped playing at Act 3 since then I have completed Diablo 3 with 3 different classes... And have 100+ hours of game time logged into it.

Torchlight 2 is a also a great game.

Path of Exile is better than both in my opinion.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

Diablo III is better. Torchlight II isn't bad but it doesn't offer nearly as much as Diablo III does.

@zaku101 said:

@Mighty-Lu-Bu:

The complexity of it alone is what makes it a better game than Diablo 3. Diablo 3's lack of complexity is what hurts it the most, compared to Diablo 2/TL2 it's a very simple game, requires very little thinking, AKA the game plays itself.

http://kotaku.com/5943951/torchlight-ii-vs-diablo-iii-the-comparison-we-had-to-make

That's funny because Diablo III takes way more skill than Torchlight II.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

Diablo 3 is an awful game. Made me hate Blizzard. T2 is probably better, but I found the first to be pretty boring.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Litchie said:

Diablo 3 is an awful game. Made me hate Blizzard. T2 is probably better, but I found the first to be pretty boring.

Awful? How?

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Grim Dawn is better than both.

Just sayin'....

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@xantufrog said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yeah, Torchlight does feel sterile. Neither surpasses Diablo 2, which in turn was mechanically better and bigger but less ominous and haunting than Diablo 1

+1.

I have more than 2000hours on Diablo 3 and more than 100-200 hours on Torchlight 2.

Now, Torchlight 2 might have better start and middle (till you finish the game and reach 100 lvl), but Diablo 3 has better long running.

Not to mention that Torchlight 2 doesn't have any support at the moment. They didn't do any patch since April 2013.

I would still buy Torchlight 2 though...

Go with Diablo 3.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

@Litchie said:

Did you play it only for one day?

D3 has become a fantastic game once they got rid of the RMAH and changed the drop rate. When Souls hit it became the best out of all the other ARPG's including Path of Exile.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yeah, Diablo 1 easily had the best atmosphere/music. Diablo 2 was a better game mechanically, and content wise. Diablo 3 was a step in the wrong direction in many ways, especially the music and atmosphere.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Litchie

@b_rich84 said:

@Litchie said:

D3 has become a fantastic game once they got rid of the RMAH and changed the drop rate. When Souls hit it became the best out of all the other ARPG's including Path of Exile.

Yeah, that's what lots of people say. But alas, Diablo 3 is still boring as hell. Removing RMAH (which I didn't even use) and change the drop rate didn't make the game more fun. The classes and their skills are boring. The environments are boring. The graphics is boring. The story sucks so much ass.

I have around 200 hours of gametime, by the way. So I really tried to give it a chance. Then I got tired of the game not becoming better like they said it would.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Litchie

@-wildflower- said:

Grim Dawn is better than both.

Just sayin'....

Probably a lot better. Lost Ark looks really cool, as well. Watching gameplay videos of that game reminds me of how freaking lame Diablo 3 is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Now that I have had some time with Torchlight 2 (my character is level 40) I can make clear decisions about what game is better. Coming from someone who has played all of the Diablo games, they are all equally amazing in their own right. People hate Diablo III's atmosphere and graphics and I ask why? They are in no way cartoony like WoW's or Torchlight 2's and they fit the series quite well. The game is still dark, gritty, scary (at times) and gory and the new graphics do not take away from this at all. Second, people always complain about the music, but the music from Diablo III is VERY similar to past entries of the series so this is completely invalid. I can understand the complaints about the skill system, but even the old skill system was far from perfect. Last, but not least, we come to story and I actually quite enjoy it. The cinematics are beautiful and the story although a bit generic is overall very good.

When compared to Torchlight 2, I feel like they are in different leagues even though Torchlight 2 is a great game, Diablo III is a lot better. The story for Torchlight 2 is non-existent, the graphics and atmosphere are terrible and the skill system is basically exactly the same as Diablo II which I feel is rather dated. Torchlight 2 got pretty much everything from the Diablo series, but I feel it is geared more towards teens than a mature audience. Diablo 3 is superior, especially with all of the changes in the last couple of years, but nonetheless Torchlight 2 is still great.

Diablo III is flexible and a great edition to the series. I understand people do not like change, but most of the changes are great. Its like comparing Dark Souls to Dragon's Dogma and saying Dragon's Dogma is the better game when it clearly isn't, but that's not saying that Dragon's Dogma is bad game, it just isn't as good as Dark Souls.

On a side note, I HATED Path of the Exile because I did not like any of the classes.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@Mighty-Lu-Bu said:

Second, people always complain about the music, but the music from Diablo III is VERY similar to past entries of the series so this is completely invalid.

I am playing all Diablo games since their birth (pcmasteracing since 1997) and I can say that D3's music is good but not that good like D2LOD's one.

But as I said before I have 2000 hours on Diablo 3 and around 100-200 hours at Torchlight 2 and TL2 doesn't have the endgame gaming of Diablo 3.

Not to mention that Torchlight doesn't have a single patch since April 2013. The game had potential but it seems the only way to enjoy it after you finished it, is with mods...

ps: Anyone remember Harrogath theme? :D

Loading Video...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I've played them both, I think Blizzard done amazing job (still needs more optimization) on the gameplay - where everything flyies away when you hit

Blizzard as well making some cool changes to keep the community alive like the season characters, new gems and more.

Nothing wrong with Tourchlight games, especially when you compare prices (5$ for the 2nd game and you get the original for free? - on sales), it's everything Diablo 2 and more; but you can't compare it to the third one.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

@Litchie said:

@b_rich84 said:

@Litchie said:

Yeah, that's what lots of people say. But alas, Diablo 3 is still boring as hell. Removing RMAH (which I didn't even use) and change the drop rate didn't make the game more fun. The classes and their skills are boring. The environments are boring. The graphics is boring. The story sucks so much ass.

I have around 200 hours of gametime, by the way. So I really tried to give it a chance. Then I got tired of the game not becoming better like they said it would.

Fair enough.

But 200 hours just seems to me you got bored with it but liked it at one point, otherwise why put 200 hours into a game you hate? It doesn't take but 30 hours into a game like this to figure out if you hate it considering you can get to end game in 15 hours.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 uninspiredcup

Divinity (the original) is pretty underrated.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Litchie said:

@b_rich84 said:

@Litchie said:

You spent 200 hours on a game you consider "awful"? Either you're exaggerating how much you disliked the game or you're lying about how much you played it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Litchie

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@Litchie said:

@b_rich84 said:

@Litchie said:

You spent 200 hours on a game you consider "awful"? Either you're exaggerating how much you disliked the game or you're lying about how much you played it.

Or I played it just because I had nothing else to play at the time, and wanted a good character for when the game was supposed to become good. I've now formed my opinion of the game, which I'll never return to by the way, and that's "awful". I played it thinking "well, this is pretty terrible, I hope they fix it soon". But as it sucked just as much after the expansion, I stopped playing after I tried the new content enough to form an opinion. I really wish I could get the 200 hours back that I wasted on it. And I REALLY wish I hadn't supported Blizzard with money. I really wanted the game to be good, since I loved Diablo 2, but they really fucked up Diablo this time..

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have always been drawn to the Diablo series. I really love the new expansion and it fixes everything wrong with the first.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Litchie said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

And I REALLY wish I hadn't supported Blizzard with money. I really wanted the game to be good, since I loved Diablo 2, but they really fucked up Diablo this time..

I don't think D3 is awful, but I agree, this is not quite what I was looking for in a Diablo title. If nothing else, the character development has been rendered so uninspiring and consequence free, and that kills part of the replay value (I'm not going to replay for "better loot", I'm sorry. They can keep dangling that carrot in front of you forever). I think it has more soul than Torchlight, and I would pick it between the two, but it's not the Diablo game I wanted either, alas

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@Litchie said:

@b_rich84 said:

@Litchie said:

That's the kinda shit I expect from gamers, hyperbole beyond believe.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Litchie said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@Litchie said:

@b_rich84 said:

@Litchie said:

Or I played it just because I had nothing else to play at the time, and wanted a good character for when the game was supposed to become good. I've now formed my opinion of the game, which I'll never return to by the way, and that's "awful". I played it thinking "well, this is pretty terrible, I hope they fix it soon". But as it sucked just as much after the expansion, I stopped playing after I tried the new content enough to form an opinion. I really wish I could get the 200 hours back that I wasted on it. And I REALLY wish I hadn't supported Blizzard with money. I really wanted the game to be good, since I loved Diablo 2, but they really fucked up Diablo this time..

So you played a game you didn't enjoy playing just because you didn't have any other games to play? If the game is bad to the point of being "awful"(extremely bad; unpleasant; ugly) then surely not playing it would be a more enjoyable option than playing it. Even if you got a little bit of enjoyment out of the game it shouldn't be considered "awful" and 200 hours is a hell of a lot of time to subject yourself to an unpleasant experience. Certainly you had enjoyed some of the game and it wasn't "awful". Or maybe you just had a ridiculous sense of commitment to the game to the point where you would punish yourself by playing a game you hated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Why not play the best one of all? Path of Exile...

victoringram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 victoringram
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

Still Torchlight 2. No always online requirement, more enjoyable environment, better character customization, pets do more for you, still cheaper (obviously), and overall better gameplay.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@victoringram: 2 years old thread, locked.