urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

Devs seem to think these features are cool but these are not.

Some games will not allow you to turn off DoF at all. In other cases when you turn off DoF you realize that the characters in the cut scenes or in game are rendered in high detail but the background is still out of focus and in low detail this is ridiculous. Let gamers focus their eyes on what they want to see.

although all aliasing blurs, TAA blurs textures way too much, some games give an option for no aa, fxaa and smaa of those options smaa seems to to me to be the most tolerable, but msaa and ssaa are the best put them back in games.

as for chromatic abberation just stop it, who buys a great ips monitor with a wide color gamut, enables full rgb in their gpu control panel just so they can experience out of focus colors blurring around the edge of objects.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Those are all bad indeed what I hate the most is film grain, motion blur, to much bloom and lens flare.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17764 Posts

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2122 Posts

Yeah, last console gen was plagued by bloom/glow, not it's chromatic aberration (look, an unwanted after effect of a low quality camera lens, nice, right?) and blur (and not just motion blur, but a blurry image in general, where the game is unplayable without some added sharpness with reshade).

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts
@urbangamez said:

Some games will not allow you to turn off DoF at all. In other cases when you turn off DoF you realize that the characters in the cut scenes or in game are rendered in high detail but the background is still out of focus and in low detail this is ridiculous. Let gamers focus their eyes on what they want to see.

although all aliasing blurs, TAA blurs textures way too much, some games give an option for no aa, fxaa and smaa of those options smaa seems to to me to be the most tolerable, but msaa and ssaa are the best put them back in games.

as for chromatic abberation just stop it, who buys a great ips monitor with a wide color gamut, enables full rgb in their gpu control panel just so they can experience out of focus colors blurring around the edge of objects.

1. Well, human eyes and videogames don't work together (yet), so in real life, if you focus on something in distance, you'll lose focus on what's in front of you.

2. Anti-Aliasing is what you are trying to talk about. Aliasing doesn't ''blur'' anything. It's just a matter of pixel density, therefore ->

3. -> people with 'A GREAT MONITOR' don't have to care for anti-aliasing issues...

Please, go educate yourself a bit before you make a fool of yourself again.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

TAA and Depth of Field are the worst for me. Will make an otherwise good looking game into a blurry vaseline smeared mess.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I don't mind TAA or Depth of Field effects in some games, though they should always give the option to turn them off. Jaggies distract me more than the slight blurring of TAA.

Chromatic always looks bad though, I don't know why devs keep putting that shit in games

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 urbangamez

@WESTBLADE said:
@urbangamez said:

1. Well, human eyes and videogames don't work together (yet), so in real life, if you focus on something in distance, you'll lose focus on what's in front of you.

2. Anti-Aliasing is what you are trying to talk about. Aliasing doesn't ''blur'' anything. It's just a matter of pixel density, therefore ->

3. -> people with 'A GREAT MONITOR' don't have to care for anti-aliasing issues...

Please, go educate yourself a bit before you make a fool of yourself again.

tobii eye tracker ??? dude you need eyes to see the game, but that's not the point, each scene in the game is like a painting or photo, therefore render it fully and let the viewer focus on objects in the scene that they wish to focus on, render it sloppy and it becomes an ugly viewing experience.

anti alising is what im talking about and not image quality at pixel densities at 1080 vs 2160, so why are you on this thread timeline

chromatic aberration precedes great monitor in that particular sentence in that particular paragraph.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

@urbangamez:

1. Tobii? You mean ''that thing'' that's running for €169? I knew beforehand that you're gonna bring this up, lmao...
I have bad eyesight, like TONS of people, so i'm very unlucky: https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/210249865-Glasses-lenses-and-eye-surgery

I meant ''work together'' as in ''cooperate''. If you have to use some peripherial that ''may or may not'' not even work properly for like 50% of earth's population, tough shit.

I'm not saying some of these things don't annoy me, it's just you lost your point somewhere around the front sentence. For example : Need for Speed (2015) and it's combination of live action and real-time 3D models - when they are ''walkin' and talkin'' by your ''ride'' and you don't use TAA, it looks ridiculous. Also, the visual feel of the game is build with TAA in mind, so...???

All in all, saturated low-end hardware is what holds the developer's hand back. DoF, for example, is a great thing for open-world games, because of draw distance and helps to hide texture/LOD pop-in issues. Look at what PC's people are gaming on in 2018:
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam?platform=pc
^There's your answer why they have to use these ''annoying'' things. The majority of consumers is gaming on some office calculators...

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By urbangamez

@WESTBLADE I don't know y u laughing, if you knew I was gonna bring it up, why mention it. as for working together, let me say it again, you need eyes to see the images in video game, no image, nothing to see, can't see images, what r u looking at? I don't know how much more together eyes and images can get.

lost which point? the one you are creating or the one I made? don't build games with tech that blurs images and if you do allow for it to toggle off, that's the point I made.

nothing is holding back devs, in this instance for the games i'm talking about there is usually toggle switch for low, medium and high quality settings. DoF is not good for open world games what's the point of having an open world scene if you can't see the majority of it and its all a blur?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
@urbangamez said:

@WESTBLADE I don't know y u laughing, if you knew I was gonna bring it up, why mention it. as for working together, let me say it again, you need eyes to see the images in video game, no image, nothing to see, can't see images, what r u looking at? I don't know how much more together eyes and images can get.

lost which point? the one you are creating or the one I made? don't build games with tech that blurs images and if you do allow for it to toggle off, that's the point I made.

nothing is holding back devs, in this instance for the games i'm talking about there is usually toggle switch for low, medium and high quality settings. DoF is not good for open world games what's the point of having an open world scene if you can't see the majority of it and its all a blur?

Excuse me, but you never said what games you are talking about. Not even once a title of a game was brought up by you in your own thread. Am i really the one who is making up a point?
If you wanna see the real depth in a game, go play in stereoscopic 3D. The Witcher 3 (with 3D Fix Manager) is a good way to start the experience...?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 urbangamez

@WESTBLADE said:
@urbangamez said:

Excuse me, but you never said what games you are talking about. Not even once a title of a game was brought up by you in your own thread. Am i really the one who is making up a point?

If you wanna see the real depth in a game, go play in stereoscopic 3D. The Witcher 3 (with 3D Fix Manager) is a good way to start the experience...?

games with TAA, DoF and chromatic aberration, no need to bring up a title, its there in the topic sentence, but you didn't see that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
@urbangamez said:
@WESTBLADE said:
@urbangamez said:

games with TAA, DoF and chromatic aberration, no need to bring up a title, its there in the topic sentence, but you didn't see that.

That's like every 3D game on the market right now. You should quit gaming altogether right now and wait for another ten years for new annoying things to come... ✌

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

I usually keep "Depth of Field" on for the most parts, it doesn't bother me that much and it's not bad as people say it is. I don't mind it for screenshots where you have something directly in focus that you want to make more prominent but when I'm actually playing if I want to look at something on the edge of my screen I don't want it to be a blurry, unfocused mess. It just looks terrible.

Dark Souls for example looks good where there are large environments. just makes the world feel much larger to me and more mysterious to me.

The first thing I do in every game is turn off v-sync, motion blur, chromatic and TAA. Depending on the game, Depth of Field is okay in some games, I turn it off in first-person-shooters tho. The only time I'd find it acceptable would be if it were really overdone as a temporary effect while my character is really disoriented and it slowly faded out and back to normal as he recovered.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Jaggies take top spot for graphics blemishes. I'll take anything that eliminates them, even some blurriness caused by some AA methods. Sometimes, Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness in-game helps. Sharpness via monitor controls also helps. Even Digital Vibrance via Nvidia Control Panel helps although it won't show up on screenshots.

Chromatic Crap and DoF? I turn them off too.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

Hm. I actually like DoF and Motion Blur, as I have a photography/videography hobby on the side. Chromatic Abberation, I don't notice, but I turn it off when I can anyway. TAA can do a bit too much blurring with too much of a performance hit, so I leave that off.

What I really don't like, however, are over exposed bloom/HDR effects. Other than that, I like post processing effects that evoke an intended, but still plausible real world/filmic atmosphere, instead of running the game's graphics through a puke water filter.