Decent build for less than 400 GBP

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpaceCat00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SpaceCat00
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I haven't been keeping up with component releases for the past few years and intend to build a computer for a family member soon, so if anyone could recommend components for a build I would appreciate it. Budget is £350 to £400, I don't need an optical drive or HDD and it will be used for light gaming and photo editing. Thanks
BLaZiNg_SPEED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 BLaZiNg_SPEED
Member since 2009 • 406 Posts

Check this youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6FD1b-tYkk

Build a Gaming PC for $350 - February 2013

I think this will do you good for all your light gamings. In fact they'll run mostly all of the games in the world at least in medium settings.

But it is important to know exactly what kind of games you want to play. What do you define by light gaming? If it is World of Warcraft, Torchlight 2, NBA 2K13, Far Cry 1. That may be considered light gaming. But if you are up for Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, etc and you want to max them out. Then a £400 computer won't be enough. 

Unless of-course you have the existing components like RAM, Power Supply and Hard Drive. Then your building may become much cheaper. But if you're buying all of the stuff then it will cost you money.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

£400 is pretty low. An extra £50 - £100 would make a big difference.

yodude1026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yodude1026
Member since 2011 • 184 Posts
im sure that you can get an OK gaming pc for that price if you build everything yourselve and have a copy of windows at hand...
SpaceCat00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SpaceCat00
I am building the computer for a family member that doesn't particularly play games that often, with most of the games that they play being several years old and not very demanding. However they also do quite a lot of photo editing and there is a possibility that they may play newer games and the computer will have to last for a while so it needs to be able to at least be able to play newer games on tolerable settings. In addition to this, whilst I am aware that a slightly larger budget would be better unfortunately this cannot be afforded, so the components must stay under a total cost of £400, not including HDD and optical drive. Thanks Blazing Speed for that link however from the little that I have read APUs seem to be a bit low on performance and I would prefer a dedicated graphics card. The main thing that I would like to query is which graphics cards and CPUs would you recommend for this budget range? I was thinking an am3+ mobo and an fx cpu , but as I said I am not very up to date with current tech so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
[QUOTE="SpaceCat00"]I am building the computer for a family member that doesn't particularly play games that often, with most of the games that they play being several years old and not very demanding. However they also do quite a lot of photo editing and there is a possibility that they may play newer games and the computer will have to last for a while so it needs to be able to at least be able to play newer games on tolerable settings. In addition to this, whilst I am aware that a slightly larger budget would be better unfortunately this cannot be afforded, so the components must stay under a total cost of £400, not including HDD and optical drive. Thanks Blazing Speed for that link however from the little that I have read APUs seem to be a bit low on performance and I would prefer a dedicated graphics card. The main thing that I would like to query is which graphics cards and CPUs would you recommend for this budget range? I was thinking an am3+ mobo and an fx cpu , but as I said I am not very up to date with current tech so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you have anything you can reuse? Case? Power supply? Windows? IF not it's going to be difficult to get what you want with that budget when 1/4 of it will be windows.
SpaceCat00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpaceCat00
I have an OS, HDD and DVD drive.
Avatar image for crippledmachine
crippledmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crippledmachine
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

Add another £100 and you would get a fairly decent PC.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kraken2109
I have an OS, HDD and DVD drive.SpaceCat00
Phenom 965 - £80 8GB DDR3 - £30 AM3+ mobo - £70 (AM3+ does support phneom II right?) Budget case - £40 Budget PSU - £40 Budget graphics card - £100 Total - £360 Did i miss anything? I guess I was wrong about the budget being too small. A bit more would certainly help though.