Dead or Alive 5 Last Round: PC Reception Thoughts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts

I've written a review trying to give a positive view of DoA5LR on steam. If anyone finds this post with questions for the PC version specifically I'll be happy to assist. The review is located here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/wolfwatch/recommended/311730/

The PC version might not be the best version, but it's definitely a worthy one. Unfortunately a wave of negativity has hit the steam reviews. Almost all of the top reviews have less than an hour in game and paint an indirect picture of the game. I think that it does more to mislead readers than inform them, but that's my opinion.

This is my first DoA and I've been loving it. I'll be glad to answer any questions about it here.

If anyone else has insightful thoughts on the release please share as well.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

it sounds like a half assed effort here. It's still good its on pc but they did the bare minimum to get this ready for PC. Not surprised either after seeing all the greedy DLC they released on console and tried to milk everyone for the smallest shitty things.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Could see a mile away this would be a shit port with cash in DLC. If you supported this, and you are complaining, then you are either ignorant or a hypocrite.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Half a game, would never support this... People on Steam forums treat it like a joke, of course they buy the game too...

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I'm surprised people still care about such a mediocre fighting game in the first place.

WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts

The DLC is rediculious, without a doubt. But I'm not paying forced into buying it. Except for some visual features and two stages the largest missing feature in the game is the online mode. The game loads and plays just fine, bug free and running smooth, on my end. I'm not trying to make any hostilities but I feel that our judgments on games have almost become political in nature rather than viewing the content with subjective and objective reasoning. We know that the jeering attitude of Ubisoft has created a negative halo around their games—for me its more about uplay.

Although for something such as DoA5LR, on PC where the fighting genre has had been weak and is now getting more releases, are we comparing them fairly?

The fighting genre on PC has had such a small amount of big titles, mainly Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. I would think that any larger titles onto the PC would be welcome. Its not the best fighter, but it is still fun and enjoyable. I was just regarding the needless animosity it seems to be getting that is little related to the game itself.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I'm all for amateur reviews and the average person voicing their thoughts. But there's something just wrong with the way people have been writing reviews after having only spent as little as 10 minutes with the game.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I don't think it supports rumble. It also seems to only support stereo sound.

I only wanted it because I heard it was an easy fighter game, but so far I'm having trouble learning to play it, so even that is a disappointment.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

I'm all for amateur reviews and the average person voicing their thoughts. But there's something just wrong with the way people have been writing reviews after having only spent as little as 10 minutes with the game.

you should think of those reviews as what they really are: thoughts after a few minutes with the game.

the playtime on steam reviews is still a good indicator though. just because a game becomes awesome after 25 hours of play doesn't mean that every player has the willingness to put up with 25 hours of mediocrity to get to the good bit, nor should games be made that way.

i might have bought it but with mortal kombat X so close, i see no reason to.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Articuno76

@Kh1ndjal said:

@Articuno76 said:

you should think of those reviews as what they really are: thoughts after a few minutes with the game.

the playtime on steam reviews is still a good indicator though. just because a game becomes awesome after 25 hours of play doesn't mean that every player has the willingness to put up with 25 hours of mediocrity to get to the good bit, nor should games be made that way.

i might have bought it but with mortal kombat X so close, i see no reason to.

I'm still on the fence. After all, the game is already half-off. Give it a little more time and it would be a decent budget purchase. Kinda happy I cancelled that pre-order now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

The DLC setup is insane!

You used to be able to buy the outfits individually. They weren't cheap, but they aren't necessary, and didn't cost 70 bucks! And lots of DLC isn't even available right now.

Other than that, meh it's fine. It loads matches pretty fast compared to the PS3 (I think the 360 was slow too). Also, the text doesn't seem very sharp. But, let's be honest: you aren't buying this game for sharp text.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
@glez13 said:

I only wanted it because I heard it was an easy fighter game, but so far I'm having trouble learning to play it, so even that is a disappointment.

Do you mean you can't pull off the moves? Or that you are constantly loosing against even the lowest-level AI?

Some opponents - like Bass, Lisa, Brad Wong, Kokoro, Jann Lee, and Helena - are more difficult regardless of AI setting

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Serves them right,either port it properly or don't bother at all.I'd rather play the console version

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Articuno76

I got it yesterday for £8. Can't complain. Runs perfectly fine maxed out at 1080 (8350/270X). And TBH if you didn't know it was missing some visual tweaks you wouldn't notice anything was amiss: none of the ugliness that typically comes with a poor port (boxy shadows, ineffective/lacking AA options).

I've noticed some people point out that the fight intro/outros and cutscenes are locked at 30FPS but TBH I never would have noticed without a frame counter on, and indeed, never did when playing the PS3/Vita versions. What I did notice however, was the round-end dial-down from 60 to 30, so rather than certain parts being in 30 bothering you it's the transition between them not being handled smoothly that sticks out.

Like the Vita version the story mode also uses pre-rendered sequences at pretty decent quality (at 1080 at least artefacting is minor, but they might not hold up so well at higher resolutions). Which cuts down on all the loading between every cutscene as the game no longer has to load a new set in. Jaggies dampen presentation a bit though. Given the PC can load new stages really quickly it's a shame the developers didn't go back to the original in-engine style. It would have made for greater consistency in presentation between different parts of the game.

All in all it's an okayish port, but an incomplete package compared to the console versions. So the real question you have to ask yourself is, how much does that missing content bother you? And is the saving on the price enough to counter that?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Articuno76

@Chatch09 said:

@glez13 said:

I don't think it supports rumble. It also seems to only support stereo sound.

Confirmed, no rumble and only stereo. There is a slight learning curve but its way easier than games like Tekken and Soul Calibur IMO. You have to learn to delay your combos as well as know the other guy's move set (so you know which counter to pull) to be the most effective. Hitomi is probably the best character to start with for a beginner, fast and hard hitting with easy to learn combos with just enough variation to make her extremely effective without being as difficult as other characters like Hayabusa.

Did the original have anything other than Dolby Stereo? It's pretty common for fighting games not to have 5.1 because even when you're playing the 3D ones the game plays out on a (shifting) 2D plane at any given time

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

PS4 for the win.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

I can't believe this shit is getting positive reviews on metacritic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85

I don't think it's bad. The game's DLC is pretty...optional...to say the least. And the faster load times do make a difference for such a "pick-up-and-play" game.

I do get confused about why the XBONE and PS3 have a better DLC setup than we have - and why we are missing so many outfits.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@Chatch09 said:

@Cobra_nVidia: Those outfits aren't really missing per se, you just have to pay like $110 for them.....

Even if you pay those $110 you will notice that stuff is still locked up. The PC version does miss some DLC packages, for now at least.

Anyways after practicing a little this is really an easy to follow and entertaining fighter, had been waiting for ages for something like this on PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
@Chatch09 said:

@Cobra_nVidia: Those outfits aren't really missing per se, you just have to pay like $110 for them.....

We're missing some outfits, even in available steam DLC, I'm pretty sure. For example:

"Hot" Getaway

Ultimate "Sexy"

Tropical "Sexy"

I guess we PC users aren't "Hot" and "Sexy" enough!

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

The population will probably be gone by the time online hits...