DDR2 RAM DIMM went bad - keep 3 DIMMs or replace?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts

I had 16GB of DDR2 dual channel RAM on 4 4GB DIMMs on my Vista 64 rig. I started having random blue screen crashes and sure enough, the third DIMM has gone bad (tested with MemTest86+, removed DIMM and errors are gone).

I'm wondering, since this is dual channel, would Vista 64 and other 64-bit programs such as 3D rendering software suffer if I use 3 DIMMs? I don't really need to replace the bad DIMM but I don't want one of the three to go unused.

I guess my ? is; can the computer still use 12GB of RAM on 3 DIMMs in 'dual channel'? Would the third DIMM go unused, or used less, or something? :)

cyanblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cyanblues
Member since 2004 • 312 Posts

test it out? i mean you have the 3 memory stick installed so use something like cpuz etc and it should give you info if its running in dual or single channel mode

sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts

test it out? i mean you have the 3 memory stick installed so use something like cpuz etc and it should give you info if its running in dual or single channel mode

cyanblues
I did; they seem to be working, still in 'dual channel' mode. But I wonder if there are any drawbacks to using 3 DIMMs in dual channel mode.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
What do you need 16GB for?
cyanblues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cyanblues
Member since 2004 • 312 Posts

[QUOTE="cyanblues"]

sergioalb64

I did; they seem to be working, still in 'dual channel' mode. But I wonder if there are any drawbacks to using 3 DIMMs in dual channel mode.

do some benchmark? like sandra's stuff and pcmark etc see if theres a neglible difference, if not then why worry aobut it