DayZ still worth getting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NintendoGamer3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 NintendoGamer3
Member since 2008 • 2848 Posts

Was thinking about getting it, but last I heard it's filled with hackers, god mode's, etc. Is that true still? Should I wait for the stand-alone?

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Rumor has it the Standalone won't be coming untill close to Xmas. Personally i just got back into it and it's ALOT of fun. i hear some people on servers complaining about hackers but i haven;t seen one yet i think it's just whining because they died.:P

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Wait for the standalone. That's what i'm doing

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#4 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

A new update just came out that fixes a bunch of things and there aren't nearly as many hackers as there were a couple of months ago.

Its in pretty good shape right now and its probably not a bad time to get into it.

Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lyncaster
Member since 2011 • 228 Posts
Have you looked at WarZ?
Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
I'm still waiting to see what ends up the better game, WarZ or DayZ.
Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lyncaster
I'm still waiting to see what ends up the better game, WarZ or DayZ.Totalgym9000
WarZ is my favorite, mostly because Its engine is more suited for zombies. But it still has a bit to go in the Ai department. Do you have both?
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="Totalgym9000"]I'm still waiting to see what ends up the better game, WarZ or DayZ.Lyncaster
WarZ is my favorite, mostly because Its engine is more suited for zombies. But it still has a bit to go in the Ai department. Do you have both?

Warz is cancerously bad. Its ugly, dull and full of hackers.

Lyncaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lyncaster

[QUOTE="Lyncaster"][QUOTE="Totalgym9000"]I'm still waiting to see what ends up the better game, WarZ or DayZ.with_teeth26

Have you played it..?
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

[QUOTE="Lyncaster"] WarZ is my favorite, mostly because Its engine is more suited for zombies. But it still has a bit to go in the Ai department. Do you have both?Lyncaster

Have you played it..?

yea I got a guest pass so fortunately I didn't have to pay for it.

hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts

[QUOTE="Lyncaster"][QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

with_teeth26

Have you played it..?

yea I got a guest pass so fortunately I didn't have to pay for it.

I paid for it and I still agree with you to some degree. I feel like a lot of what's bad with it will hopefully get better with time as it leaves Alpha stage but to say Day Z isn't better at this point in time is lunacy. Day Z is far more feature rich, and in a better state developmentally. I am excited to see how the standalone holds up. At least it will have far more buildings you can enter than War Z currently does.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
DayZ is better than ever. I rarely encounter hackers, performance and load times are decent, and they've finally fixed enough bugs to the point of where I'd say the game finally has acquired as slight level of polish. With the last update, they really put a nail in the coffin of combat loggers (haven't encountered any since, I've managed to acquire many more kills when I play now), and killing zombies now feels slightly more satisfying now they fixed the animations.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I'm still waiting to see what ends up the better game, WarZ or DayZ.Totalgym9000

WarZ is an absolutely horrible game and not even in the same league as DayZ. It's clunky, broken and very poorly made. It's not fun at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="Totalgym9000"]I'm still waiting to see what ends up the better game, WarZ or DayZ.Lyncaster

DayZ will fix most issues in it's engine and design in the standalone as optimisation occurs and really changes the game.

WarZ however, is horrendously dull to play.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
I would just wait its not a really long time till the standalone is here.
naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

If you want a zombie survival game get war-z

If you want a zombie survival experience then get day-z

Thats the best way to put it...i prefer the latter

Edit: oh also day-z has alt look which means you can look in directions opposite to the way you are running crawling etc...for a zombie survival game its a life saver

iagbas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 iagbas
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
With DayZ standalone around the corner I would wait for it. The developer said its definitely release this year so not much left. I tried WarZ with guest key but whole global inventory thing is plain stupid. People are all stocked up weapons and ammo, new player don't have chance.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

wait for the standalone

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

A new update just came out that fixes a bunch of things and there aren't nearly as many hackers as there were a couple of months ago.

Its in pretty good shape right now and its probably not a bad time to get into it.

with_teeth26
So if i went back i wont have to start a new character on a new server every 10 min ? because the hacking was so bad and thats what made me stop for a while. Still some great fun when there were no hackers in game. Id say give it a try.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Damn i hear nothing but bad things about War Z sucks because it *looks* ok.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

MW2ismygame

So if i went back i wont have to start a new character on a new server every 10 min ? because the hacking was so bad and thats what made me stop for a while. Still some great fun when there were no hackers in game. Id say give it a try.

Well to be honest I've only been playing on Namalsk which isn't terribly well known so I can't speak for Chernerous or Lingor but I get the sense that most hackers got bored and moved on. It was truly awful a couple of months ago though.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"][QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

with_teeth26

Well to be honest I've only been playing on Namalsk which isn't terribly well known so I can't speak for Chernerous or Lingor but I get the sense that most hackers got bored and moved on. It was truly awful a couple of months ago though.

Things have simply changed. A few months ago there we no tools and very little being done by BattlEye. At this point, BattlEye is performing routine mass bannings, and more tools have been released for server admins so they can deal with cheaters. Most servers these days are running BattlEye in addition to their own anti-cheat systems (which take care of the obvious cheaters). I've been playing DayZ on and off for the last couple months and I haven't seen a single solitary hacker. I've never seen any hackers on maps other than the default one too, so be sure to check those out.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Standalone in December.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 with_teeth26

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"] So if i went back i wont have to start a new character on a new server every 10 min ? because the hacking was so bad and thats what made me stop for a while. Still some great fun when there were no hackers in game. Id say give it a try. KHAndAnime

Things have simply changed. A few months ago there we no tools and very little being done by BattlEye. At this point, BattlEye is performing routine mass bannings, and more tools have been released for server admins so they can deal with cheaters. Most servers these days are running BattlEye in addition to their own anti-cheat systems (which take care of the obvious cheaters). I've been playing DayZ on and off for the last couple months and I haven't seen a single solitary hacker. I've never seen any hackers on maps other than the default one too, so be sure to check those out.

Thats good to hear.

You must have been lucky though, I ran into so many freaking hackers in the weeks before I stopped playing, across Lingor, Chernerous, Fallujah...

One hacker on Lingor caused everyone to start dancing for a few minutes. Later he caused everyone to float into the air and then fall to their deaths. I also encountered multiple hackers using choppers that could not be shot down, people teleporting to me, people teleporting me to them, I saw everyone on a server get insta-killed, everyone get teleported to the same place in the sky, all the vehicles on a server get teleported to one place, a dude who had his primary weapon replaced with a tank gun that shot huge building-destroying shells... it almost became worth playing to see what ridiculous hacks you would encounter.

I haven't seen any hackers since I dipped in again so its looking good right now.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I played DayZ for a good few months until I got sick of playing it. Hackers did get somewhat annoying, but I was able to live with it as I was not running into too many to ruin the fun. However, the biggest issue that made me stop playing was because the game was too -predictable-. All the "good" loot spawned in specific places. The NW Airfield, for example, housed the best stuff in the game (aside from downed helicopters). What does this create? An environment where "bandits" and "survivors" gravitated toward the usual places because that's where the rewards are (survivors with loot drops and bandits fresh fresh meat). Personally, things could be more varied, keeping everyone on their toes. I have not played since late summer, so I am not sure if any of that changed.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I'm gonna play it when the stand alone is released or maybe some time after. The game's amazing and it's in good hands, I just hope development never ceases and doesn't progress at a snails pace, the ideas Dean has for the game are great. Not gonna get War Z, doesn't touch the level of immersion or sense of realism you get from Day Z.

MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts
[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

[QUOTE="MW2ismygame"] So if i went back i wont have to start a new character on a new server every 10 min ? because the hacking was so bad and thats what made me stop for a while. Still some great fun when there were no hackers in game. Id say give it a try. KHAndAnime

Thats good to hear, now i will definitely give it another go. as Teeth said, the hacking was so bad just a wile ago and turned many people off.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 with_teeth26

I played DayZ for a good few months until I got sick of playing it. Hackers did get somewhat annoying, but I was able to live with it as I was not running into too many to ruin the fun. However, the biggest issue that made me stop playing was because the game was too -predictable-. All the "good" loot spawned in specific places. The NW Airfield, for example, housed the best stuff in the game (aside from downed helicopters). What does this create? An environment where "bandits" and "survivors" gravitated toward the usual places because that's where the rewards are (survivors with loot drops and bandits fresh fresh meat). Personally, things could be more varied, keeping everyone on their toes. I have not played since late summer, so I am not sure if any of that changed.XIntoTheBlue

I don't play on Chernerous any more for that reason, its too predictable. In fact I don't play much at all any more for that reason.

Lingor is a much better map in terms of loot distribution, there are large cities and good loot spawns all over the map. However that also means you get geared quicker and run out of things to do quicker. Which is ultimately the problem with the game, once you know where/how to get geared and stay alive, the game loses much of its fun. I think a more intricate map with more reason to explore remote areas (like finding stashes in the Stalker games) would make things better.

What Dean really needs to do in the stand alone is improve the 'end game' - give people things to do besides gear up and kill each other. Like setting up permanent establishments, giving incentive for people to work together rather than kill each other on sight. That aspect of the game should stay - the intensity of running into another player and being unsure about whether or not to kill that player needs to remain, but right now essentially all encounters with unknown players end in a shootout. Dean needs to think of something to balance out the risk/reward of trusting another player.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#29 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Im still having a blast with it, been playing since it first came out to. Not as much hacking anymore either. Also there is two new maps that I like (Lingor Island and the snow level).

Cant wait for the standalone in Dec!

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#30 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

The threat of hackers would be enough to dissuade me from playing it. Hope they're combating that.