Dark Void GFWL vs GFW - An omen, or just an oddity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

owenhbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 owenhbrown
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts

IfMS decides to lower the price of the GoD version on Dark Void I may just buy it, seeing as thenormal retailcopy version is not a LIVE title.

But with the upcoming changes to GFWL, could this be a sign of things to come, or is it just a wierd once-off occurence?

I have a theory.

MS still seems determined to achieve two goals: Firstly a gaming platform for the Windows OS that can compete with Steam, and a means by which they can linktheirWindowsgamers with their XBOX community.

Much of the chatter I gauge from online has not been happy with the service so far, and I asume that is why more developers aren't making GFWL titles.

Could it be that in the future, games with LIVE connectibity will only be available via GoD?

I don't know how the game was made, but I am envisioning a set of achievements, etc.being tacked on sometime between the retail release and the GoD release. If this process allows the developers of the game more control over their retail release, whilst ensuring continual sales via download, then there would be logic to this system, whilst Microsoft benefits from a higher influx of titles for GFWL. In other words, MS basically does what Steam does with many of it's titles.

Or this could just be total wishful thinking... Clearly I am envisioning a New Vegas or Bioshock Infinite with ahcievements on my PC. *sigh*

I would appreciate your thoughts, and some ideas as to just why Dark Void had such an odd PC release.

Robineaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Robineaux
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I think GfWL is definitely losing a fight. Last 2 years some great titles came out for the GfWL community like Red Faction, GTA IV, Dirt 2 and Bioshock 2. But that's just a few. There's a lot of games coming out for PC which don't have achievements. I think the extra thing in GfWL is the achievements and network part. Since most gamedeveloppers use their own or better working network to supply online gaming, lots of games come without these achievements. I started to hunt for achievements after buying GTA IV. In the beginning i thought it wasn't so special, but i'm now totally infected with achievement fever. I found out 100's of games coming out with achievements but all and only for the Xbox. I don't play console games and found it unfair that in pc games they don't appaear. Only the GfWL games. These last ones are mostly not interesting tittles with some exceptions (mentioned above). All the great titles are provided (for online gaming and community) elsewhere. You might b right it is because the lagging service on GfWL. I guess Steam is winning the fight. When they deside to honour achievements in their community GfWL is totally lost. Only some small titles will stay there i guess, and GfWL will bleed to death. In selling games the retail part is loosing anyway: Buying a game is not like buying a music disc. It has mearly special value and Steam download is working fine. But making achievements only available through buying it in GoD is a monopoly-like strategy. The GfWL piece of the pie is just too small for i trick like that. Ppl will loose interest and bann GfWL achievements from their system. There is one interesting case anyway which should draw some attention: Dirt 2 is downloadable through Steam, and later on you have to activate it through first steam, and then GfWL. GfWL delivers the community and online play. "How weird???" However: My dream is that Microsoft loses the fight. Their service is really lagging and frustrating. I just hope they transport my achievements to the next mainstream community so i won't have to do these 10k of gamerpoints again ;) Greatzzz
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
I personally don't want Microsoft to give up on Games for Windows LIVE. I don't support Xbox anymore, I'm only planning to buy one more game for my xbox, which is Gears of War 3. BUT the more money that is invested into the PC Market the better, esp. with Microsoft's pockets. It can help innovate the PC Market even more.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Maybe tomorrow's Games for Windows LIVE update will be better then what we expect. Who Knows....?
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
the new update is pretty good, id like to see MS still show some more PC love and give us fable 3 already, but i really do prefer gfwl more than steam.. maybe cuz i play 360 alot lol. id just like the have the xbox dashboard sort of thing on pc games.. gosh that would be amazing letting us choose music, chat with friends, maybe throw in a web browser and have all of that while your playing the game, kinda like the xbox dashboard but on steroids :P
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
That game was dust in the wind to begin wtih. Thats why they lowered the price.
Robineaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Robineaux
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I really like GfWL. In fact, not much complaining about it. It's just that many games won't show up as a Live-edition, which means you don't get achievements and you can't play it with your online friends. My idea is that big titles coming less and less to GfWL. That's not cool, and I think it's loosing terrain to other communities in PC gaming. That's my point. All the suggestions about browse-windows and music adding in GfWL sound good. They should try that. Make it worth ;)
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

microsoft needs to put out some of its own big pc titles if they want to compete with valve.