Dark Souls for PC using keyboard/mouse?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brazucass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Brazucass
Member since 2009 • 482 Posts

I would like to know if they ported this game correctly before spending my cash on it. Does it plays well for those who use PC`s official controls (keyboard/mouse)?

Console lovers please dont answer since we dont care.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I would like to know if they ported this game correctly before spending my cash on it. Does it plays well for those who use PC`s official controls (keyboard/mouse)?

Brazucass

The keyboard works very well....the problem is the mouse controls. They are a little mehish in my opinion. I can see someone getting use to it after a while, but I don't want to and rather just use a controller.

Brazucass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brazucass
Member since 2009 • 482 Posts

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Gamepads have always had a place in PC gaming. One of the best things about the PC is the variety of input devices it lets you use for games.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Gamepads have always had a place in PC gaming. One of the best things about the PC is the variety of input devices it lets you use for games.

xLittlekillx
That doesn't answer the question though.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

xLittlekillx

Especially them console portz always have slightly off mouse control, so I end up using the gamepad. Plus is much more enjoyable when you can sit back to the tv thus giving that ps3.5/x540 esque graphics :P

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

According to Kevin V on Twitter, the mouse controls are poop and you should just plug in a control.

Though if you want to you can still play it like that.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

Elann2008

The question was answered in the second post. Did you think I just forgot how to answer a question? Like I bargained away my question answering abilities to some demon lord for a sick new pair of Nikes? Jesus christ.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

xLittlekillx

The question was answered in the second post. Did you think I just forgot how to answer a question? Like I bargained away my question answering abilities to some demon lord for a sick new pair of Nikes? Jesus christ.

ShadowDeathX answered the question. That's just one user's opinion. I'm sure some of us would like to hear more feedback from other users.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

from what i hear your mouse cursor stays on your screen while you are playing and things go crazy when you try and use menus with your mouse.

Also, all button promtps are for the 360 controller even if you are using kb/m

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

Brazucass
I wonder if you play Devil may Cry will a keyboard as well.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

Keyboard works decent once you can finally figure out all the keys, mouse control is nearly broken and controls as if it is an analog stick along with an awkward deceleration effect. Menu's are an unnecessary pain. And a couple of other minor issues, but the busted mouse control is what ruins it all.

It's sad, since there was good potential for an enjoyable and pleasant kb&m use. I absolutely do not believe dark souls is a kind of game that is "not suited for kb&m", it was just very poorly executed in this instance.

So in it's current state, I'd definitely say it's gamepad or bust, for now.

[QUOTE="Brazucass"]

SAGE_OF_FIRE

I wonder if you play Devil may Cry will a keyboard as well.

I sure as hell would have, if it happened to have good mouse control for camera and basic combat inputs along side it. :D

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
It honestly works better keyboard-only than it does keyboard/mouse. Great with a gamepad, as mentioned, but the mouse feels super-off!
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Using a gamepad on your PC is like driving a car with square wheels. Why would you go backwards through the evolutionary process? If a game doesn't have Keyboard and Mouse support, it's obviously never meant to be a PC game in the first place.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
I've finally got it working well with my PS3 controller, and I've got a steady frame rate at 1080p too and I'd have to say, looks A LOT better than the console version. And to people who say K+M is superior 100% of the time, in third person action games like this and Assassins Creed, a gamepad is far more useful as precision accuracy is not a requirement.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#18 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Brazucass

- Port Authority: Dark Souls PC = Dark indeed -- this is one of the worst ports we've ever seen.

- and now that it's here, the worst of them are confirmed: this is just about a worst-case scenario port. It's a shame, too -- it's like getting that bike you asked for for Christmas only to find that it's so poorly assembled you can barely ride it.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dark-souls/1225854p1.html

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

Using a gamepad on your PC is like driving a car with square wheels. Why would you go backwards through the evolutionary process? If a game doesn't have Keyboard and Mouse support, it's obviously never meant to be a PC game in the first place.SKaREO

BY far the most idiotic comment I've ever read. You are right up there with loosingends. evolutionary process? You have an over inflated sense of your importance if you think that comment holds any weight. In fact a dry fart carries more usefulness than what you just said.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

Using a gamepad on your PC is like driving a car with square wheels. Why would you go backwards through the evolutionary process? If a game doesn't have Keyboard and Mouse support, it's obviously never meant to be a PC game in the first place.SKaREO

BY far the most idiotic comment I've ever read. You are right up there with loosingends. evolutionary process? You have an over inflated sense of your importance if you think that comment holds any weight. In fact a dry fart carries more usefulness than what you just said.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

Saying something stupid with the fallacy of intelligence is a sad place for any speaker to be.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Well apparently Gamespy says the mouse/keyboard controls are damn near unuseable, and is just of many reasons the port is absolutely terrible.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

At first I hated the port and i will list why. 1. silly default buttons. 2. HORRIBLE FPS (on a 200$ card) 3. mouse visible and moves around when your looking around 4. graphics were bad 5. tips display 360 controls. (press "A" to continue) 6. mouse is clearly imitating a joystick as in it can only tilt the stick so far and only tilts it while moving causing you to do a 1080 spin with a slow steady move and a 90 spin with a twitch. Steps taken since then. 1. remap controls 2. play in windowed maximized with Gamecompanion1.3 3. download autohotkey and "http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2197&highlight=nomousy" 4. download the 1080p resolution fix by Durante 5. ignored 6. lowered mouse sensitivity in windows and raised the in game setting 1-4 are fixable and 2 might not happen with your rig. 5 is cause the port was lazy but they did at least warn us on that one. If you are in the group that believes keyboards are always better than game-pads than i doubt you need tips anyway. 6 is the real issue but is workable with a little practice. This is not however, a perfect fix. Now that i have fixed most of the issues i would say its an ok port considering they were reluctant to give it and warned that it would not be good. My suggestion would be to pirate the game and decide if the mouse thing is workable for you and buy it afterwards knowing that you must go through 1-4 to make it work. Also yes I did buy the game and even though i have no gamepad to use I do not regret the buy.morphisblob

Your suggestion is to pirate the game? Lovely.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#24 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Well apparently Gamespy says the mouse/keyboard controls are damn near unuseable, and is just of many reasons the port is absolutely terrible.

the_bi99man

Get ready to be called a SNOBBY PC GAMER :lol:

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="morphisblob"]At first I hated the port and i will list why. 1. silly default buttons. 2. HORRIBLE FPS (on a 200$ card) 3. mouse visible and moves around when your looking around 4. graphics were bad 5. tips display 360 controls. (press "A" to continue) 6. mouse is clearly imitating a joystick as in it can only tilt the stick so far and only tilts it while moving causing you to do a 1080 spin with a slow steady move and a 90 spin with a twitch. Steps taken since then. 1. remap controls 2. play in windowed maximized with Gamecompanion1.3 3. download autohotkey and "http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2197&highlight=nomousy" 4. download the 1080p resolution fix by Durante 5. ignored 6. lowered mouse sensitivity in windows and raised the in game setting 1-4 are fixable and 2 might not happen with your rig. 5 is cause the port was lazy but they did at least warn us on that one. If you are in the group that believes keyboards are always better than game-pads than i doubt you need tips anyway. 6 is the real issue but is workable with a little practice. This is not however, a perfect fix. Now that i have fixed most of the issues i would say its an ok port considering they were reluctant to give it and warned that it would not be good. My suggestion would be to pirate the game and decide if the mouse thing is workable for you and buy it afterwards knowing that you must go through 1-4 to make it work. Also yes I did buy the game and even though i have no gamepad to use I do not regret the buy.Mr_Ditters

Your suggestion is to pirate the game? Lovely.

I'm sure he meant before you actually buy it. Which, of course, is the whole point.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

tumblr_m82c4bdB301qehyiz.jpg