Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

So this Black Friday I am building me another PC with a 2990WX and either one or two 2080 TIs. Haven't decided if it is worth it yet to go with 2. I am going to be sticking it in a Corsair Obsidian 1000D case. I understand how to make custom cables for 24 pin, etc., however, I am curious on doing cables for the fans. In this case I am going to be placing 2 480 rads in the front with a push/pull configuration and a single 420 rad at the top with a push/pull configuration. Since this is going to have a bunch of fans in it (24 total fans), I want all of my wires to be the exact length so it isn't just a mess of wires. However, I am unsure what would be the best solution in changing the lengths of the wires on the fans. If the wires need to be shorter, I can snip them and place new pins on there which would be easy, however, if they need to be longer, should I either make fan extension cables, snip the wire and solder 22 gauge wire to it, or remove the wires from the fans and solder exact length wires to the fan?

If this is too special of a question for these forums, what other website should I go to, to get advice on this type of mods?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I hope it is for workstation purposes.

Redoing the length from the fan itself will probably give you the nicest looking result.

Though given push pull config. Why not have all fans on one radiator connect to a splitter so you run only one cable from each radiator to your motherboard or fan controller of choice?

In my experience, reducing the number of cables is the easiest way to reduce clutter when you got so many cables.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

I just use Cablemod. =D

Great website. Custom lengths, colors, everything and anything cable related. Good on you though for building your own custom cables. That's about the only part I don't really do myself when I build my PC's.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Diddies

@horgen said:

Redoing the length from the fan itself will probably give you the nicest looking result.

Though given push pull config. Why not have all fans on one radiator connect to a splitter so you run only one cable from each radiator to your motherboard or fan controller of choice?

In my experience, reducing the number of cables is the easiest way to reduce clutter when you got so many cables.

Because Corsair doesn't recommend these on a splitter and they will have their own RGB cable as well. So it will be two cables coming from one fan. And this PC will have way more to do than just gaming. lol

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Diddies

@joseph_mach said:

I just use Cablemod. =D

Great website. Custom lengths, colors, everything and anything cable related. Good on you though for building your own custom cables. That's about the only part I don't really do myself when I build my PC's.

CableMod doesn't really do fans, at least to my knowledge.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Diddies

I am going with something like this configuration. Since there are going to be so many cables, I have to make it look right.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@Diddies said:
@horgen said:

Because Corsair doesn't recommend these on a splitter and they will have their own RGB cable as well. So it will be two cables coming from one fan. And this PC will have way more to do than just gaming. lol

Which fans do you plan to use?

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Diddies

@horgen: either their LLbut probably their HD fans.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Diddies: I would advice you to stay away from 2080Ti for the time, lots of people complaining on forums that they see artifacts, GPU died, BSODs etc because of that card, get 2080 ATM or wait for official manufacturing fix.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
@horgen said:
@PredatorRules said:

@Diddies: I would advice you to stay away from 2080Ti for the time, lots of people complaining on forums that they see artifacts, GPU died, BSODs etc because of that card, get 2080 ATM or wait for official manufacturing fix.

Just a bad batch or two.

I wouldn't risk buying a 1000$ GPU that will die after a month or two / start showing artifacts and their only solution is to replace to brand new faulty 2080Ti.

I do have to say that most reports are from the Founder's Edition, while there're few from 3rd party brands like Asus and Gigabyte as well.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator

@PredatorRules said:

Just a bad batch or two.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#12  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@PredatorRules: Warranties exist for a reason. I would not deter him from purchasing 2080 Tis because some cards are faulty. He already has a 1080 Ti in his other build. 2080 Ti is the only logical upgrade.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
@BassMan said:

@PredatorRules: Warranties exist for a reason. I would not deter him from purchasing 2080 Tis because some cards are faulty. He already has a 1080 Ti in his other build. 2080 Ti is the only logical upgrade.

What's logical by upgrading to a faulty GPU? why not to wait for a fix? it's a waste of money IMO or at least a headache you're causing to yourself.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BassMan  Online

@PredatorRules: You talk as if it is a certainty that all 2080 Tis are going to die soon. Most 2080 Ti owners are not experiencing any issues. Let's not blow things out of proportion. I am enjoying my 2080 Ti and if it ends up having issues, I will deal with it. I am not too worried about it.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator
@BassMan said:

@PredatorRules: You talk as if it is a certainty that all 2080 Tis are going to die soon. Most 2080 Ti owners are not experiencing any issues. Let's not blow things out of proportion. I am enjoying my 2080 Ti and if it ends up having issues, I will deal with it. I am not too worried about it.

I'm talking as if Nvidia's forums are so flooded with 2080Ti's that show problems that some sites made an articles about it.

Just google "2080ti problems" and you'll see plenty of them.

I'm not the guy that's going to rip someone's gaming dreams but that doesn't mean I shouldn't warn or advice to wait for a factory fix.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BassMan  Online

@PredatorRules: I am aware of the problems. This is the internet and there are a lot of haters, people looking for attention, click bait articles, social media bandwagons, etc.. Things can get out of hand quick. Everyone I know who has a 2080 Ti has not had a problem. I have also not seen anyone on GS say they are having issues. So, it may be a higher percentage of cards than normal having issues (I really don't know), but it is not so widespread where it is a very high percentage of getting a shit card. Again, I would rather enjoy it with a chance of it pooping out (covered by warranty) than just sitting on the sidelines worrying about it and not enjoying the card. If there was no warranty, I would certainly think twice about the purchase.

Giving someone a heads up about the issues is good, but we don't know all the facts. If it was really so bad, Nvidia would be the most worried out of anybody. They have a lot riding on this RTX tech. They seem relatively calm about the issues and it is not just a matter of damage control. If it was so widespread, they would issue a recall as to not piss off a large percentage of customers unnecessarily.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@BassMan: Just pointing out that people received identical GPU as RMA solution.

I'm not saying that all RTX line up is faulty, but I'll be damn bumped if I'd had to deal with a patched solution rather than a fixed one.

But each to his own.

As for the @Diddies question

Why cutting the length of the cables? when you can see there's plenty of room for hiding them.

Wouldn't even bother changing the length since this is no whole clear case.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Diddies

@BassMan said:

@PredatorRules: I am aware of the problems. This is the internet and there are a lot of haters, people looking for attention, click bait articles, social media bandwagons, etc.. Things can get out of hand quick. Everyone I know who has a 2080 Ti has not had a problem. I have also not seen anyone on GS say they are having issues. So, it may be a higher percentage of cards than normal having issues (I really don't know), but it is not so widespread where it is a very high percentage of getting a shit card. Again, I would rather enjoy it with a chance of it pooping out (covered by warranty) than just sitting on the sidelines worrying about it and not enjoying the card. If there was no warranty, I would certainly think twice about the purchase.

Giving someone a heads up about the issues is good, but we don't know all the facts. If it was really so bad, Nvidia would be the most worried out of anybody. They have a lot riding on this RTX tech. They seem relatively calm about the issues and it is not just a matter of damage control. If it was so widespread, they would issue a recall as to not piss off a large percentage of customers unnecessarily.

And from my readings, it seems like it has been founder's cards. I probably wouldn't get those, but I may be wrong.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Diddies

@PredatorRules said:

I'm not saying that all RTX line up is faulty, but I'll be damn bumped if I'd had to deal with a patched solution rather than a fixed one.

But each to his own.

Why cutting the length of the cables? when you can see there's plenty of room for hiding them.

That is exactly what I want to avoid. That looks like a disaster, and maybe no one will see it, but I will definitely see it and know it is there. Just look at all that extra cables everywhere.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator

@PredatorRules said:

But each to his own.

That's the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case, isn't it? I have the older version, the Enthoo Evolv ATX.

@PredatorRules said:
@horgen said:
@PredatorRules said:

Just a bad batch or two.

I wouldn't risk buying a 1000$ GPU that will die after a month or two / start showing artifacts and their only solution is to replace to brand new faulty 2080Ti.

I do have to say that most reports are from the Founder's Edition, while there're few from 3rd party brands like Asus and Gigabyte as well.

You got poor consumer rights there? Here it would be no issue replacing it. Normally it is done within a week or two.

Also why does your response to my post show up before my response?

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Diddies

@horgen: No, That is the Corsair Obsidian 1000D case.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Diddies

@horgen: It looks like this...

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Diddies

And does anyone know of any big PC modding forums or websites where this can be discussed?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 horgen  Moderator

@Diddies said:

And does anyone know of any big PC modding forums or websites where this can be discussed?

Some subforum on reddit perhaps?

@Diddies said:

Nice case, but would personally have 2 or 3 220mm fans in front instead of 8 120mm fans. That case will be loud, even with the fans running at 800 rpm.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diddies

@horgen said:
@Diddies said:

Some subforum on reddit perhaps?

@Diddies said:

Nice case, but would personally have 2 or 3 220mm fans in front instead of 8 120mm fans. That case will be loud, even with the fans running at 800 rpm.

I wasn't able to find anything useful on reddit. That doesn't mean that it isn't there though. Also, I do not believe it would be too loud as it seems my GPU is the loudest thing in my case when I am gaming which is still really quiet.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator

@Diddies said:

I wasn't able to find anything useful on reddit. That doesn't mean that it isn't there though. Also, I do not believe it would be too loud as it seems my GPU is the loudest thing in my case when I am gaming which is still really quiet.

Personal experience with LD Cooling V8 and 3 480 radiators. 16 fans or so. You notice 16 fans at 800 rpm. Hell I want to lower the noise my current system uses and the loudest fan is in the PSU, EVGA G2 1300...

Do you plan on using aquaero 5 or 6 for monitoring water temperature and controlling fans? Or something similar?

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Diddies

@horgen said:
@Diddies said:

Personal experience with LD Cooling V8 and 3 480 radiators. 16 fans or so. You notice 16 fans at 800 rpm. Hell I want to lower the noise my current system uses and the loudest fan is in the PSU, EVGA G2 1300...

Do you plan on using aquaero 5 or 6 for monitoring water temperature and controlling fans? Or something similar?

The fans should be running through the Corsair Commander Pro which can do all this for controlling fans. Also, my PSU fan I do not believe has ever even kicked out. I may be wrong, but I go and try to clean out the dust filter on it and it is clean every time. I have a Corsair HX1000i

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 horgen  Moderator

@Diddies said:

The fans should be running through the Corsair Commander Pro which can do all this for controlling fans. Also, my PSU fan I do not believe has ever even kicked out. I may be wrong, but I go and try to clean out the dust filter on it and it is clean every time. I have a Corsair HX1000i

A more silent operating PSU than I got.

I don't know what you call a silent PC. Where your threshold is. So having 24 fans running at the same time at perhaps 800 rpm or whatever you feel comfortable with could be silent for you. Personally I'm chasing a quieter and quieter computer.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Diddies

@horgen: I don’t know either but my current setup is really quiet. My PSU doesn’t even ever kick on. I have 5 120 and 2 140 init and they are very quiet. The loudest part is when I game and the GPU kicks on which is pretty quiet. It will definitely be a big and fun experience.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 horgen  Moderator

@Diddies said:

@horgen: I don’t know either but my current setup is really quiet. My PSU doesn’t even ever kick on. I have 5 120 and 2 140 init and they are very quiet. The loudest part is when I game and the GPU kicks on which is pretty quiet. It will definitely be a big and fun experience.

Have fun building it :) Is it your first time with a custom loop?

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Diddies

@horgen: yes. This build that I have in my signature was my first. I built it before the 1080 Ti was out and it had a 1080 in there then I upgraded it when they were released. I have done tons of research over the last couple of years though. But still learning.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#32 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Diddies said:

I have 5 of the LL's in my matx case. They are NICE! Those fans cost $190 before tax, but they look great.

You would be spending like $950 on fans... But hey, you only live once!

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Diddies

@goldenelementxl: yea but for the price of the fans you could have an Xbox One X and a Switch. Lol

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Diddies

@goldenelementxl said:
@Diddies said:

I have 5 of the LL's in my matx case. They are NICE! Those fans cost $190 before tax, but they look great.

I also have a question about these fans. I have been talking to people as I want to do a push/pull configuration with these fans, but I was told you can't really see the RGB on the other side of the LL fans, so that is why I was thinking the HDs. Do you have a video or can you confirm about these?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Diddies said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Diddies said:

I also have a question about these fans. I have been talking to people as I want to do a push/pull configuration with these fans, but I was told you can't really see the RGB on the other side of the LL fans, so that is why I was thinking the HDs. Do you have a video or can you confirm about these?

I disagree. The fan blades are 100% visible regardless of which side you are looking at. The ring around the fan is much more pronounced from the front though.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Diddies

@goldenelementxl said:
@Diddies said:
@goldenelementxl said:
@Diddies said:

I disagree. The fan blades are 100% visible regardless of which side you are looking at. The ring around the fan is much more pronounced from the front though.

Well you have helped me make my decision as I was going to go with the HD fans, but didn't like them as much as these. Will be going with the LL fans then. Thank you for the pics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63d2876fd4204

@Diddies said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Well you have helped me make my decision as I was going to go with the HD fans, but didn't like them as much as these. Will be going with the LL fans then. Thank you for the pics.

Sorry for the shitty phone pics. I'm glad I could help!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

lol 24 fans?!?

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Diddies

@comp_atkins said:

lol 24 fans?!?

Yea...that is what I am going with. Going to try to push my 2990WX.