Crytek2 engine physics and 3000 exploding barrels

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_NocturN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 _NocturN_
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts

this awesome video

is worth a look, the explosion is beatiful

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

Simply awesome. My hgihest regard goes out to the creator.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

It'd be impressive if it actually ran that smooth.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jade_Monkey

Swiftstrike5

yeah but I can't hold it against crytek. Show me one other game where you can do that with those graphics ?

Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

That was awesome

tiiaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 tiiaan
Member since 2008 • 842 Posts
Kudos to the creator, that must have take him more than an entire day, i mean... 0.2 fps?
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#7 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
That was cool.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Swiftstrike5

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

Jade_Monkey

yeah but I can't hold it against crytek. Show me one other game where you can do that with those graphics ?

The game is has very impressive graphics with the CCC mod, but I see all these console games with destructible environments (BF:BC, Red Faction). I hope to see a better physics engine in the next installment of Crysis, especially some bullet penetration.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jade_Monkey

The game is has very impressive graphics with the CCC mod, but I see all these console games with destructible environments (BF:BC, Red Faction). I hope to see a better physics engine in the next installment of Crysis, especially some bullet penetration. Swiftstrike5

They aren't even in the same league as Crysis for Physics, not even close.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Swiftstrike5

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]The game is has very impressive graphics with the CCC mod, but I see all these console games with destructible environments (BF:BC, Red Faction). I hope to see a better physics engine in the next installment of Crysis, especially some bullet penetration. Jade_Monkey

They aren't even in the same league as Crysis for Physics, not even close.

Have you played either of them? I haven't. I just know from the videos you can do a lot more with the physics than Crysis. Blow a hole in a wall for a quick entrance? Doesn't really work with Crysis since the only destructible buildings are those shacks and towers. I'm not saying that the physics in Crysis aren't impressive, they should just keep moving forward with the engine. I'd expect to at least see bullet penetration (it should have been in the original).

IMO - Red Faction looks like it is going to destroy Crysis' physics, which is why I'd like to see them improve Crysis so It can continue to be the technical marvel it was a year ago.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

Crysis is more impressive considering there are more breakable objects on screen than any other game, especially considering you can cut down every tree with gun fire, and cut it into many smaller pieces. The only thing that is missing is yes, you guessed it, bullet penetration, which probably could be implemented with relative easy however there is so much else goin on in the game, such as the very well built AI, physics + interaction, environmental destruction, breakable buildings, hell Crysis even has a basic liquid simulation goin on when you shoot barrels full of oil. Call of Duty 4 ONLY has bullet penetration, no breakable objects. There are many physicallized objects in the environment, but still nothing to the extent of Crysis at max physics settings, and even still, STALKER Clear Sky puts Call of Duty 4's bullet penetration to shame considering that game has realistic ballistics & bullet deflection as well as bullet penetration. At night in the game you can see bullet tracers penetrate through a tree, and come out the back falling to the ground from the deceleration of going through the trunk. And this is for every bullet in the game, not just yours, or only your enemy's. Every bullet fired has velocity, ballistic arc, deceleration, material penetration calculated.

But in Crysis, there is just so much you can mess around with and pick up, it's insane. Red Faction 2's system is probably built on "blocks" and not completely procedural as to certainly lighten the processing load. Also I have to note that Crysis' Physic system is pretty efficient, runs well on dual cores though quad cores certainly benefit from mass scale physics like in the 3000 barrells video, which the video is not generated in real time but is rendered one frame at a time to ensure smooth video playback. It's an option in the CryEngine 2.0 sandbox. It's a handy feature for making nice, frame-lagless videos. Oh did I mention all the other things also running outside of physics? It's quite mindboggling:P There is alot more to game orchestration that just physics, ALOT more. In CS:Source, the AI is actually more of a burden on the CPU than the ragdoll physics of dead bodies.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Swiftstrike5

You can't cut down every tree. Only the palm trees and the smaller trees. Crysis' physics is selective on what's destructable and most of it poses no gameplay changes what-so-ever. I am impressed that you can interact with the branches that you break, but honestly, that's one thing in the entire game. I'll probably never use it either.

Enviroment like water and debri is fine, but they definitely need to add bullet penetration and more destruction, instead of the selective destruction that's currently in the game. I mean, some points look really good (like they shoot off parts of a wooden fence), but some areas need major improvement. When you take down a tower, it honestly doesn't look that realistic at all. It's like a certain damage point unlinks all the objects. You shoot out one support and the others magically come unwelded.

Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts

Yeah you're right about certain trees being breakable, I forgot totally about that, but even RF2 uses a form of selective structure it seems. But I've stated before, Crysis has more goin on overall. I bet RF2 physics and destructibility are using most of the CPU resources, unlike Crysis where it's more balanced. Also you have to note the actual environment being played out here. Not considering the AI, or current interaction at that point, there is much more selective objects to mess around with in Crysis at one given point. Even as impressive as RF2's destruction engine is, I already said it before, Crysis has much more goin on outside of physics and interaction. The environment orchestration is the best I've seen in game, with twitching leaves, some wind effects. Making every viewable tree, the twigs, the bushes, and grass within a nomical distance all shake and twitch at their own frequency and rate is a very impressive feature, because it looks natural. Something that can totally break a game's immersion is how the environment carry's itself out on it's own either poorly or naturally. There just seems to be a real artistry about the environmental design and programming in Crysis. it's very excellent. They use their resources well and make the most of them. I don't care what people think about Crysis, I think it's a very well programmed and efficient engine for what it does, especially for how it looks.