Crysis 3 launched this week 4 years ago. Crytek now in shambles. What went wrong and what they need to do to fix it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

Poll Crysis 3 launched this week 4 years ago. Crytek now in shambles. What went wrong and what they need to do to fix it? (19 votes)

1. Go back to their roots, focus on PC Gaming and PC Centric development. 42%
2. Close down their other studios. 5%
Go back to PC Centric Development, shut down all their other studios and leave with only one or two studios. 53%

Ahh Crytek the creators of the Crysis which was the poster boy of PC Gaming and PC Graphics is now no where near the level they were 5, even 4 years ago. This week marks 4 years since their last AAA title Crysis 3 hit the market. The only games they have released over the last couple of years was Ryse: Son of Rome which wasn’t that great and a couple of forgettable VR Titles like the latest The Climb and Robinson: The Journey. It’s been 4 years and no major AAA Ttile. What’s even worse they are losing talent and according GS Article they haven’t even payed their current employees for 6 months which is ridiculous. One of their top graphics guys Tiago Sousa who was the Lead R&D Graphics Engineer at Crytek left to work at ID (coincidence that Doom looks so good). Which begs the question. What went wrong? Me personally, thinks they abandoned PC Gamers and PC Centric development. When Far Cry came out on the PC it pushed PC technology. One of the First Games to use Pixel Shader 3.0 and it’s use of HDR. I remember I couldn’t run Far Cry with HDR on my GeForce 4 64MB DDR but once I switched to GeForce 7600GT which supported HDR and Pixel Shader 3.0 you could see the instant difference with the water and the HDR the game looked significantly better. With Crysis they even raised the bar even more. Although, I couldn’t run the game maxed out I still pre-ordered it and when I did build a new rig the year after Crysis came out I was in awe of it’s graphics on my HD 4870. I remember so much hype in the PC Gaming Community with the release of Crysis, even the $600 GeForce 8800 GTX Ultra couldn’t max out Crysis. I remember drooling over screenshots of the game prior to the games release and where people were trying to extract every last juice out of their PC so they could play Crysis at the best possible settings. There was a lot of excitement of PC Gaming forums about people’s hardware and trying to max out Crysis (great times). With Crysis Warhead which was another PC Centric game, the game was an excellent follow up to Crysis. I think the problem started with Crysis 2 which they dumbed it down and focused on Console Development first instead of PC first. Although, the game got better looking as it progressed it nowhere set the bar like the original Crysis and it now had competition from DICE with BF3 with the new Frostbite Engine which looked as good if not better then Crysis 2. By the time Crysis 3 came out, although the graphics were better the game was never as good as it’s predecessor. It turned into another corridor type shooter, I still have the game just didn’t find it interesting enough to finish it which says a lot about how far it fell coming from a guy who pre-ordered the original Crysis.

Also, add to the fact that they went a spree of opening studios in USA, UK, Turkey, Ukraine and even some staff in South Korea and adding all that financial burden didn’t help. I am like what where they thinking opening up all those studios? So, in my opinon it was a mix of abandoning PC Gamers and pushing PC Graphics and PC Centric development combined with the fact that they opened up too many studios without the financial resources to back it up is what is causing their current predicament. Seriously, they are now focusing on VR Games? Don’t they realize that it’s a niche market and they aren’t going to enough funds generated to pay off all the costs of their studios.

What they need to do now is go back to their roots and only have one or two studios instead of like half a dozen all over the world and focusing on making another hit Crysis title that is NOT console centric but PC Focused and then dumb that game down for the consoles. And for those who say PC Focus development will not sell need I remind you Crysis and Crysis Warhed sold Millions and was enough to continue to develop more PC Centric games. It’s just that they decided to get greedy and focused less on quality and console centric development and making stupid business decisions like opening up too many studios, acquiring gaming assessts which they can’t afford or use and selling them (Homefront anyone) is what caused their current financial issues.

So, what do you guys got to say?

• 
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#1 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

I say you should stop making duplicate threads in both System Wars and PC section. You should also ask AMD for a raise.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

I didn't read a word you said but the thread title. Crysis is awesome we all know that. What went wrong is they went f2p got broke, and is hanging on by vr. Shit happens.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@BassMan said:

I say you should stop making duplicate threads in both System Wars and PC section. You should also ask AMD for a raise.

People who visits the PC section doesn't visits SW. And what does this thread have to do with AMD? Since you seem to have a reading comprehension fail we are talking about Crytek and NOT AMD. Crytek is a gaming company and we are discussing what needs to happen for Crytek to get back on it's feet. WTF does this have to with AMD? Please tell me what you are smoking?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BassMan

@Xtasy26 said:
@BassMan said:

People who visits the PC section doesn't visits SW. And what does this thread have to do with AMD? Since you seem to have a reading comprehension fail we are talking about Crytek and NOT AMD. Crytek is a gaming company and we are discussing what needs to happen for Crytek to get back on it's feet. WTF does this have to with AMD? Please tell me what you are smoking?

I am just sick of your duplicate threads and your AMD bullshit in general. You asked what we got to say and that is what I got to say. LOL

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Overall Crytek didn't have much original games to begin with, their greatest breakthrough was original Crysis which I still consider as a new better edition of Far Cry Instincts.

All copy enchance aside they didn't come up with new good games, maybe they've invested most of their money on their game engine - who knows? selling their engine to studios which result in failing games (mostly) and their engine for rent was higher than the popular Unreal engine.

Now they're hanging on single VR title - don't know if too soon or not but I guess it's going to be the first full VR game, maybe if Valve will release their games first then Crytek game will have more potential buyers.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 couly
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts

They lost me at "Crysis 3 is our masterpiece"

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@BassMan: its just pc gaming. calm down

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

1 studio and return to their roots a great fps with outstanding bgm ( if they still have the rights to the origianl score from crysis and crysis warhead they should use them) and graphics

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

They should close up shop or focus exclusively on engine development. Whoever managed the business or was the "lead" made an endless series of bad decisions. I think it was that one guy...we all know who I'm talking about. The dude obviously was just disconnected from the world around him. Crysis 1 sold extremely well given the circumstances surrounding that game...and what does he do? Literally cry about piracy (putting the cry in Crysis) and then tailor their next game for consoles. **** them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#11 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Loved FC and the Crysis games. They can only milk that type of game and engine so much though. Cut the fat, go back to a couple studios, and make a game....

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

sell ryse to microsoft.

pay their employees.

reduce the number of teams while adding some employees to other teams

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@Xtasy26: That same with PC & A/V Hardware forums.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xtasy26

@BassMan said:
@Xtasy26 said:
@BassMan said:

I am just sick of your duplicate threads and your AMD bullshit in general. You asked what we got to say and that is what I got to say. LOL

You are psychotic. This thread is NOT about AMD, it's about Crytek. You need serious help. I post on SW because not everybody goes there and it's gaming related. If you don't like then stop posting.

Seriously,

@KHAndAnime said:

They should close up shop or focus exclusively on engine development. Whoever managed the business or was the "lead" made an endless series of bad decisions. I think it was that one guy...we all know who I'm talking about. The dude obviously was just disconnected from the world around him. Crysis 1 sold extremely well given the circumstances surrounding that game...and what does he do? Literally cry about piracy (putting the cry in Crysis) and then tailor their next game for consoles. **** them.

I suspect if there is one person that the blame would go around it would be Cevat. Seriously, when Crysis launched he was expecting Halo 3 type sales? How is that possible when a $600 8800 GTX couldn't max that game out at 900P let alone 1080P. He should have looked at quality over quantity. Crysis was a much better game than Halo 3.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BassMan

@Xtasy26 said:
@BassMan said:
@Xtasy26 said:
@BassMan said:

You are psychotic. This thread is NOT about AMD, it's about Crytek. You need serious help. I post on SW because not everybody goes there and it's gaming related. If you don't like then stop posting.

I never said the thread was about AMD. I had already replied in the System Wars thread. I just posted in this one because it was a duplicate thread and it is annoying to follow two different threads. I also used the opportunity to call you out on the AMD bullshit. Again, you asked what we had to say, and that is what I had to say. You are the one that needs serious help with the AMD bullshit (not related to this thread).

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Weren't Crytek suspected of doing some dodgy or illegal recently?

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _SKatEDiRt_

Crysis looked good but why are you able to hear your enemy getting hit with (what sounds like punching a leather jacket) with your bullets and how unrealistic the combat felt.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

"IN SHAMBLES" lol are you serious. They just got a $500,000,000 investment from their government. If half a billion dollars is "in shambles" I wanna be in shambles too!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

Crysis looked good but why are you able to hear your enemy getting hit with (what sounds like punching a leather jacket) with your bullets and how unrealistic the combat felt.

The same reason why enemies can be seen through walls, have little triangles above their heads to show that they've been tagged, and almost every game has a minimap/GPS that magically shows where the bad guys are. It's a sickness of the last couple of gens. Even RPGs (with a medieval setting) have them. How silly does that sound? It's like a jet fighter cockpit.

But, if I can turn them off, I have no complaints.

That sound in Crysis is to let you know a head shot was successful. It's also one of those where the HUD can be turned off via console command.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _SKatEDiRt_

@jun_aka_pekto: it was god aweful

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@jun_aka_pekto: it was god aweful

I thought Crysis was pretty fun with the HUD turned off and playing the game without cloaking.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 _SKatEDiRt_

@jun_aka_pekto: I will give that a try

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xtasy26

@BassMan said:
@Xtasy26 said:
@BassMan said:
@Xtasy26 said:
@BassMan said:

I never said the thread was about AMD. I had already replied in the System Wars thread. I just posted in this one because it was a duplicate thread and it is annoying to follow two different threads. I also used the opportunity to call you out on the AMD bullshit. Again, you asked what we had to say, and that is what I had to say. You are the one that needs serious help with the AMD bullshit (not related to this thread).

You brought up AMD on a thread that has nothing to do with AMD to "used the opportunity to call you out on the AMD bullshit". What kind of psychotic individual does that? What does this thread have anything to do with AMD and why are you using this thread to talk about AMD for which I only stated facts. You are messed up in the head. I posted on SW because not everybody posts on SW posts on PC Gaming forums and vice versa. All you had to "say" on this thread was random nonsense about AMD which is not even the topic of conversation on this thread. Get serious help.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Xtasy26

@saintsatan said:

"IN SHAMBLES" lol are you serious. They just got a $500,000,000 investment from their government. If half a billion dollars is "in shambles" I wanna be in shambles too!

Well good for them. I think Germany is trying to help out Crytek because there are not too many AAA German game developers compared to America.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

they need to make games that are not just technically good but actually have a fun storyline and gameplay.

I've never played Crysis 2, but i've played the original and also Crysis 3 and they are boring games. They are really well optimized but aren't fun at all, and they should be a lot more fun since you do have a cool powersuit, but the games have no personality at all. I just played Crysis 3 just a couple months back because i feared it would suck like the first game, and ya it pretty much did.

A game can be so much improved if it just has a bit of classic well thought out characters put into it, but this game has nothing, i felt nothing playing it. Quit playing it after a few hours. Knowing the original, I'm sure im missing out on the most amazing ending in any game ever but i couldn't push myself though it anymore.