Cryptocurrency is a legitimate threat to PC gaming

  • 71 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for NoodleFighter
#51 Edited by NoodleFighter (9601 posts) -

@UssjTrunks: But AMD could release more powerful cards or make theirs even cheaper in attempt to undercut Nvidia's miner sales which can kick Nvidia in the butt and get them to release new GPUs.

Avatar image for johnserverblend
#52 Posted by JohnServerBlend (3 posts) -

I noticed prive rises.

Avatar image for speedytimsi
#53 Edited by speedytimsi (622 posts) -

Was really contemplating to sell my gtx 1080 for some profit just for this craze...

But then again i would have to use a 1050 for backup :/

and that's not even easy to find considering Best Buy is also scalping (went from $160 to @$250) as of now.

Avatar image for UssjTrunks
#54 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-07/get-ready-for-most-cryptocurrencies-to-hit-zero-goldman-says

Miners have already started selling their cards. Looks like this mining wave is over.

GPU prices should be back to normal in a few weeks (the market getting flooded with second hand GPUs will help drive down prices on new stock quickly).

Thank you to China for blocking access to all crytpocurrency exchange sites, and to all the other governments who implemented or talked about implementing some kind of regulations. You saved PC gaming!

Avatar image for attirex
#55 Posted by attirex (1390 posts) -

Sweet.

Avatar image for space_cadets1
#56 Posted by Space_Cadets1 (6 posts) -

thank goodness this silliness is ending.

Avatar image for attirex
#57 Posted by attirex (1390 posts) -

It ain't over. Nvidia and AMD are apparently selling GPU *bundles* of six cards. And saw another article about crypto market spiking again a couple of nights ago.

Avatar image for mirgamer
#58 Posted by mirgamer (2454 posts) -

@FelipeInside said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@FelipeInside said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@attirex said:

Vague reassurances from Nvidia?

LINK

Just PR bullshit. If they really cared, they would limit the sale of consumer GPUs to businesses. This is how organizations manage supply shortages. You make specific products for business and prevent them from buying the consumer product because they'll cause a shortage in the market. Nvidia and AMD don't give a shit though.

I was reading a comment in an article today and some mining asshole who was defending the practice had a warehouse with 2304 GPUs dedicated to crypto mining. Then we wonder why they are out of stock everywhere. That's like the quarterly stock of GPUs in all of Canada. No wonder that shit is sold out everywhere. **** these losers and **** Nvidia/AMD for abandoning their core customer base for a quick buck. I hope it comes back to bite them in the ass. Not only are they starting to lose customers to consoles, but the GPU market will also go to shit when those mining assholes flood it with used GPUs not too long from now (another consequence of selling consumer products to businesses).

Wait a second. So miners buy thousands of cards and the GPU companies can't keep up with demand but you blame the GPU companies for it ?

They're the ones selling to miners. You can restrict the sale of consumer parts to businesses if you want to.

And they also (understandably) aren't bothering to increase production.

The ball is in their court.

"They're the ones selling to miners. You can restrict the sale of consumer parts to businesses if you want to."

Well yeah, if someone orders video cards from NVIDIA/ATI then they are going to sell them. How do they know they are miners? And also they sell to video card manufacturers that then sell to retail shops, not directly to consumers.

Its easy to know. They buy in bulk at RIDICULOUS prices.

But I dont blame Nvidia or AMD for selling, they are making a killing right now.

Anyway, this situation is a fucking mess. It will not stop until the bubble pops (which is not that promising) or either Nvidia/AMD or some really forward thinking company makes a realy specialised mining card thats even better than GPUs.

Until, its shite for gamers. Nvidia/AMD KNOW that gamers will still be there when this crypto thingie ends so right now they are content to keep the situation as it is. They don't give a shit, honestly.

Avatar image for attirex
#59 Edited by attirex (1390 posts) -

They def don't give a shit. And the history of biz is littered with failed companies that abandoned their bread and butter customers for the short-term big-and-shiny big grab.

Avatar image for UssjTrunks
#60 Posted by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -
@attirex said:

It ain't over. Nvidia and AMD are apparently selling GPU *bundles* of six cards. And saw another article about crypto market spiking again a couple of nights ago.

That was a quick bounce back. :(

Avatar image for UssjTrunks
#61 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

@mirgamer said:
@FelipeInside said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@FelipeInside said:

Wait a second. So miners buy thousands of cards and the GPU companies can't keep up with demand but you blame the GPU companies for it ?

They're the ones selling to miners. You can restrict the sale of consumer parts to businesses if you want to.

And they also (understandably) aren't bothering to increase production.

The ball is in their court.

"They're the ones selling to miners. You can restrict the sale of consumer parts to businesses if you want to."

Well yeah, if someone orders video cards from NVIDIA/ATI then they are going to sell them. How do they know they are miners? And also they sell to video card manufacturers that then sell to retail shops, not directly to consumers.

Its easy to know. They buy in bulk at RIDICULOUS prices.

But I dont blame Nvidia or AMD for selling, they are making a killing right now.

Anyway, this situation is a fucking mess. It will not stop until the bubble pops (which is not that promising) or either Nvidia/AMD or some really forward thinking company makes a realy specialised mining card thats even better than GPUs.

Until, its shite for gamers. Nvidia/AMD KNOW that gamers will still be there when this crypto thingie ends so right now they are content to keep the situation as it is. They don't give a shit, honestly.

Our only hope is government regulation. Global crypto mining currently uses more electricity than the entire country of Serbia. It will use more power than the entire US in 2019, and it will double global energy consumption by 2020.

Iceland is already using more energy mining crypto than powering their homes.

This is an unsustainable trajectory, and governments will have to step in eventually. Either they will raise energy prices, hurting everyone because of a few greedy assholes, or they will ban/heavily tax crypto earnings so that mining becomes less profitable.

Some reading on the topic:

https://www.wired.com/story/bitcoin-mining-guzzles-energyand-its-carbon-footprint-just-keeps-growing/

https://www.wired.com/story/bitcoin-global-warming/

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/11/iceland-use-energy-mining-bitcoin-powering-homes-year-7304155/

Avatar image for flashn00b
#62 Posted by flashn00b (3549 posts) -

At this point, I can only hope that the RX Vega M powered Intel Core processors will make their way to desktop machines. After all, wasn't the cryptocurrency thing why AMD approached Intel in the first place?

Avatar image for attirex
#63 Posted by attirex (1390 posts) -

Well, at least we have each other.

C'mon, let's have a group hug!

Avatar image for UssjTrunks
#64 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

@attirex said:

Well, at least we have each other.

C'mon, let's have a group hug!

It's been a month since I've seriously played any games on my PC. I can play games on low/medium settings on my backup GTX 660, but that's not the same. :(

So much for Nvidia "working hard to increase GPU supply".

Avatar image for attirex
#65 Edited by attirex (1390 posts) -

Sad.

Good news is...after 1.5 years, I finally got my Nvidia settlement check ftw! $60 cha-ching...guess I'll buy a game.

Avatar image for UssjTrunks
#66 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

Finally scooped up a 1080 from the Geforce store at MSRP. If I wasn't at home, I would have missed it again (sold out in less than 5 minutes).

Avatar image for Johnny-n-Roger
#67 Edited by Johnny-n-Roger (15146 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

I suspect this whole thing postpones the launch of Volta as well. If Pascal cards are still selling like hotcakes, it gives Nvidia no reason to release their next series. The Vega cards from AMD were a joke, so there is no immediate threat from competitors. AMD doesn't have any problem with this series of events either since their cards are selling like hotcakes too.

AMD might not want to alter their course because ETH can literally become worthless overnight, and multi GPU rigs will not be worth the power required to operate them. Not having a superior or even competative retail product on the market when said market is flooded with used GPUs could be disastrous. They're kind of in a bind here because while sales are good, the instability of the market isn't.

Avatar image for urbangamez
#68 Edited by urbangamez (3302 posts) -

well it is temporarily, I say that because the current situation is not in the best interest of amd and nvidia because the lions share of the profits goes to the retailers and aib partners, secondly when they make newer gpu's such as volta, the market is gonna be flooded with sales of used gpu's so they have to hope that miners will gobble up a significant amount of the new cards to offset low demand caused by gamers purchasing used cards. even then retailers are still gonna make huge profits witness newegg and the debacle with the new ryzen apu.

Avatar image for mirgamer
#69 Posted by mirgamer (2454 posts) -

@urbangamez said:

well it is temporarily, I say that because the current situation is not in the best interest of amd and nvidia because the lions share of the profits goes to the retailers and aib partners, secondly when they make newer gpu's such as volta, the market is gonna be flooded with sales of used gpu's so they have to hope that miners will gobble up a significant amount of the new cards to offset low demand caused by gamers purchasing used cards. even then retailers are still gonna make huge profits witness newegg and the debacle with the new ryzen apu.

As some have pointed out, the smart thing to do is to postpone the release of the next gen cards and let the status quo remain a while longer, profiting as much as they can.

Avatar image for adamosmaki
#70 Posted by adamosmaki (10588 posts) -

@ArchoNils2 said:

GPUs selling well is bad for gamers? This only shows, that there is demand which will lead to a higher production in the future and hopefully faster development in the hardware. Sure it sucked I had to wait 2 weeks for my Aorus GTX 1080 Ti, but I survived it

no GPUs selling well is all good and everything but the problem is in the short term we facing gpu shortages and the situation isnt likely to change even though gpu sales are through the roof because cryptocurrency mining is a volatile market and in turn gpu manufacturers are hesitant about increasing production so everyone really loses here.

Avatar image for UssjTrunks
#71 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

@mirgamer said:
@urbangamez said:

well it is temporarily, I say that because the current situation is not in the best interest of amd and nvidia because the lions share of the profits goes to the retailers and aib partners, secondly when they make newer gpu's such as volta, the market is gonna be flooded with sales of used gpu's so they have to hope that miners will gobble up a significant amount of the new cards to offset low demand caused by gamers purchasing used cards. even then retailers are still gonna make huge profits witness newegg and the debacle with the new ryzen apu.

As some have pointed out, the smart thing to do is to postpone the release of the next gen cards and let the status quo remain a while longer, profiting as much as they can.

Rumour is Ampere is getting revealed in April and it will just be a Pascal refresh. They seem to be saving Volta for 2019/2020.