Crossing into Guild Wars... Is it too late?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 vogen
Member since 2005 • 104 Posts

So I have a friend that plays Guild wars, and he strongly suggested that I should play it.

However, through research I found that Guild wars 2 was due to come out at the end of this year or early next. This leads me to wonder if I should invest the near $100 it would take to buy all the expansions. I would hate to invest in this game, to hardly be able to enjoy the MMO experience, when all of a sudden all the players switch to GW2. Leaving me with nothing.

I was just wondering about the opinions of others as to whether it is a decent investment to go ahead and spend $100 dollars for the whole set. Or whether I should invest in somethings better (such as a pre-order on GTA 4)

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
Gw2 is still far away, I am ready to say 1 year. GW is one of the best online game on the market and I am pretty sure the goty version that include the first 3 chapters can be found for 50$ or less. And btw, no worry, I don't think everyone will switch to gw2 when it come out. Like Lineage 1 and 2, gw1 and gw 2 are 2 completly different game and you can be sure that a sizeable portion of the community will stay in gw1, just to keep their character alive and keep their friend/guild/item etc...
vogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 vogen
Member since 2005 • 104 Posts
I haven't seen the GotY edition for guild wars. Is it already out? I am going to check it out on amazon now. But if it isn't out, when does it come out?? I would like to start playing soon..
eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 eva89
Member since 2004 • 807 Posts
not much ppl left playing ....sometimes it will be hard to find party for certain quest or mission
Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serial-No_3404
Member since 2007 • 2876 Posts
if you have several friends playing then go for it....i have several friends that play....they are pressuring me to buy one so we can all play together....but im saving up for a 360...hehehe
Atman_Do

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Atman_Do
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts

Guild Wars is fun, but it does get old unusually fast for an online game. It was never able to hook me as much as even a simple game like Diablo 2 was.

I think my biggest problem with the PvE on it is that you can zerg most of it with henchman and hardly even try. I also don't like how there are so many highly specialized skills while you only get 8 skill slots. I feel like I always have these ideas for cool builds, but you can't actually do them. Guild Wars aimed to be very grind free...and it shows, because there isn't really much to find in the way of items after you are level 20, which doesn't take long. It ends up leaving you wondering exactly what it is you are trying to work towards half of the time, unlike most games of this type.

Yeah, that sounds very negative. Like I said, it is fun for a while, but unless you really, really dig the PvP (and I don't), it gets boring pretty quickly.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
You've got at least a year till GW2 hits shelves. $100 over a year is nothing, so I'd say go for it. It's still going strong as far as I know.
Serial-No_3404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Serial-No_3404
Member since 2007 • 2876 Posts
you dont even have to get all of them....you can just get one and spend if you want more of the guild wars fix
Grim_Wolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Grim_Wolf88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts
I would get GW: Prophecies and GW:EotN for sure. The story in GW:2 is a continuance of these. But it is hard to find a party anymore.
AnotherKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 AnotherKill
Member since 2007 • 1341 Posts

I haven't seen the GotY edition for guild wars. Is it already out? I am going to check it out on amazon now. But if it isn't out, when does it come out?? I would like to start playing soon..vogen

There's the Platinum Edition that comes with the Eye of The North and Prophecies Campaign(very first one)

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I played hella Guild Wars (I want to say 300 hours or so :P) and I barely touched the PVP, lol. I like that you can do a lot of the stuff with henchies and only the especially difficult missions actually require people. It's solid, it's free, and other than not being able to jump it rocks out loud. I say go for it.
lucky326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lucky326
Member since 2006 • 3799 Posts
It is one of my favourite PC games. I recconmend you pick up a campaign and if possible the expansion.