skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

When I play games CPU fan throttling and CPU temp is above 100C and crashes. CPU fan throttles even on web pages. Graphic card really bad coil wine when gaming even at lower settings. All this started at same time. Its only just over 3 years old too but cant be bothered to take it in to be fixed as it would cost a bit and might as well buy new and have a nice CPU what has more then 4 core.

I do like intel better then AMD but with AMD with there new CPU just around the corner in summer is it best to wait or buy a new PC now if going with intel?.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

What are the specifications of your system?... Also what CPU cooler are you using, all of that happening at once is odd and I've never come across that before.

Usually CPU's stay at the same temps as the day you put it together from my experience, so maybe its always been bad and you just noticed it now?... I went 4 years with a TX3 Evo cooler on a i5 without replacing the thermal paste.

Specifications and it would be even better with a picture of the internals and then someone can make a better judgement of what could of went wrong.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Have you cleaned out the case, there might just be a lot of dust.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

There's no way your CPU should get anywhere near that. Yikes.

I've never heard of such a thing, but combined with the coil whine I'm wondering if there's something wrong with your PSU, delivering more voltage than there should be to the mobo or something...

I assume you didn't remove the heat-sink and put it back on at some point

Agree with Grey Eyed Elf, we'd need a lot more info about your setup to go beyond spitballing

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skipper847

@xantufrog said:

There's no way your CPU should get anywhere near that. Yikes.

I've never heard of such a thing, but combined with the coil whine I'm wondering if there's something wrong with your PSU, delivering more voltage than there should be to the mobo or something...

I assume you didn't remove the heat-sink and put it back on at some point

Agree with Grey Eyed Elf, we'd need a lot more info about your setup to go beyond spitballing

Yeah that another thing some times keyboard and mouse doesnt work or light up too so it could be PSU.

My PC

I7 6700k 4.0ghz oc to 4.5ghz. Staff overclocked it at shop. Overclockers uk.

Kingston Fury Black 16GB

KFA2 EX OC1080G

Samsung PM951 256GB M.2 PCI-eTX

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Midi Tower Case

Cant remember what CPU fan i have as it doesnt say for some reason where i got it from but its quite big. I will have to search for box.

I was playing AC Origins and had the graph open for CPU temp and be for it crashed it was at 95C.

:(

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@skipper847:

If its from overclockers then I am certain they wouldn't apply a overclock unless it was stable with good temps... Also the issues do seem to be power supply related but it doesn't explain the temps.

Do the following things...

• Check to see if all the power cables are in properly
  • Clean case/fans and radiators or heat-sink from dust

If temps still are high and the power issues persist:

• Re-apply thermal paste and re-seat the AIO/Heatsink
  • Swap the PSU if you have a spare one or know anyone who can lend you one just to see if the PSU is the bad apple

Its a little weird that a bad PSU would affect CPU temps to that degree.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

If you have an aio then the pump may be dead, if your seeing those types of temps.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts
@npiet1 said:

Have you cleaned out the case, there might just be a lot of dust.

This. Then reseat the cooler if it doesn't fix it. Though you'd have to be pretty clogged up to reduce the efficiency of the cooler that much.

@04dcarraher said:

If you have an aio then the pump may be dead, if your seeing those types of temps.

Also this. You can check the pump speed in the bios if your motherboard has a pump header.

As for the coil whine. What PSU/GPU do you have? I've found that higher quality PSU are less prone to cause coil whine in the GPU or wherever it occurs.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

If any CPU reaches 100C either the CPU fan /pump isn't working or the heatsink / pump got disconnected from the CPU socket.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skipper847

Well I formatted it and today I'm going to take out the Graphic card and clean everything. If worst comes to worse I will send it to Overclockers and pay for them giving it a check and ask them to replace the paste on CPU. I dont have much confidence taking the CPU fan off and applying the paste my self. The only thing is its £50 just to send it in that why I thought of just getting a new PC.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By skipper847

On core temp 1.13 everything looks fine on idle now.

Tj. MAX:100c

All cores around 45c up and down a couple. Min all cores 41c Max 75c where core 3 is 78c.

Playing Fallout 4 max temp is 85 on core 0 and rest is 80c. I will test AC origins which is game where it started.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
@skipper847 said:

On core temp 1.13 everything looks fine on idle now.

Tj. MAX:100c

All cores around 45c up and down a couple. Min all cores 41c Max 75c where core 3 is 78c.

Playing Fallout 4 max temp is 85 on core 0 and rest is 80c. I will test AC origins which is game where it started.

Those aren't normal temps; about removing CPU cooler and reapplying thermal paste - there're lots of YouTube videos for that.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skipper847

@PredatorRules: Ah so there is something wrong some where?.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@skipper847: you really shouldn't get anywhere near 78c. I've been gaming all morning at 4K with just a fan-cooled heat sink (hyper 212 evo; $30) and my i5 6500 never hit 40c. You can expect higher, but...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator
@skipper847 said:

@PredatorRules: Ah so there is something wrong some where?.

Read my previous post.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Well I formatted it and today I'm going to take out the Graphic card and clean everything. If worst comes to worse I will send it to Overclockers and pay for them giving it a check and ask them to replace the paste on CPU. I dont have much confidence taking the CPU fan off and applying the paste my self. The only thing is its £50 just to send it in that why I thought of just getting a new PC.

I highly recommend trying it yourself. I know it sounds complicated, but honestly it is not. Unless you got the Intel original CPU fan, there are four screws to remove. Check a youtube video. From cheap air coolers to expensive custom liquid cooling loops, removing the CPU cooler is almost identical. Recommend setting the computer up so the mobo is horisontal, not vertical.

To remove old paste use isopropanol for example. I think nail polish remover works, as well as almost all anti-bac you can buy. Going to a computer store for something to remove the paste is expensive. For example I can get some ArctiClean 30mL for 95kr (equivalent of 9.5$), while a bottle, 1000 mL, at the gas station with isopropanol cost me 169kr (17$). It will come of easily and you don't have to worry about spilling a few drops on the rest of your hardware because you used to much. It doesn't damage your electronics.

Applying new paste is simple. The amount equals a couple of rice grains in the middle. Some prefer to use a card (like debit or credit card) to smear it out over the CPU, but simply re-seating the CPU cooler will do that itself. As for the screws. Tighten them in a cross section manner... Eh the ones that are diagonally opposite.

First time you might use 15-20 minutes on it. When you have done it a couple of times, it is done in the matter of minutes.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skipper847

Hi all thanks for replies and going to do what you said and apply more thermal paste. Ive not been on a game yet but have installed uply and even just discovering files for AC origins core 1 and 2 reached 85c according to cpu core temp 1.13. Also CPU fan randomly kicks in on full even with nothing on and just on desk top. I have checked all cables and seem fine and also all fans are spinning on case and card. As said I just get the bad coil wine on the card in games. I will test AC origins later to see if it crashes again.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skipper847

How reliable is CPU core temp 1.13 as the PC this morning been on for about 30mins and max temp is.

Core #0: 95C

Core #1: 96C

Core #2: 92C

Core #3 87C

That's the max core all cores average now about 52C to 57C on idle.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I'm using hwinfo to track my cpu. Definitely try reseating your cpu, my temperatures dropped from 50c to 28c idle due to it being loose, I know my case isn't the same as yours, but it can make a big deal the two surface and thermal paste isn't getting a clean close contact.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@skipper847: Everytime you take of the cooler, you should change the paste. You might have airbubbles in it now if you reseated it with old paste.

@Bikouchu35 said:

I'm using hwinfo to track my cpu. Definitely try reseating your cpu, my temperatures dropped from 50c to 28c idle due to it being loose, I know my case isn't the same as yours, but it can make a big deal the two surface and thermal paste isn't getting a clean close contact.

Reseat CPU or CPU cooler? I can't see why reseating the CPU itself should make a difference.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By skipper847

Hi. Well yesterday I got some paste from my local pc repair shop in town where I live. I tried unscrewing screws to cooler but as seen I get the shakes I stoped as screws where going every where and I didn’t want to damage the mother board. I’ve took the pc in to repair shop and said what was wrong. At this point even in the bios was 89c and as said it has reached 100c some how. I looked and all wires seemed to be in my place so don’t no why it getting so hot.

Using iPhone to write this so if spelling even worse then normal I apologise lol

I wasn’t getting the shakes because I was scared of taking it apart it just when I do stuff like that. He said he will look at it ASAP. Seems a decent person and my brother used him in last and didn’t even charge him to mend his laptop. But this will be 40£ at least. If worst comes to worst I will buy a new pc sooner then later any way. I did want to wait until amd in the and intel at the end of this year to buy one though but the prices any way be alot

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skipper847

Hi. Got my PC back this morning and the place was closed yesterday so not bad time. He said that the CPU fan wasn't even screwed in properly and not attached. Dont no how that happened unless it been like that all this time. Any way he cleaned everything inside and applied new paste on CPU and now every as it should be.

At the moment the CPU temp on idle is 33c and gets as low as 23c. System temp 27c. My apartment is some what on the warm side as this winter not even had the heating on its that warm. So far looks good and will see what a game is like later.

It only cost £40 even for clean so not bad deal when he put the CPU paste on and saved me messing it up even more. I was expecting at least double that amount.