CPU Fan Is Still Going Berserk -- Are These Temperatures Right?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts
My thermal paste came in today and I reapplied some, but my heatsink fan is still going crazy. I downloaded CPUID, so are my CPU's temperatures right?  I'm not sure what the correct temperatures are.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Temps look good Your fan is at 5600rpm, is that the stock heatsink? That sounds like it could cut your finger off if it's a large fan =) Make sure you didn't disable cpu temperature monitoring in the bios or something, or just reset to defaults.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ShaineTheNerd
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Temps look good Your fan is at 5600rpm, is that the stock heatsink? That sounds like it could cut your finger off if it's a large fan =) Make sure you didn't disable cpu temperature monitoring in the bios or something, or just reset to defaults.

Yes sir, stock heatsink. Lmao, I will make sure to keep my finger away from it then! :lol: By I actually didn't tinker around in the BIOS at all. I will see about that.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115434 Posts
Stock fan is usually loud, was so glad when I replaced mine with a 212 evo. No more loud noise and my idle temps dropped by 10/12c
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

BIOS / H/W Monitor / CPU Fan Setting / Automatic

Default for the CPU fan is "Full On". My NAS has the same BIOS, and it sounded like the Goodyear blimp before I did that. You can set a target temp and speed level.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShaineTheNerd

Default for the CPU fan is "Full On". My NAS has the same BIOS, and it sounded like the Goodyear blimp before I did that. You can set a target temp and speed level.

Blistrax
It's giving me an option to adjust target fan speed (Level 1 through 9 -- it's currently on 9 on automatic), which level should it be?
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blistrax

[QUOTE="Blistrax"]

ShaineTheNerd

It's giving me an option to adjust target fan speed (Level 1 through 9 -- it's currently on 9 on automatic), which level should it be?

Play around with it, but monitor your CPU temps. I think mine is set to 5. I believe that means that it will run at half speed until it needs to go faster to maintain the target temp you set. I set that at 50, if memory serves. But a NAS CPU does practically nothing, and it rarely goes above 45, anyway. Play with it. You don't want it going up and down all the time, because that would be even more annoying than a fan that is constantly a little loud.

If you want quiet, you have to pay. Generally speaking, the bigger the fan, the quieter it is, because it can spin slower and move the same amount of air. Heatsink design factors in, too, of course; a more efficient radiator will require less air. You can look at the decibel levels of a lot of popular coolers at Frostytech.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShaineTheNerd

[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"][QUOTE="Blistrax"]

Blistrax

Play around with it, but monitor your CPU temps. I think mine is set to 5. I believe that means that it will run at half speed until it needs to go faster to maintain the target temp you set. I set that at 50, if memory serves. But a NAS CPU does practically nothing, and it rarely goes above 45, anyway. Play with it. You don't want it going up and down all the time, because that would be even more annoying than a fan that is constantly a little loud.

If you want quiet, you have to pay. Generally speaking, the bigger the fan, the quieter it is, because it can spin slower and move the same amount of air. Heatsink design factors in, too, of course; a more efficient radiator will require less air. You can look at the decibel levels of a lot of popular coolers at Frostytech.

Thank you very much.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts
You live in an igloo?
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ShaineTheNerd
You live in an igloo?ShadowDeathX
No sir/ma'am.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShaineTheNerd
Okay, just tried playing TF2 for the first time on this PC and the RPM of the heatsink fan jumped from 4000 to almost 7000. The CPU temperature stayed at 40 C. What in the world is going on? Did I possibly screw up applying the thermal paste?
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShaineTheNerd
Okay, the problem isn't TF2, the CPU will just at random intervals, pardon my French, flip the fudge out. Could I have screwed up the thermal paste?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Temps are fine if the max it's going to is 40c. Could just get a fan controller and put it on lowish speed and forget about it. I'd get a new heatsink regardless with a corsair sp120 so it will always be quiet.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11699 Posts
CPU temp of 20C? 0.0
Avatar image for The_Animator420
The_Animator420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Animator420
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts
From that screenshot, it appears that your cpu is the coldest part of your rig, but you don't have any crazy cooling system to have that happen. It sounds to me like the temp sensor for the cpu is glitching out or going bad for some reason.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JigglyWiggly_
It's on idle, his room could just be about 60f, which is very cold to most people.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ShaineTheNerd
It's on idle, his room could just be about 60f, which is very cold to most people.JigglyWiggly_
Yeah, this is all at below 10 percent of CPU power, and my room is pretty chilly.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShaineTheNerd
I just started my computer for the first time today, and it (CPU) started 20 C, but then randomly jumped to 40 C with 6000 RPM on the fan.
Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blistrax

Get CoreTemp with the Grapher add-on. You can record a graph of CPU usage and temps over time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Those temps are too low unless it's super cold in your room. Something's not right.
ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ShaineTheNerd
Those temps are too low unless it's super cold in your room. Something's not right.Guppy507
I wouldn't say it's "super cold". It stays around 60-70 degrees in my room.