This topic is locked from further discussion.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

i just installed a new cpu cooler on my socket LGA 775 board and it says  error cpu  fan fail failed

if i ignore it windows wont boot up i just get blue screen even in safe mode.

THe fan seems to be working i can feel heat coming off it and its spinning up well.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
Did you hook up the fan to the cpu fan power connector on the board? You can always get into the bios and disable the cpu fan warning.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 osirisx3

Did you hook up the fan to the cpu fan power connector on the board? You can always get into the bios and disable the cpu fan warning. 04dcarraher

yes i did thats why i am wondering what im doing wrong.

Do you think the blue screen is from this or is windows just messed up?

I replaced a broken fan so maybe it still thinks it the same one.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Could always turn the warning off in BIOS, but that is more of a last option. It should be showing if plugged in correctly to the CPU fan connector.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]Did you hook up the fan to the cpu fan power connector on the board? You can always get into the bios and disable the cpu fan warning. osirisx3

yes i did thats why i am wondering what im doing wrong.

Do you think the blue screen is from this or is windows just messed up?

I replaced a broken fan so maybe it still thinks it the same one.

If you're getting a blue screen then it sounds like your heatsink might not be seated right or something. Are your cpu temp readings in the bios high?

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Are you sure that the fan is connected to the CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard?

If it is, get the case side off and look at the fan to see if it's working while your PC is running.

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts

i just installed a new cpu cooler on my socket LGA 775 board and it says  error cpu  fan fail failed

THe fan seems to be working i can feel heat coming off it and its spinning up well.

osirisx3
Normally, that means that you physically messed something up installing the new cooler. There's a screw making a short circuit on the mobo, or something is touching something it shouldn't, or you crushed the mobo layers by overtightening a screw, or something. If you want to know what I would do, and you are not going to like it, I would take the new cooler out and put the old one back in to see if that makes it work. In the course of doing that, you might discover the problem, and if it still does not work with the old one in, you know you've broken something.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osirisx3

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

Blistrax

Normally, that means that you physically messed something up installing the new cooler. There's a screw making a short circuit on the mobo, or something is touching something it shouldn't, or you crushed the mobo layers by overtightening a screw, or something. If you want to know what I would do, and you are not going to like it, I would take the new cooler out and put the old one back in to see if that makes it work. In the course of doing that, you might discover the problem, and if it still does not work with the old one in, you know you've broken something.

Well the bios still works so maybe i did not kill it? I knew this pc had problems before my friend gave it to me. I will try to install linux on it and see if it works later. 

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osirisx3

Are you sure that the fan is connected to the CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard?

If it is, get the case side off and look at the fan to see if it's working while your PC is running.

GamerwillzPS

yes i open the case its spinning up fine and i can feel the heat coming off it.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

osirisx3

How many cables does the fan have? Green (third cable) is for the sensor, is it connected properly?
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osirisx3

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

dramaybaz

How many cables does the fan have? Green (third cable) is for the sensor, is it connected properly?

it just has a 3 pin power connection