couple of things i didnt like/understand in GW2 betas

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mf1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 mf1986
Member since 2005 • 706 Posts

I'm a fan of GW and i got all the expansions, i played it for about 2 years untill it became boring for me.

I'really looking forward to this since i think Blizz killed WoW after Wotlk.

I Played GW2 in both the past betas and i had fun, but couple of things didnt add up for me.

1. lack of healing class can be hard for melee classes. what I found out that if there is an event where players have to down a boss, melee players keep on dieng and their healing wasnt enough for taking the dmg. it was much safer for casters and rangers. unless to stand at the back it is nearly impossible to not get "DOWNED" at the tutorial boss.

2. the health for all classes seems to be the same. I dont know why is this a good thing. the balance of the traditional rpgs where warriors have more health always seems fair and to work.

3. the game needs more optimising, i think others have said this too. the game is beautiful but most systems apparentlycant get 60 frames on HIGH settings.

4. What are the benefits of having a party? I know many like it that you can help others disregarding being in party with them or not, and get xp and loot for the kills. but i want to know if being in a party has any benefits?

I like this game and hope to see more refinement to the combat. if im wrong on anything please let me know.

overall im looking forward to this game :)

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
1. That's where support classes come in, the reason the melee classes were dying is because everyone is new to the game, at most anyone gets 3 days of gameplay a month which generally changes between each BWE. It will improve as everyone's skills at the game improve and actually use their support roles for people who are taking the heavy beatings. I myself at one point noticed melee players were dying sooo often that I would have to actually defend them and their stupidity, there's a dodge button to help players dodge the hard hits which can be done as I've done it myself regularly. 2. Health is the same because each class now depends on skill and their classes advantages and disadvantages instead of "I have more health so I'll win" but I'm not so sure the health is as similar as you say because most people barely get passed level 20 and gameplay is different from WoW so I think you just assume that warriors should have more health because they had tank roles in WoW and required it where as in GW2 anyone can heal or support a warrior so he has potentially an entire raiding party of heals just waiting to be cast on him. 3. Yeah it's not perfect but I'll be damned if I've had any issues since the previous BWE, maybe a little stuttering but that's it. The game is very new so you can't expect it to be absolutely spotless the minute it's released. WoW is what... 6 years old now? It's had all that time to fix performance issues. 4. Parties are probably where your first point has the biggest impact, instead of having an uncoordinated bunch of newbies all battling one boss you'll get to better organize the group/party and designate who does what resulting in teamwork and less dying. It's a beta remember, it's entire purpose was to have every flaw possible exposed so that it can then be fixed so if you had issues but simply complained to yourself and didn't report them then that's no help to no one, but alas I'm dying to play this game when it's released and although the issues are still there for some I'm entirely happy with how it's turned out for me. No performance issues apart from network limitations and the sheer number of players and I'm more than happy to play alone since I don't know anyone who is buying the game also. Hell maybe we can all get together into a guild :P
Esoteric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Esoteric
Member since 2003 • 720 Posts

I'm a fan of GW and i got all the expansions, i played it for about 2 years untill it became boring for me.

I'really looking forward to this since i think Blizz killed WoW after Wotlk.

I Played GW2 in both the past betas and i had fun, but couple of things didnt add up for me.

1. lack of healing class can be hard for melee classes. what I found out that if there is an event where players have to down a boss, melee players keep on dieng and their healing wasnt enough for taking the dmg. it was much safer for casters and rangers. unless to stand at the back it is nearly impossible to not get "DOWNED" at the tutorial boss.

2. the health for all classes seems to be the same. I dont know why is this a good thing. the balance of the traditional rpgs where warriors have more health always seems fair and to work.

3. the game needs more optimising, i think others have said this too. the game is beautiful but most systems apparentlycant get 60 frames on HIGH settings.

4. What are the benefits of having a party? I know many like it that you can help others disregarding being in party with them or not, and get xp and loot for the kills. but i want to know if being in a party has any benefits?

I like this game and hope to see more refinement to the combat. if im wrong on anything please let me know.

overall im looking forward to this game :)

mf1986

1. Everyone gets downed by the tutorial boss...it's automatic. They do it to introduce you to the idea of the downed stat. There's no avoiding it. Also, all "melee" classes have ranged options with the proper weapons.

2. The health may be the same, but different classes are allowed to wear different armor (light, medium, heavy). In practice, this basically gives more HP (more hits to die).

3. Optimization is ongoing and they aren't done yet (and it will most likely continue after release).

4. I think the only benefit is that you can see everyone's health bars at a convenient glance. Also, group chat for better instruction.

mf1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mf1986

hmm....

I hope the support from other classes work well, since the melee was painful at the beta

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
2. the health for all classes seems to be the same. I dont know why is this a good thing. the balance of the traditional rpgs where warriors have more health always seems fair and to work.mf1986
lol no. I thought everyone hated the Holy Trinity system....
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23942 Posts

1. This was the result of poor event scaling. Which is inevitable due to hte large concentration of players in the event, expect this to happen a lot early on. I had no issues soloing as a melee. There are no dedicated healers but there are support characters which can prevent that damage from being taken in the first place.

2. Not really, my warrior had like 10k more hp than my friends thief in WvW

3. Optimizations is this game's biggest concern

4. Party is mostly just a way to get more organized

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#7 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I personally don't hate the trinity system but then again I haven't played many mmos. the downed state is an interesting one because i don't find it fun at all and I do think that caster / ranged classes have huge advantages. I was playing warrior and having a tough time in the first beta weekend, switched to bow and things went easier. It's hard to talk about balance in such an early stage, obviously that is one thing they are going to be changing but the balance in the end game is really the most important.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad

I personally don't hate the trinity system but then again I haven't played many mmos. the downed state is an interesting one because i don't find it fun at all and I do think that caster / ranged classes have huge advantages. I was playing warrior and having a tough time in the first beta weekend, switched to bow and things went easier. It's hard to talk about balance in such an early stage, obviously that is one thing they are going to be changing but the balance in the end game is really the most important. nutcrackr

Ranged and casters dont have that advantage anymore, especially in PvP.

mf1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mf1986

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]I personally don't hate the trinity system but then again I haven't played many mmos. the downed state is an interesting one because i don't find it fun at all and I do think that caster / ranged classes have huge advantages. I was playing warrior and having a tough time in the first beta weekend, switched to bow and things went easier. It's hard to talk about balance in such an early stage, obviously that is one thing they are going to be changing but the balance in the end game is really the most important. Maroxad

How so?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]I personally don't hate the trinity system but then again I haven't played many mmos. the downed state is an interesting one because i don't find it fun at all and I do think that caster / ranged classes have huge advantages. I was playing warrior and having a tough time in the first beta weekend, switched to bow and things went easier. It's hard to talk about balance in such an early stage, obviously that is one thing they are going to be changing but the balance in the end game is really the most important. mf1986

How so?

They nerfed ranged damage slightly and buffed melee damage slightly, and tweaked AI too, to keep it from aiming always at whoever's closest. I played both a thief and a warrior, and had no problems meleeing since BWE1. Back then it was hell, but now it's fine. It just takes more time to learn. Riskier, but more rewarding. As for health, warriors could have as much as twice a thief's health later on. And parties are for organization. You can mark and draw on the minimap, see your party members on the minimap, see their health, buffs and debuffs, see their names even through walls, etc.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]I personally don't hate the trinity system but then again I haven't played many mmos. the downed state is an interesting one because i don't find it fun at all and I do think that caster / ranged classes have huge advantages. I was playing warrior and having a tough time in the first beta weekend, switched to bow and things went easier. It's hard to talk about balance in such an early stage, obviously that is one thing they are going to be changing but the balance in the end game is really the most important. mf1986

How so?

I dont know what they did, but Melees in PvP went from being gimped to OP, I think their damage was increased and changes were made to make them harder to kite.

People whined a lot about Warriors and thieves, especially warriors using the Greatsword and axe.

As for PvE, I had no issues as my melee in the first BWE and it got even easier on the second. I never PvEd in the third so...

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

About the optimization; I'm fairly certain they said that the beta doesn't use much of your gpu and runs mostly on the cpu, or something like that. So that may be the reason.