Counter-Strike Source: System requirements

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kiltman99 (25 posts) -

Hey, I got a new computer recently and I was just wondering if it can run CSS. PLSSSSSS HEELLLLLP! I really would like an answer on this!

Computer:

Dell Dimension DIME521

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processer 3800+

2.00 GHz, 960mb of RAM

Nvidia 6150LE integrated

That is right off of my computer specs, I am a little confused as to if the computer has a 3.8 GHz processer, or a 2.00 GHz processer speed. I also have comcast internet, but it is via a wireless router. Please tell me if I can run Counter-Strike: Source succesfully. Games I can run well are:

Call of Duty

Call of Duty: United Offensive

Halo free trial edition

Battlefield 2 offline with very low settings and a little bit of lag when I'm watching a tank explode etc.

Half-Life

Dungeon Siege II

Rise of Nations

Probably Fable, haven't tried yet

Thanks for Your Time!!!!!

#2 Posted by kris2456 (144 posts) -

Nvidia 6150LE integrated

Kiltman99

Thats your problem for gaming right there. That is onboard gfx which is a P.O.S.

Having said that your PC will probably be able to run CSS on low since it scales well.

PS. your processor is 2Ghz (3800 is a confusing model number).

#3 Posted by Kiltman99 (25 posts) -
Thanks a bunch, I'm looking at getting something like an Nvidia Geforce 7300LE, or an Nvidia 6800. Do you think that will helP?
#4 Posted by bigd131 (144 posts) -
dont get an le they are horrible your better off with the 6 series than a 7 series le
#5 Posted by ElectricNZ (2457 posts) -
lol, "think that would help" you'd get atleast a 500% boost in fps with the 6800. NEVER TOUCH AN LE CARD.
#6 Posted by mark4091 (3780 posts) -
Yeah I used to have that it will run fine, but you'll want to upgrade that card eventually.
#7 Posted by dunamistheou (4744 posts) -
A 3800 AMD is like a 3.8hz P4 Intel.
#8 Posted by vegas_6 (150 posts) -
It'll run but you won't get 100fps with the graphics card. Definitely upgrade to at least like at 7300gs or something which is relatively cheap.
#9 Posted by _Pedro_ (6829 posts) -
get yourself a 7600GT or a 7900GT(if they still sell those), I think the rest is great. How much did you pay for it?
#10 Posted by dunamistheou (4744 posts) -
Well, if it's Dell, they probably put in a mobo with AGP or Pcix16 if he ordered a PC with integrated graphics. Yep, Dell is that cheap.
#11 Posted by Kiltman99 (25 posts) -

Hey, thanks for your input, and you guys were right. I used my friends steam account when he was over, and CS:S Runs, with only a little lag. I'm set for now, but after I get a 360, i'm gonna put money away for a new gfx card. One of my other friends got the 8800gtx for his birthday... Now all I need to do is learn how to not sck at counter strike. it seems like I can't find any servers with newbies or noobs in them. I didn't have any problem like that with COD, which I got pretty good at, an average of 60 frags per 1/2 hour in servers full of hackers :) I'm decent at Halo too. But I suck bigtime at CS:S. Whatever. i also have no idea what kindd of slots my PC has, though I'm gessin at leats AGP.

Thanks

#12 Posted by Jax56 (25 posts) -
the thing with AMD cpu's is that they have less I.P.S-instucitons per second,(takes less mhz to do the same processing as a 3.8ghz P4) as these guys have said that intergrated gpu is bad,id disable the adaptor,then go out and get a 6600gt or something,if uv got around 300$ get a 7900gt or something,AND uv most likly got a PCI-E slot,..........google belarc advisor,it scans ur pc for everything you have which will help you
#13 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12901 posts) -
Hell, by 7600LE could barely run Quake 4, that card would not run CS Source at a nice framerate even on low. When I switched to a 7950GT I went from the demo of Quake 4 getting 25 or less on lower settings to maxed at 60fps. I have the same RAM and CPU as you, get a better card and welcome to PC gaming.
#14 Posted by Kiltman99 (25 posts) -
Alright, if I get a new gfx card, its going to be an Nvidia, and prbly a 6800 or 7600, or something that is 80-150 dollars. i've learned my lesson, and Im not getting an LE card. I am pretty well set for now though, cause I turned a couple textures to medium, and now my framerate is pretty good. It still feels better to play than at my friends house, who has a Radeon 9600pro, but has 512mb RAM and a very old PC, though it claims it is 2ghz, but u wouldn't know it...
#15 Posted by Kiltman99 (25 posts) -
I think the rest is great. How much did you pay for it?_Pedro_
I payed about 600-700 dollars for the PC, but In the end it was 1000, b/c my dad bought a new printer and a 20inch display for his work. Now im stuck with the old Toshiba analog display that is the size of a freakin Buick!
#16 Posted by Sandro909 (15221 posts) -

Thanks a bunch, I'm looking at getting something like an Nvidia Geforce 7300LE, or an Nvidia 6800. Do you think that will helP?Kiltman99

Either of those will easily run CSS on high. 

#17 Posted by don_dashi (25 posts) -
plz send me wallhack cheat
#18 Posted by ecks001 (58 posts) -

hey... can i GeForce 7500 LE ruN CSS?!?!?!??!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!!
if it can.. what would the FPS be...?!

#19 Posted by 9mmSpliff (21751 posts) -
youll play it, but on the lowest of the settings
#20 Posted by Meu2k7 (11809 posts) -
No you cant, WHY!? Apperently it costs anywhere between $2000-$6000 to play PC games didnt you know!?
#21 Posted by ecks001 (58 posts) -

oh . but would it lag? and what would the FPS be? anbyody know?

#22 Posted by 9mmSpliff (21751 posts) -
your sig is horrible.
#23 Posted by ecks001 (58 posts) -
what?
Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
#24 Posted by barney_calhoun_ (3887 posts) -

No ecks, he means meu sig, wich IS horrible, its a lie, and he does not know whats he is talking about

Get out of the pc boards troll

#25 Posted by WhiteSnake5000 (12454 posts) -

youll play it, but on the lowest of the settings9mmSpliff
You can also play Oblivion with it... lawl

Get a 8600GT about $100.

#26 Posted by ecks001 (58 posts) -

[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]youll play it, but on the lowest of the settingsWhiteSnake5000

You can also play Oblivion with it... lawl

Get a 8600GT about $100.

is it geforce?

#27 Posted by WhiteSnake5000 (12454 posts) -
yea
#28 Posted by pacman12312 (25 posts) -

for my laptop it says that i have a nvidia geforce 7000m,

it also says something about the expandable video memory is up to 896 shared VRAM, im not that good with laptops or computers in general so all i need to know is: can my laptop run counter strike source, half-life 2, half-life 2 deathmatch, day of defeat source and call of duty 4 modern warfare?

#29 Posted by inyourface_12 (14757 posts) -
800x600 low settings, i speak from experience using my parents mobo and my dad playing half life 2
#30 Posted by OPawnSacrifice (25 posts) -

If anyone ever reads this thread, I just have to say

I have a AMD 3000+, 1GB RAM, Geforce 6600LE. And I can run Oblivion on Mid-Low settings and CSS maxed out. Doom 3(?) maxed out. BF2 Maxed out. BF2142 Mid-Low.

To the original poster...if you have got CSS now I'm in no doubt that you've learnt its mainly full of hacking idiots and lag n00bs. GunGame = Hackers. Zombie Mod = Lag n00bs. Normal games...can be boring.

#31 Posted by ovideatza (25 posts) -

Hey I've got a New Aluminium MacBook dualcore 2.4 , 2 GB of RAM , and integrated nVidia 9400M 256 MB shared memory !! My Mac will run Counter-Strike Source at maximum video settings ? please tell me !!

:?

#32 Posted by dman624 (25 posts) -
I have these specs and i can run CS:S on low-medium settings. i can also run DOD:S and doom 3 on medium . COD 4 will run at a playable 25 fps as long as long as u set everything to low. i can also run UT3
#33 Posted by Mage_7 (1065 posts) -

Yep you can run it at max settings.

#34 Posted by TheBigBadGRIM (1057 posts) -
LE = Lame Edition
#35 Posted by dman624 (25 posts) -
I think You will be fine. Cuz i can run Doom3,Cod4(LOW),Bioshock (LOW), I havnt really tried DOD:S or CS:S but i am assuming they can be run. cuz css and dod are from 2004 and games like cod4 are from 07
#36 Posted by joshott (87 posts) -
ok ok ok wait a minute. i like nvidia as much as the next guy, but hwat about ATI? the ATI x600-1300 series are great cards, and they are cheap. i can run fallout 3 on medium with 30 fps on this card. even though its not even supported. i say you should look at some good cards. and DO NOT GET AN 8600, they suck, get a 7600 or 7800. they were the next step down from the 8800. right now, i have an nvidia quadro fx 1300, which isnt that great of a card. 128 mb memory, but it ran battlefield 2142 on high. in my opinion, the best cards for those types of games, CSS, is the 7600. or the 8800 Gts
#37 Posted by joshott (87 posts) -
btw, shared memory isnt good, it takes crappy memory from your ram. you want good dedicated video ram.
#38 Posted by aura_enchanted (7942 posts) -

cheapest and most recent card ive found that wouldnt break anyones wallet:

8400gs 512 mb.

#39 Posted by johnny27 (4400 posts) -

Hey, thanks for your input, and you guys were right. I used my friends steam account when he was over, and CS:S Runs, with onlya little lag. I'm set for now, but after I get a 360, i'm gonna put money away for a new gfx card. One of my other friends got the 8800gtx for his birthday... Now all I need to do is learn how to not sck at counter strike. it seems like I can't find any servers with newbies or noobs in them. I didn't have any problem like that with COD, which I got pretty good at, an average of 60 frags per 1/2 hour in servers full of hackers :) I'm decent at Halo too. But I suck bigtime at CS:S. Whatever. i also have no idea what kindd of slots my PC has, thoughI'm gessin at leats AGP.

Thanks

Kiltman99
dont worry ur not the only one i cant seem to get any good at css eithier :(
#40 Posted by OoSuperMarioO (6539 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kiltman99"]

Hey, thanks for your input, and you guys were right. I used my friends steam account when he was over, and CS:S Runs, with onlya little lag. I'm set for now, but after I get a 360, i'm gonna put money away for a new gfx card. One of my other friends got the 8800gtx for his birthday... Now all I need to do is learn how to not sck at counter strike. it seems like I can't find any servers with newbies or noobs in them. I didn't have any problem like that with COD, which I got pretty good at, an average of 60 frags per 1/2 hour in servers full of hackers :) I'm decent at Halo too. But I suck bigtime at CS:S. Whatever. i also have no idea what kindd of slots my PC has, thoughI'm gessin at leats AGP.

Thanks

johnny27

dont worry ur not the only one i cant seem to get any good at css eithier :(

lol...Get familiar with the AWP.

#41 Posted by GoogleyMoogleY (25 posts) -
Hey guy make sure you have a pci-e slot, b4 u buy. You might have a plain pci or agp, most cards over 6600 are gonna take a pci-e if Im not mistaken. You might try looking at tigerdirect.com they have really good sales all the time on vid cards, 9800gt was 99.00 dollars last I looked. 780i tri sli nvidia board Q6600 overclocked to 3.2 gigs 8 gigs of OCZ sli ram 3-8800ultra's overclocked 4-500 gig sata's 1000 watt psu vista ultimate 64 case- Alienware area 51 black w/custom paint
#42 Posted by kemar7856 (11743 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kiltman99"]

Nvidia 6150LE integrated

kris2456

Thats your problem for gaming right there. That is onboard gfx which is a P.O.S.

Having said that your PC will probably be able to run CSS on low since it scales well.

PS. your processor is 2Ghz (3800 is a confusing model number).

he actually can play mot of those games with a 6150LE
#43 Posted by adoclint11 (25 posts) -
hey i just got a new computer and im ALSO wondering if i can run Counter Strike Soure: These are my computer SPECS: Manufacture : MSI Processor: Intel Atom CPU N280 @1.66GHz 1.67GHz Ram : 1GB System Type : 32-bit Operating system Operating System : Windows 7 starter